iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing lumber for shares

Started by dworcesteronw, December 26, 2022, 01:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dworcesteronw

I recently purchased a HM130 Sawmill and now it seems like I have a lot of new/old friends coming out of the woodwork.  I don't want to charge people for cutting trees, however I would love to cut some trees for them on shares.  Most of the wood I have to cut is cottonwood, some cedar, and honey locust.  People I know (Long lost Friends) have Oaks and Walnuts to cut up.  I really want some Oak and Walnut.

What I am thinking is if I go to their place with my sawmill, chainsaw, blades, and equipment and I cut up their wood with their assistance I get 50% of the wood milled.  Is that fair?  What percent do you take if you do this?

Also as a side note... my two brothers are also excited about this.  I told them, they could use my sawmill and blades.  They provide the wood and all the labor to cut it and I get 1/3 of the wood milled.  (They are both retired and have all the time in the world to use it.... I still have to work everyday.  :)

Let me know what you think,
Thanks,
Darren

beenthere

Think you will be happiest with your new mill if you are the only one operating it.. i.e. not loaning it out. It will be returned for you to use, but first you have to decipher why it is not working right. Happens all too often.

QuoteI don't want to charge people for cutting trees,

Maybe you meant to say "sawing their logs" not "cutting trees". There is a difference.  ;)

Years ago, I found logs to saw but had no sawmill. Good friend did have a circular sawmill, a tractor to pull logs, a truck to load and haul them, and the sawmill to saw the logs. 
Our deal, which I thought was quite fair, was he would get half the lumber for hauling and sawing the logs, and then we would split all the remaining half. 
So I happily ended up with roughly 3000 bdft of white and red oak lumber to trim out a new home, panel a couple walls, and lay hardwood flooring. A great friend to have. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stavebuyer

If you are trying to saw for profit the whole process can get complicated as to what every part and parcel of the arrangement is "worth".

One reason many small timber tracts are "traded on shares 50/50" is that everybody understands "half" and in past times many crops were "sharecropped" on that basis. If these people are friends and family and everybody is happy with half than it is a simple arrangement. When you inject what your sawmill ought to be worth per $$bd/ft or per hour and divide that by the grade and species of trees somebody will likely feel shorted when in truth none of you probably really know the true exact market value, so I say saw away for half and don't worry trying to figure out whose half is "worth" more

moodnacreek

I remember doing this. If the conditions where right and all the logs the same and the help and share holders the same it can be done. Not often the real world. Who gets the bad lumber?  Try this, take 2 people only and one big log and saw it and divide the wood right there and each take his share home that day.  If this doesn't make sense to you now it will in the future.

caveman

We occasionally saw on shares if the species we are sawing is something we want and there is a demand for.  Also, the logs are brought to us and before a blade touches a log, everyone knows how the logs and lumber will be divided after being milled.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I have sawed on shares in the past and may in the future but first it has to be lumber I can use or sell. Another thing I learned the last time is if the customer wants me to saw on shares he will have to bring me the logs. I ended up with way to much cost involved from too many trips and too much double handling.

The best advice I have seen is divide the logs not the lumber. You may want 8/4 framing and your friend/customer wants 4/4 siding or 6/4 stair treads or such. 

The actual split should be based on the value of the lumber to you and the cost to produce it and 50/50 may not be in order. Another trick, if you are sawing 50/50 is make log or lumber  piles as equal as possible then flip a coin to see who gets which so there is no dispute about who got the best deal. I have done that and when it came time to flip, I'd say "You go ahead and pick the one you want." That also prevents such accusations of advantage taking.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

to help with perspective, I am a hobby guy, and I charge 100 bucks and hour for folks that contact me to saw logs they bring to me.  It includes unloading, sawing, and the time to teach then to sticker and dry, and load their truck.  I usually pull-out time spent chewing the fat if i am also the one promoting it.  I usually end up liking the folks that want this done.  They usually round up and give a tip.  I have friends I charge nothing but then they find a way to pay me back.  Dallas tends to throw fuel in my tank and has taken me or let me use his hunting plots that he spent time placing a blind and planting a food plot.  you will ruin blades or at least consume them.  If something breaks, will they be able to fix it?  each new miller will have a learning curve that may take them month to years.  The mill will depreciate, and you could see some money or wood as your family helping to pay for the mill on shares.  As you mill and gain expertise, you will look at other as inexperienced and may feel different about letting a novice take control of your mill.  Make sure these are people that will take better care of your equipment than you would yourself.  When my skid loader needed repairs that came to almost 15K, I did not go ask friends for money to help with that. I got a little here and there as these costs should be anticipated.  I do many things for free for family and coworkers.  but these are gifts from me to them.  when you first start, it may be good to get some logs to learn on and not charge much for that.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I only mill on shares for friends and my mill is not mobile, so they have to bring the logs to me.  I think its fair to take half.  If I were loading up my saw, driving a distance, using gas, etc I think I would want more than half.  Perhaps try what you are suggesting a few times and keep track of your time and expenses.  Then figure out if what you are contributing to the arrangement is worth more than what you are getting.  You may find out that you are better off buying logs.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Sawing on shares can be done, especially on a "hobby" level. You don't HAVE to earn "x" $ per day in order to cover your bills. So as long as you consider the wood you end up with worth the effort (and milling costs), then go for it.   50/50 is a fair starting point,  but that depends on the value of the wood. It's about the same effort to saw cottonwood as walnut, but the walnut is worth a LOT more. You might decline to saw Cottonwood on shares if you have no need or market for it, but jump at a walnut job, even at less than 50%, because of the wood's value. Agree to how the division is going to work first of course. Divide the logs? Two stacks of boards, one makes the stacks, the other gets to choose etc. 

