Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, Saw Bones said that I needed a total left knee replacement.  

This all began with a dirt bike wreck in 1974, and that ole knee has never been 100% since.  I had much damaged cartilage then and had to have more removed in 1994 after my knee locked up.  Of course removing cartilage means that there is less there to do it's job, so it has been cracking, creaking, popping, and doing weird stuff.  I have been wearing a knee brace since mid-August to keep it from going wacko.

Sooo, November 18th is the scheduled day.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear it but I have known several people who who did the knee replacement and I have never known one who regretted having the procedure done.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

shear will can take you a long ways. sound like time.  good luck!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

All the best. My late father had one of his knees replaced years back. 

He said after a couple of weeks, his replaced knee was now his "good" one, and he realised how stuffed his other old original also was.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Old Greenhorn

We just came home yesterday after spending the weekend with a cousin who had a full knee replacement last week. He is a hurting unit still, but getting better. I got him out for a ride in the truck and some visiting. He was hurting more after that but the next day he felt it had helped him keep moving and getting over another hump. It's do-able and I am sure he is gonna be in better shape very soon.
 I am sure you will have it nailed just fine and come out better on the other end. Best wishes.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

btulloh

Lynn, good luck with the surgery and rehab. I hope you're back the saddle  ride-along soon. Everyone I know that good a knee replacement is better off with the after-market than they were with the oem. 
HM126

thecfarm

You will do good having it done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

after 75 years, you have got lots of miles from the oem, no marathon running after.  oh well, you could of started coasting years ago.  get er done. :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Best of luck sir!  Sometimes stuff just needs replacing if rebuilding doesn't work or gives out.  

Chuck White

My wife had her left knee replaced about 5 years ago and is doing wonderful, never had an issue with it!

My next-to-youngest brother (14 years my Junior) had both knees replace about 1½ years ago and is doing fine with both of them, now he's dealing with a recent back surgery!

Here's hoping you do well with the surgery and the healing, Lynn!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Well, as you might remember, I got my hip replaced in 2014, and its been doing pretty well.  As with any major surgery, especially where implants are concerned, there are certain restrictions that will be new to you, certain things you won't be able to do, but lots more things you will be able to do, that you may not have been able to do for a long time.

I would highly recommend a 6 week course of pre operational physical therapy, not only will it help the knee joint instability, but will greatly strengthen and lengthen the muscles and tendons that will be subjected to some serious trauma during the surgery, as well as to get them more flexible and used to fuller articulation during recovery.  I did it, and my recovery was amazing, much faster than the ones who didn't, and I noticed in the recovery therapy sessions that much of the other patient's pain was due to them not being able to do the exercises, not from the artificial joint, but from their own systemic inflexibility.  The PT exercises are very targeted to improve recovery.  My mother has had two knees replaced, the first without pre operative PT, and it was tough.  The second time she did pre operative PT, and it was tremendously better, with less pain, and a much faster recovery.  Some doctors here require it, some only prescribe it on a voluntary basis.  It was covered under my insurance.

Anyway, its a process, and the good news, it a positive one.  As trite as it sounds, all the medical staff just told me to take it "One step at a time."

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Gary_C

YellowHammer gives good advice. The best outcomes are a result of faithfully following the physical therapy regimen the doctors layout. It's painful at first but you will be rewarded with a better knee later. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

The "fly in the ointment" is that somehow I guess that I have blown my rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  It is giving me much more misery than the knee, but the knee has to be fixed first because the arm is needed during the knee recovery.  ::)

I got no time for any of this crap!!  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Looks like we better get you on the bi-annual service loop to align, repair and replace whatever needs it every couple of years. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Welcome to my world..
Left knee is shot and needs repair. torn meniscus and acl. Right needs replacement. I tore my right rotator cuff about 6 months ago and now somehow have torn at least 1 possibly 2 tendons in the same arm helping to lift a bike into the back of a pickup truck.
Right hip needs replacement.
Tore my left rotator a couple years ago. Got a few shots and that one seems to be ok somewhat.
Figure to get everything done in 2020.

