iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found something odd on my LT35 today,

Started by 123maxbars, December 26, 2011, 07:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I have had 3 mills with the metal bolts and can't remember a single time that it has messed up a blade.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pineywoods

If there is 1/16 inch clearance and the band is rubbing the block/bolt, I'd be looking for the reason. It will be a mechanical resonance situation, and that's something thats not easy to comprehend. Slightly changing the drive belt tension or engine rpm just a tad might stop the flutter. Blade tension will also have an effect. Too much hook angle in real hard woods can also cause blade flutter.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ely

Tom, told me along time ago in a pm about that bolt, it started out as a bearing on a bolt. he said it was up there in case the band got to moving up and down too much it was to keep it all in check.
Tom went on to say he had seen the bearing replaced with all varieties of wood and a few plastic and other soft materials. In Toms' words "you can put anything you like up there, chances are it will never touch the bands anyway."

Jeff

My mill still has the bearing up there (87 lt30 )  It's seized up. Does not turn. It was that way when I got the mill. Tom also said not to worry about it, it didn't need to turn.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

millwright

I also have an LT35 and have seen the wooden block, but it doesnt appear that it has made any contact that is visible after sawing about 15,000 bd ft.

123maxbars

After alot of research and talking with my woodmizer Rep it looks like the wood block was the right side, but came loose from the two screws and was lower that it was suppose to be causing it to rub against my blade.  Thanks for the help on here!!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Chuck White

Glad to hear that you have the problem taken care of 123maxbars.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

musikwerke

My 1987 LT30 has the roller bearing on the stud.  I replaced it and set the clearance when I rebuilt the mill.  It stays clean and rust free on the circumference so something touches it once in a while.
John

Jeff

It may be that its simply getting scoured with sawdust. The outer part of mine gets clean looking to when I saw, but nothing ever touches it that I know of.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!