iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hi-Performance blade guide rollers

Started by Chuck White, March 21, 2010, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I know this subject came up quite a few months ago, but it happened again with a little more dramatic results.

Yesterday, I was sawing pine, some dead & dry and some fresh.
I pulled the lever to engage the blade just a few inches from the end of a cant and before the blade engaged the cant, a chip came from somewhere and fell onto the blade just before the "idle side" blade roller.
The chip was too big to just go through and it lodged between the blade and the blade roller and all of a sudden the complete "movable" blade guide, roller, shield, everything went slam completely out of it's rollers and slammed into the sheild in front of the brake/clutch lever.
Lots of noise and sparks.
I know that there is a bolt that is supposed to stop the blade guide when the 2 blade guide rollers close up to about 5 inches from each other.  Somehow, the blade guide bypassed that bolt.  My fix for that is to put 2 more washers on this bolt.
I reinstalled the blade guide, changed the blade and went back to sawing.
The results are very different if you are out in "free air" or in a cant.
Anyone else ever have this happen.

Kind of makes me want to go back to the factory blade guide rollers.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

I've had the debarker fling a loose piece of bark over the guard and onto the blade. The blade guide actually stopped at the end of its travel, so no harm was done.

Sure got my attention, though.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tom Sawyer

I have also had that happen, but mine stopped where it was supposed to.  You are right about getting your attention :o

Chuck White

I know it got my attention.
I jumped, and threw the blade lever out-of-gear all in one move.
The poor tailer was about 20 feet and his eyes were as big as horse t----.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Hi chuck
Had bark, especially cherry,  jam the infeed roller several times when I had your mill, but only when a cant was in place and it stopped the guide arm.
Have had long shavings stop the infeed roller and cause a groove to be worn in the flange.
Started sawing late last week on some sizeable spruce logs  and a bunch of Ash. I would post pics if I can figure out how, I keep getting error messages.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

This is the second incident with the blade guide arm.

It was just shavings or a wad of sawdust that caused the problem this time, last time it was a piece of bark.

I know what you mean by the confusion in posting pics.
I've been trying to get a friend to come over and show me how to post.
I just hate the long winded instructions, and I'm not that literate with all the computer jargon!  ;D

MartyParsons

The newer mills have a brace as part of the blade guide arm motor, that it can not come out. Bend the guard up so the it hits the 3/8 bolt you installed. These guards get bent. Make sure your blade guide arm rollers are adjusted tighter.
On the newer mills you need to remove the bracket ( five bolts) to get the blade guide arm out.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!