My Dad had both his knees replaced back in the 80's then had to have the replacements replaced in 99 because he wore the new ones out.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bruno of NH

I have been told by many that it feels so good when it's healed up.
Good luck Mr Lynn your are tough you will be back at it before you know it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

alan gage

Best of luck with the surgery. You've got good health and low weight on your side. Hoping you have a successful and speedy recovery!

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 16, 2019, 09:01:35 AMI have been told by many that it feels so good when it's healed up.
Good luck Mr Lynn your are tough you will be back at it before you know it.
Bruno,

I had a good buddy in Albany Ga when stationed there who had his replaced when he was 70+ and he said a few weeks/months later he walked out of his house and said it felt so good he just took off running to his mailbox.
Quote from: Raider Bill on October 16, 2019, 08:33:35 AMMy Dad had both his knees replaced back in the 80's then had to have the replacements replaced in 99 because he wore the new ones out.
Bill,

Are you suggesting Lynn needs to get the ones with the extended warranty? :D We'd hate for them to give out when he is 95 on an elk hunt and 70-75 y/o Marty has to tote him out to the nearest machine shop to get him patched up.

Howard Green

Southside

Sorry to hear about the knee.  I like the idea of the pre-surgery PT, had never heard of that but it makes a lot of sense.  

I didn't do PT after my last back surgery 4 years ago because I "didn't have time for that crap", but looking back on it I really should have.  Had a pretty bad flare up two two years ago and went to PT thinking I was heading back into surgery, did something like 30 sessions and the results were very impressive.  Find the time to get it fixed up right, you have more than earned every single penny the insurance will pay out.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 16, 2019, 09:27:33 AMWe'd hate for them to give out when he is 95 on an elk hunt and 70-75 y/o Marty has to tote him out to the nearest machine shop to get him patched up.

I get the feeling he will still be sawing in "The sandbox" job at 95, given how that project seems to be suffering from military sized mission creep.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

With the new procedures and processes these days, the hospital staff will have you up walking the next day.  Unlimited walking is the best therapy, and it's all about tissue regeneration and keeping the joint active, as that increases blood flow, reduces swelling and properly influences scar tissue regrowth. Other than falling issues, they want patients to be walking upright and human as fast as possible to regain proper posture and joint loading.  So they try to wean patients as fast as possible from walkers and crutches.  Having a very positive attitude once the decision has been made to have joint replacement surgery is very important. It's the difference between "My leg hurts, I'll sit here awhile longer" and "My leg hurts, it's time to get up and walk".  BTW walking in the woods with a rifle is very good therapy.  I have no doubt you will do great.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

YH,

Are you saying the MM is going to have to trade in his fancy ride along seat and join us peons walking for a change? :D  War Eagle!
Howard Green

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 16, 2019, 09:27:33 AM
Bill,

Are you suggesting Lynn needs to get the ones with the extended warranty? :D We'd hate for them to give out when he is 95 on an elk hunt and 70-75 y/o Marty has to tote him out to the nearest machine shop to get him patched up.
Because of Dad's age at the time they used "cheaper'" budget knees. At 340 lbs they didn't last.
Second time around he went to the hospital at Colgate university, had them both done at the same time and used the good ones.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bwstout

Quote from: Magicman on October 16, 2019, 07:29:08 AM
The "fly in the ointment" is that somehow I guess that I have blown my rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  It is giving me much more misery than the knee, but the knee has to be fixed first because the arm is needed during the knee recovery.  ::)

I got no time for any of this crap!!  :-X
Shoulder replacement is not bad had the left one done 3 year ago and this Dec will have the right one. As many has said therapy is the key to quick recover and relief from pain, I can say my left one is great and only hope the right one is the same after rehab too good luck and the best to you
home built mill

Magicman

Dr. said that I would walk that day and be discharged the next.  If I waited until next year it would be outpatient, no overnight stay.   :o

The fastest option to fix both the knee and the shoulder was to do the knee first.  Crazy thing is that the knee doesn't hurt....but the shoulder does.  ::)