iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction, having a great time sawing!

Started by ValleyNathan, April 06, 2020, 08:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValleyNathan

Hello all! 

I have been lurking here for a while soaking up as much info as I can, thought I should finally join up and post.  I work in education and lately we have had a "restructuring" of sorts due to the virus (teaching online, not the greatest but it cuts out 6 hours of commuting time/week).  This has given me some extra time to get some projects done, like setting up my mill!  

I bought this mill (Hudson "Oscar 18") a couple years ago with the idea of milling my late father in laws old dead walnut trees into lumber to make a family dining table.  The trees turned out to be unusable and rotten, maybe I should have investigated that first?....... :D but now I have a mill ;D.   I paid somewhere around $1000 for the mill and 16 blades, which I thought was an OK deal.  It fit within my budget and is as much mill as I need for now anyway.  I've gone through the mill, changed oil and filters, changed out the blade back support bearings, changed belts, and applied grease to all the grease bibs.

My first sawing attempt was a couple redwood yard tree logs, which I think turned out fairly well apart from some waviness in the last couple cuts, I think my blade became dull (there was no metal in the wood).   The mill seems to cut well with a sharp blade.  I'm thinking about putting a bigger motor on it for a bit more power but overall its probably not necessary for what ill be doing.  

Anyway, I attached a picture of my little setup.  I am "log poor" here so I have to cut what I can get my hands on.  Also, my material handling tools consist of a cant hook, my Polaris Ranger, and a winch, so I will be keeping them light until I get more experience.  Anyway, sorry for the rambling post...looking forward to learning a ton more from you all!   

mroldstyle

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum valley Nathan .
You are making sawdust now and there are many things that can dull your band besides metal and some of the hide in the bark of the trees.

ValleyNathan

I have read about the bark contributing to blade dulling (probably here), I did saw through bark on the redwood trees.  My next batch of logs have no bark on them so it will be interesting to see how my next blade fares through those.  I plan to wash all the dirt off and make sure there are no rocks stuck to the logs.  These blades were all resharpened by the previous owner (who had a proper blade sharpening setup) but I do not know the dimensions of the teeth, angle, set etc.  I am still reading up on all of that.  I have not decided if I will attempt to resharpen these when they go dull or start with a fresh set of blades.  

I also learned that the blade guides should be aligned, which I did not check up on before sawing the redwood.  Ill double check that as well.  

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

Better buy a Logrite cantdog or a peavey. Sponsor on the left, nice people!! The site will tell you the difference between the two.
Sawing is fun, as you well know. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ValleyNathan

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  

I do have a cant hook which has been very helpful.   A log arch looks like it would be helpful as well, I might try fabricating one.  

Wolfgang Rother

Nebraska

Where are you located? Glad you have an outlet for your new free time. Enjoy the sawdust...

ValleyNathan

I am in central California, outside Fresno.   I was hoping to saw tomorrow but rain is forecast.  Need to build a cover for my little wood mill area. 

Here is what I came up with to manage my sawdust accumulation.  I was astonished with the quantity of sawdust this thing makes!  My plan is to cut a log and then vacuum out the dust from these enclosed wells between the 4x4 ramps.  Obviously I will not be doing any sort of volume.  

ValleyNathan

My first attempt at 2x4s.  I spent a lot of time re adjusting the blade guides and making sure the the blade tension was right, or at least close as I could get it to right.  I also washed off the dirt.  I was able to saw the whole log with the same blade and the boards are straight as an arrow.  Big improvement over my first attempts.  My sawdust catching scheme is mostly working, a friendly member suggested I mount the plywood on top then I can just sweep it into a container.  Ill probably do that.  

Ill probably mostly go back to lurking and soaking up info, with the occasional questions here and there since I have very little sawmill knowledge to contribute.  This is a great forum thanks everyone! 

Stephen1

Welcome to the forum, questions are welcome, pictures are the best!
Fill out your profile so we know where your from and a little info is great in answering the questions.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!