iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not even a red flag!

Started by Bro. Noble, November 07, 2007, 10:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Normally we don't do any coustom sawing,  but a neighbor got in a pinch.  They have a large cattle operation and recently dleared some land.  An outfit dozed the land for the oak timber,  but didn't want the pine.  The owner kept the pine logs as he had a use for the lumber.  This was in August when we were having 100+ temps.  He contacted us about a month ago asking if we could cut the logs.  I told him we didn't do coustom sawing.  He asked me about two weeks ago if we would saw them if they brought them to us as the bugs were working on them and there was evidence of blue in the butts.  I told him of two or three guys that might saw them for him.  Last week one of his employees asked my son what we would have to have to saw them and he told him we didn't normally do that,  but the owner could talk to me.  He came over last week and talked us into doing the job saying there was about 8 or 10 thousand feet.  They started hauling in logs the next day.  Huge beautiful logs,  some scaling over 400 bdft.  My guess there will be over 30 thousand feet.  There were 11 loads total.  Well, actually 12.  He showed up with another load today.  He said they came across one this morning that they had missed earlier.  He told us to buck it however we thought best as he didn't have a chainsaw handy when he found it.  He was hauling it on a 16' dump bed using lots of chains ;D  It bucked in to a 16',  a 12',  and an 8 footer :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

:D :D :D :D
Sure wish you had pics Bro! :)

Tom

Don't you just hate it when people throw money at you? :D

SwampDonkey

And I can't give away 3 nice spruce logs.  :D Oh well, the worms gotta eat to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Give away?!?!   You must be talking to a rich sawyer.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

A mile away.

I told him they won't be going any place because I don't need them moved. I said I'll buck'm and limb'm if he wants them. And I know there is no metal in them and they are sound and 2" or smaller knots.

Response was, 'I'll keep ya in mind'.  :D

2 - 22 footers with 10" tops
1 - 32 footer with 8" top

I got no way to wrestle the dang things and I wouldn't bother anyone if they weren't close by. They'd make nice 2 x 10's for floor joists or 2 x 6 stud'n.

Tom, I don't want to go into it.  :D  ban_smiley

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LT40HDD51

Ive been in that situation a few times, SD, and its usually not worth it for me to go set up and saw 2-3 logs if Im very busy. Pretty much spoils at least a half-day. Now if they were something special, or if you could drop em in my yard, thats a whole different story... :)

I had a guy recently who I told that Id take some wood from him. Hes the small-time, lot clearing type of guy, chainsaw and a pickup kinda operation. First off, he brought some bigger limbs and a couple small logs all bucked up into firewood-length pieces (or thereabouts). We talked again, I said "thats fine, always need firewood". Next, he brought a bunch of white pine. Picture 4-5 logs, 12' long and maybe 18-24" in diameter. Now picture bucking them every 16" or so. Thats what I have now, instead of maybe 400' or something of pretty clear piney. DanGit, its all goin to the splitter now... ::) :D. Seems he needed to cut it up to get it on the pickup by himself...  :-\
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

SwampDonkey

Lt, the mill doesn't have to move, it's idol 11 months of the year. They have tractors and wagons and the logs are a mile away and easy to grab and load.  ;)

I have other neighbors who will be after them soon. 

I don't want anything for'm, but they brought me enough garden goods yesterday to last me 4 months. ;D

He can use them for lumber or firewood, whatever he wants. I don't care how they are used. He has 4 outdoor boilers to feed, so they won't go to waste. It would be a shame to burn them, but what'a ya do. :D

LT40HDD51

The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Thank You Sponsors!