iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First fire

Started by cutterboy, September 23, 2023, 06:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

I got my reward for burning wood in the mail today.My house is all electric with two electric furnaces (one upstairs and one downstairs).Both are grid furnaces,no heat pumps.Electric bill was $125.Don't know what bill would have been without wood stove as I have always had it but I'm pretty sure it would have been $300 or more.Maybe not a big payday versus work involved but I stay warm and a penny saved is a penny earned  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

Have burnt two pallets of wood stacked about 7 feet. But been a few weeks to. ;D  I have an electric furnace back up, use it some overnight, never a high bill. 80 degree wood heat is too hot for sleeping. ;) Just built up a wood fire here, last time I added wood was 8:30 this morning. And then it was one big slab of aspen and a round stick of fir, laid in on a bed of coals. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2023, 09:47:12 AM
First Fire this morning, November 28th, over two months since Cutter built his first fire.  
And your last fire will probably be two months before my last fire.
22° here now with predicted highs of 35° and winds 10-12mph. Both wood stoves are burning nicely.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Yup, probably so.  ;D

32° here this morning and yes, another flicker.  fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NE Woodburner

I've burned almost a full cord so far this season. The wood I'm burning now is not the best species and is several years old so very dry. Clean burning and good heat but not long burning. I will be into mostly red oak and ash soon. 

Magicman

We have been a week without a fire, but I have the insert loaded with a few sticks and have the fat lightered kindling ready for in the morning.  The forecast is for 32°.  :o.  Looks like we will have a fire for about the next 10 days or so.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Have had fire here, but only early morning and evening 'smudges', too hot during the day. ;D

Been steady at 36F outside temps now for 2 days and nights. Will be in the 40's today, suppose to be more sun.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have my little flicker going this morning.  Feels good.   ;D

doc henderson

26° here MM, how bout you? 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Woodcutter_Mo

I've been using the indoor wood stove for a couple months now but officially fired up the outside furnace for the first time this season yesterday.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Magicman

Our forecast says that I will have a flicker for the next 10 days.   fire_smiley

SwampDonkey

I've burnt 3 cords since September. She's a long slow burn in the north. 6 months left to go. Of course a couple months on each end that it's more intermittent burning and a window or two raised. :)

sconn2000

The weather up here in MN hasn't been able to make up it's mind the past couple months. We've finally got some standing snow after flipping between the seasons several times. Outdoor boiler has just been idling since october to keep things from freezing up, but the indoor stoves been doing a great job keeping the place warm on the colder days. Looks like it's finally going to get cold and stay cold so put time to put the outdoor in drive. 8)

Here's a couple random pics from the backyard today :)
Sam

thecfarm

scoon2000, welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ihookem

I have burned wood for heat as late as mid June at home. The earliest I had a fire up at camp was August 18th.. I have never had to heat my home or cabin in July.. 

SwampDonkey

I've seen lots of folks burn morning smudges in July. Not uncommon at all. Not all day. We often get a cold snap almost down to frost. Some places will get frost in July, never seen it here. But when fishing one time and camping on an old mill site near a small river, it was white frost every morning and by afternoon in the 90's in mid July. 

Thank You Sponsors!