iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New truck needs help with a log loading system

Started by Robert Long, July 08, 2007, 10:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

379hammerdown

I've been looking at the milemarkers and its nice to hear others speak fondly of them :) Just because I'm cheap  :D I was looking at this one for $390 Mile Marker PE8000http://www.winchdepot.com/winchDetail.asp?partNumber=7650140 and wanted some opinions if this is enough to handle loading logs onto my trailer? I have a Terrible terrible terrible winch right now which I HATE and want to get rid of it!

Dan_Shade

that's an electric winch, and probably not nearly as good as their hydraulic products.

you get what you pay for.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jim_Wahl

I switched from an electric winch to a hydraulic Milemarker about two years ago, and all I have to say is
I should have done that a lot sooner! The electric one worked fine as long as I had plenty of time to do
the job. The busier I got, the more motors and batteries I had to replace. After reading what DanG had
to say about his hydraulic winch I decided to give one a try. Hydraulic is the only way to go!
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

rfalk

Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

jpgreen

How bout' dead heading higher up?

I've got this slide in dump bed for my pickup. I was wondering if I made a A-frame that inserted into the rear stake pockets with my winch mounted at the head of the dump bed, could I dead head logs onto my bed?

I've got a ton of 10-12" diameter x 8' to 14' long logs to pick up. If I could easily get them on my rig, I could dump them off quikly. Prolly need a real high dead head A-frame.

Any ideas?... DanG?

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-55810

-Sorry for the link but the "Click to copy" function will not work with my Mac OS, and I can't access the picture URL (like you used to be able to do) to add the code on the post any more to post a pic, so It just don't work for my computer..  :(
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Furby

Just right click and open "properties".
Highlight and copy, then paste to your post.
Add the image tags around it and you are good to go! 8)

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13183/2parcopy.jpg[/img]

jpgreen

Thanks Furby but Macs don't have "Properties".

Furby

Robert Long

I too own a Mac and I too can not post pics since the change.

Back to the winch......What powers the motor of a hydraulic winch....does it not need electric power from the truck?     Can I not just tap onto the lift system of the truck and use the hydraulic system there to run the winch,  it is located just under the truck box and could be an easy installation.

I like that Milemaker winch and sent them an e-mail as to availability in my next of the woods.

Robert

Dan_Shade

i have it running on my power steering pump

if you have a hydraulic pump that runs on a battery, you're sort of back in the same boat, unless you have a deep cycle battery, but even then, most "long duty cycle" systems are going to be more than 12 volts.

if your lift setup works on a PTO powered pump, you're set, but may need a pressure reducer, i'm a spark chaser, the hydraulic stuff confuses me :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Robert Long

Dan_shade

Thanks for the advice and I too am not great with the hydraulics stuff so I guess I should visit someone around here with the smarts to give me answers so I don't goof up the system. ;D :-\

Robert

DanG

Robert, the MileMarker is designed to work off the power steering pump.  Don't try to fool Mother Nature.  They'll ask you what kind of truck you have, and will send you the kit to install it on that truck.  It would be pointless to try and hook it up to the dump pump when it is so easy to connect it as they designed it.

The only word of caution I have about the MM winch is, fasten that sucker down GOOD!  Don't even think about attaching it to the bed of a pickup.  It will peel that bed off your truck like a banana.  Go through the bed and weld it to the frame!  When I get serious about pulling, I have to tie the front of the truck to a tree, or it will just drag the truck across the yard.  One of my trailers is decked with PSP.  One time the hook got hung on the PSP and folded it over, tearing out a bolt in the process.  That was with the truck idling at 600rpm.  The MileMarker is serious equipment, and the only thing it doesn't have is quit.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

DanG-

-what do you think about this one?

...How bout' dead heading higher up?

I've got this slide in dump bed for my pickup. I was wondering if I made a A-frame that inserted into the rear stake pockets with my winch mounted at the head of the dump bed, could I dead head logs onto my bed?

I've got a ton of 10-12" diameter x 8' to 14' long logs to pick up. If I could easily get them on my rig, I could dump them off quikly. Prolly need a real high dead head A-frame.

Any ideas?... DanG?...  ;D

DanG

Yeah, that would work...for a little while.  I'm thinkin' you would tear up the hind end of the truck, though, if you use the stake pockets in a regular pickup bed.  The arch wouldn't have to be all that tall.  Just enough so the end of the log clears the bed of the dump box.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

I was thinking of using the stake pockets on the dump bed.  It would be easier to beef them up and/or repair them.

If I had a good stack in the bed wouldn't I need a higher A-frame to clear the load, and get to the top?

I think I'll run the winch cable to the top of the frame, then hang some log tongs that I could adjust up and down. All I'm talkin is logs to 12-16" max.

DanG

How many you reckon you can put on a pickup, along with the weight of the dumper?  Besides, you said you only had a ton of'em.  That would be about 3, eh? ;D

jpgreen

Millitons..  :D

Well- I've stacked by hand 10" dia x 8-10' footers on that truck to a bit over the roof. I've got a one ton axle with overloads, and I stay in the neighborhood and limp home if I have too..  ;D

Robert Long

jpgreen

The road cops would enjoy your moving up here! :D

The overload fines are steep and an insecure load is even heftier :D

Would you be better off with a trailer and the truck, you could carry more with out overload problems

Then rig the trailer to load logs for you. ;)

Robert

Robert Long

DanG

Thanks for the information on the MileMarker, I was wondering what drives that winch and you clarified that and for sure I would tie into framing no matter what winch I use. 8)

Thanks

Robert

jpgreen

I load small diameter logs to the top of the bed all the time.  No problem..  ;D

Robert Long

jpgreen

I over load too when I have too, and I believe we all do, but up here a load restriction is in place for the type of truck and with that neat dump box,tools, a full load of fuel, the people on board, etc. :-\ :-\, I will bet you can not put too much more weight (logs) on the truck without being over weight. ???

I also have a ford F250 with a custom made back end and it got pulled over by the police, they were OK with the truck safety but noted the truck empty was probably over weight with all the extras on it......sure enough, when I went onto the public scales I was very close to being over weight empty, mostly because of all the extras on it.   

Robert

jpgreen

Police? what's that..  :D

In saw a sheriff once, but I think they only have 2 for our big county.  I thinks they drive green and white SWV's with protect and serve on their side panel or somethin' like that..  ;D

I had to pull my gun on a poor missguided fellow one time. My wife called 911 cause she throught I was gonna shoot him and she was right, but he saw the error of his ways.  911 never did come out..   ::) ;D

Who's 911 anyway?..  ??? :P ???

Thank You Sponsors!