iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak?

Started by sweetfarm, October 24, 2020, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetfarm

This tree is located in West Central Kentucky.  I was told that it was a white oak. I do not live near this tree but it doesn't seem like a white oak to me.  Can anybody identify this tree?

LeeB

Chinkapin oak perhaps?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stavebuyer

Chinkapin Oak Quercus Muhlenbergi

In the White Oak family. Lumber is sold as White Oak and can be used for barrel staves. Color of the wood tends be a little greenish.

Magicman

The leaves look kinda broad and the bark looks "platey".  If it was growing on my property it would be Swamp Chestnut Oak. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

They are very similar in leaf shape and scaly bark, but chinkapin oak leaves have sharper "teeth".  However, the acorns are very different.  Chinkapin oak acorns are smaller, like the last inch of your index finger.  On the other hand, swamp chestnut oak acorns can be very large, some as big as ping pong balls. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

That bark, on what is a fairly old tree, lacks the depth of the ridges which a Chestnut Oak has at that age, looks more like white oak bark but not the leaf which seems to lack the Chinkapin pointyness?
 I've read that oaks cross pollinate and can be a morphidite species? :D
In a similar thought, we used to rent an old farm house that had a dirt road bank with two roots that were a white oak and a poplar that had actually joined together on the surface so I know trees are promiscuous. it wasn't my tree to chop on or logical but I'd like to have seen the wood grain therein?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

sweetfarm

Thanks for all the responses.  I was convinced that it was a Chinkapin oak. We didn't see or find any large nuts around the tree. If this is in the white oak family that would explain why I was told that it was a white.

WDH

It is in the white oak family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

widetrackman

Looks like what we call around here Cow Oak.

Thank You Sponsors!