I've done a few sawing jobs on shares, because I don't have my own logs. But it's only wood that I have a use for. Make sure the log owner gets a fair deal, but they are usually happy to see an otherwise "problem" log sawed up into useful boards, AND they get to keep ~1/2 of them, and don't have to pay $.

As for you brother sawing? Get them to help on some milling jobs and fully learn the mill operation with you. You will soon see if they have the aptitude to run the mill themselves. Some people are naturals, and others can "bust an anvil with a rubber mallet", and shouldn't be left unsupervised near machinery.  :D  You will soon figure out which type they are and can take things from there. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

YellowHammer

Sawing on shares can be done while you are learning, and after awhile, you'll learn you always seem to come out on the loosing end.  50/50 seems high of you are having to transport the mill to their place, 60/40 may be more in order.  I did 70/30, with 70 percent coming to me.

I would be very leery of lending out my mill, as with most things 90% of the damage comes in the first 10% of usage.  If you let someone else use it, expect damage.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

I don't saw on shares and I don't rent farm ground on shares. There are too many folks who simply can not understand that perfect boards twist, they split, and some fields are a magnet to birds when the next one over isn't. 

There are times I will take care of something for someone for free, but that's because I want to, not because I think it's being fair. 

People will bring you absolute junk logs and expect that your half of the junk is payment for wear and tear, fuel, your time, etc. and you are left with a pile you don't need or want.

Barter, donate, or trade funny pieces of paper with pictures of dead Presidents on it, but shares, not so much.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KenMac

My take on sawing for shares..... Be sure that all butt logs are theirs and you get paid for damaged blades. Ask me how I learned that. THE HARD WAY!!!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

SawyerTed

I would not let a non-owner operate my mill any more than I'd let them borrow my wife.

I have sawed on shares a few times.  60/40 has worked best and I choose which boards go where.  

I much prefer Southside's dead presidents to lumber.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I prefer the larger bill so I choose the one that is not a dead president.

The more the merrier !!! ;D

LINK to the above pictures

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I knew where that was going when I saw the photos, hard to believe that thread is that old. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Patrick NC

I've sawn cedar on shares a couple times and came out pretty good with 50/50. Wouldn't dream of doing it with something lower valued like framing lumber. 70/30 would be the least I'd do if at all. You can't make enough bf with a manual mill to make it worthwhile.  X2 on @SawyerTed 's comment about not letting non owners operate your mill. That's just a recipe for hard feelings. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Peter Drouin

I don't cut on shares, I know just you mean MM.

Just some of them. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Don't saw on shares and don't loan out mill. If they have logs you want then scale them and buy them for fair market price. If they have sawing they want done they pay you a sawing fee. I apply the "KISS" rule to myself and my equipment. "Keep it simple stupid".
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 27, 2022, 06:08:21 AM
I don't cut on shares, I know just you mean MM.

Just some of them. ;D
Will be looking forward to the party at your place!!

YellowHammer

Nothing brings friends out of the woodwork faster than getting a new sawmill, and nothing runs them off faster than asking them to help the second time.

If they are your good friends, sure, have them show up and help, and saw a few logs for them, sit back, tell stories and have a good time.  I still do that, it's one of the perks of owning a sawmill.  If they are good enough friends for that, they are good enough friends where I don't charge them anything, anyway.    

If they are the friends that start the conversation with "I hear you have a sawmill. I have a bunch of trees ....". Well, they get the normal rate.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Machinebuilder

I seem to get the friends that have the very large yard tree,

1-I've got a birds eye maple log, I had it cut 2 years ago and its about 48" dia
2- I've got a few cedars that were in a fence line, and some hickory.

I've had a few more.

There's a reason I don't have a trailer for my Bobcat or a way to haul logs.

I have sold a couple pieces of live edge slabs that I cut, and I gave a friend a good deal on boards for his Grandfathers 1952 Ford flatbed (cool project)

I have realized after using some of the wood I sawed soon after getting my mill, I don't have that much good lumber. It's gotten better but I have a lot of firewood.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Nebraska

Designer firewood and or Borp, I  am excellent at producing it. Thankfully it heats my house just fine.

customsawyer

We actually have a standing joke around here. If someone is about to ask for a favor or something for free, 90% of the time the conversation or text will start with "hey buddy". Any more I just start laughing the minute I hear or read that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tmbrcruiser

I have a very good friend that would do anything to help me and I would for him too. But being a good friend I don't miss a chance to poke him, last time he came by to visit I told " haven't seen you in a while, as he was leaving I told him come on back next time you need something". Wish I had the nerve to say that to the folks that truly just stop by when they need something.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Southside

"Come again when you can't stay so long"

"Next time you're passing by the house, pass by the house"

Both usually get a "I will" response.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!