iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is bar junk?

Started by logmason, April 12, 2019, 12:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logmason

Mainly a firewood and trim saw, 18".
How much bend is unacceptable for good performance? And how much slop in the inside driver rail?

logmason

Started pouring rain after I posted. I did some searching around the net. It seems the bar is junk 20 minutes after last call haha.

I looked it over with drywall square and builders level. It seems to have a twist and the nose end rivets "might" need tightened. Going to get a new one and try fix this for a spare when I get stuck.

Husq 55, .325, 72dl, .058. Any suggestions on a new one? I'd like to run same chains since I'm invested.

Inaotherlife

I get a new bar if there's much slop in the groove.

Probably go with a Husqvarna branded bar and chain combo since there is usually a discount when bought together.
Maybe an Oregon Pro-Lite. Or Speedcut I think is the new narrow kerf b&c.

Any of them should work.

I'd be swayed by price as long as I was getting good quality. 
Hopefully a closeout, or at least a sale.

offrink

I had the sprocket wear out on a 18" stihl bar. The chain kept falling off no matter how tight I got it!

motzingg

Yeah i bought the husqvarna branded bar and chain last fall, its been through about 2.5 cords of hard red oak, limbing and bucking 5 trees most of it in cold weather with the oiler not quite pumping as much as i would like... still looks brand new.  Also survived a pretty nasty pinch and twist from a screwy windfall and caught some barbed wire.  

Got it on sale at Fleet Farm last fall, i think about 60 bucks all in, seems like a pretty good deal, but i probably wouldn't pay the 20-something they want for the chain by itself.  I cant tell any difference between the Hq brand chain and a regular cheap oregon. 

Thank You Sponsors!