iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

edger blade life

Started by spencerhenry, July 11, 2007, 08:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

i have a woodmizer edger. my blades dont last very long, in 125 hours i have used up 2 sets of blades. missing teeth, and lots of chipped teeth. i run alot of old barnboard, and all the stuff is dry. how long does every body elses blades last.

bseago

I have 900 hours on my woodmizer edger and just had them resharpened for the 2nd time. I did have 1 tooth replaced after about 300 hr.

Percy

Its  rocks in the bark that removes the teeth Im thinkin. I hadda run of old spruce boomsticks that were floating in the ocean for several years and the edger teeth didnt show any signs of wear after about a 100 hours. A couple of days of cutting ground based skidding logs from rocky terrain and there were only gums where the teeth used to be. I can change blades in less than a half an hour nowadays( mine is the old style with the big collars, not the allen screw type) so its not that big a deal but a pian non the less.. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

AusLJW

I have a 25hp WM twin blade edger.  Sharpen blades after about 30 or 40 machine hours.  Cutting Eucalypts which are sometimes a bit tough.  Dry wood really makes it work hard.  I reckon it would be good with another 10hp- Don't know what the Woodmizer people would think about this.

Regards

MartyParsons

Cat Diesel! 26hp The Kubota Diesel works also. 22hp
What is your feed rate set at? There are two different
Feed rates. Larger pulley on top 50 -60 ft per minĀ  Smaller pulley on top is 70-80 ft per min.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

FiremanEd

Accutrac electric edger (aka Energizer Bunny)

We replace the two most used blades about once a week. Thats 50hrs and roughly 27mbf of 4/4 lumber.

Cost $21 to sharpen 2 blades & $3/tip that needs replacing.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Ron Wenrich

What kind of saw do these kinds of edgers use?  I've only been around industrial quality saws and they all use an inserted tooth saw.  My vertical edger can handle a 7" bite, while my horizontal can handle 4".

The inserted tooth is really a low maintenance item.  When they get dull, you sharpen on the saw with either an electric sharpener or a hand file.  When the teeth get too short, you pull them out and put new ones in. 

The only time I've had teeth break off is when the operators let the saws get too dull.  I may have to sharpen a couple of times a week on the vertical edger.  But, I do large volumes and  I use the edger to split the slabs for easier chipping.  I also run debarked logs.  Dry logs and harder species are harder on the teeth.

Can you convert over to an inserted blade on these types of edgers? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

For cedar up to 6/4 we use an S&W edger with 7" blades with carbide tips. We use these small  1/8" kerf blades to keep it from shattering the edges of the cedar.  We run a huge amount of 5/8".  The thinner the stock the more prone to shattering the edges.  We can get 100 plus hours of run time before sharpening.  Cedar knots can knock a tooth out if they are not well soldered in. This small edger has been in our mill since 1992 and still does a good job after 20,000 hours.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!