iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back on the ranch again

Started by Nomad, January 16, 2013, 08:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Quote from: paul case on January 18, 2013, 09:33:47 AM
If that had been done any length of time ago here in OK the trees would be sprouting lower limbs all over the place.

PC

Paul,

Loblolly, slash, and longleaf do not contain epicormic buds in the bark, so they will not sprout lower limbs when opened up to light like your hardwoods.  If those were hardwoods, they would be fuzzy  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

Quote from: beenthere on January 18, 2013, 06:26:55 PM
I'm curious about the forestry plans.  Seems the trees are maybe left for some shade for the cattle.

Is the plus side of the forestry equation that they are putting on very good growth rings and thus lots of wood volume being that size? And what about new trees to replace those that are being cut? What is in the plan?
The growth rate for these trees seems pretty good to me.  As to replacement trees, I heard mention of planting a few hundred oaks to replace the pines taken down.  I didn't catch what kind of oak was intended.  But keep in mind that this is the first pasture inside the gates and is being turned into a weekend destination for MotoCross riders. It will never be used for cattle again.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Great pics and story. Any time you see trees spaced like that around here it is usually for a new subdivision. :(
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!