iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-15 diesel

Started by John S, March 19, 2008, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

This is my first post.  I have been reading with great interest since November and hope to keep learning from the many knowledgeable members here.  My milling experience is limited to an Alaskan mill mounted on a Stihl 066.  I am a retired teacher (61) and would like to get an LT-15 for personal use.  I just re-read an article in Sawmill & Woodlot by Jim Philip reviewing the LT-15 equipped with a Yanmar 10hp diesel engine.  The article is very positve about the engine and the mill but Mr. Philip had two comments regarding the engine:
1) twice it ran backwards and 2) "there is no good way to turn it off".  I don't know anything about diesel engines except that they have good torque and are fuel efficient.
Does anybody here have any experience with the LT-15 and this engine?  I believe it is a $1000 option as is the 25hp gas engine.
Thanks
John S.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Dave Shepard

Welcome John S!

I don't have any experience with the LT15. I have run a few compact tractors with Yanmar diesels, and they were very reliable. Another new member,Crazy Rusyn, is also considering the LT15 Diesel in this thread: Crazy Rusyn's Thread

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bull

my neighbor has one he seems to like it very much,haven't heard one complaint from him.
I don't see the need to spend the extra money on the motor or the fuel. when I had my LT 15 it had a 13 hp kohler and cut without problems. It was unbelievable how little fuel it used, with plenty of power...  no problem cutting 1000 bfd a day on 2 gallons of fuel or less. We were set up for up to a 20" log

zopi

as I understand it the diesel is quite a bit more efficient than the gas engine...dunno about reliability though...

I would love to have the 25hp as it would speed the mill up considerably, but realistically, if i had the extra grand to spend, I would buy the setter/sharpener..

If you have been keeping up the last few months, you know that if my LT-15 would do the dishes I would marry it...you won't regret it..whatever power option you choose..

as always...get the Logrite...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Kelvin

If the 25hp gas engine and the 10hp diesel are the same upgrade price which do you think would perform better?  Diesels do better on torque but i wouldn't think much more than about a 15hp gas.  If you really want some torque get a 10hp single phase electric motor.  No troubles starting there.  When i see the prices on these little diesels i think they are mostly a novelty item for now.  Once they get reasonable then its worthwhile.  Off road diesel is at $3.80 around me, gas is $3.15, so effeciancy is wasted on more expensive fuel.  Want to save energy and money?  Go electric.
Just some thoughts,
kelvin
My 25hp kohler on my LT-40 is nice.  Treated properly they should last thousands of hours.

Crazy Rusyn

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 19, 2008, 06:15:16 PM
Welcome John S!

I don't have any experience with the LT15. I have run a few compact tractors with Yanmar diesels, and they were very reliable. Another new member,Crazy Rusyn, is also considering the LT15 Diesel in this thread: Crazy Rusyn's Thread

Dave

Hi John (and Dave!)

Yes, I am getting a diesel LT15. I like the idea that my truck, tractor and sawmill will run with the same fuel. I certainly don't want to be a poo-poo head, but I think we are in for a really crazy econmic and energy ride and I'm already making biodiesel. We're pretty self sufficient. If I have to have a sawmill, having a diesel sawmill for me makes sense.  I'll be getting it around the 12th of April. If you want to know more and my thoughts about it then, just ask.

CR

bandmiller2

John S,one thing to think about is cold starting.I have never tried to start that diesel when its real cold.Years ago I built a log splitter with a Hatz diesel hand start,dandy in warmer weather tough in cold.Vibration and noise will be more with the diesel but most small diesels will run on the skin of a phart,the higher price of diesel fuel is a non-matter.Frank c.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Max sawdust

Welcome John S.. :)
All good info so far.  I dreamed about the diesel for my LT 15. (Just because I like diesel's)

However,  I have the Kohler command pro 15 hp Gas engine on my LT 15.  I frequently make maximum width cuts while quartersawing Red Oak.  Only draw back power-wise is you have to slow down your feed rate. 

If time is money then it can be an issue, if you are cutting for personal use and fun, does it really matter? 

On the fuel consumption issue.. the thing uses very little fuel, so on a mill the size of an LT 15 it is my opinion that fuel consumption is irrelevant! 

Think about it the engine is revving only while making your cut, otherwise it is at idle.  Mowing grass uses more gas  :o ;)  :-X

I do have a Yanmar 24 HP on my little Deere.  the low end torque is very useful in a tractor.  I am very happy with it..

Max

True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

moonhill

I hope the price of diesel drops after we get through this heating season and the demand drops some.  Maybe it will level out to the gas price level.  If not maybe biodiesel or WVO  will be the way to go.  I run all diesel equiptment, with some minor exceptions, chainsaws.  In the winter if it's to cold to start, I'm to cold to start.

I have always been intrigued by the little LT-15's and now they have a LT-10 that packs up and one can almost hang it on the wall.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

John S

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate your opinions.  CR, I look forward to your posts after you get your new mill.
JS
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

StorminN

Not sure about the 10hp Yanmar engine, but I've been running a friend's 18hp Yanmar diesel tractor the past couple of days. I haven't looked into it, but it doesn't seem to have an electronic fuel solenoid (electrically-operated valve) like other diesels I own... so turning the "ignition" switch off doesn't do anything... to shut the motor off, you just pull the throttle all the way back.

I'm not sure how the 10hp engine could run backwards, unless at shutdown in somehow started back up going backwards...

Whatever engine you had, you could always add a 12VDC fuel solenoid if you wanted. The motor in this tractor starts and runs great, and I've been surprised at the power... wow.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

ScottAR

My 30hp "Yandeere" has the same system.  Close the throttle and it
quits.  I don't see how that's not a good system. 

The Case has a fuel cutoff like StorminN describes. 

Both systems work equally well. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Dave Shepard

My Kubota ran backwards once. :o :o I was winching in a huge cherry top at idle and stalled the engine, the top pulled the cable out of the winch like a recoil starter. Made the weirdest sound and blew all kinds of dust out of the front near the air intake. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!