iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

No picture but I am pretty sure I sawed a 14' and a 15' locust pole today for my extension on my pole barn. I did not try to totally square them but did try to get a flat face on all 4 sides and pretty much did that. I think the 15' ended up 8.5" X 7" X 15' and the other was 6" X 7" X 14'. The building is not a square shape anyway but it is the last spot I can build another bay on to it. Will be about 12' on the front and about 8' deep connecting to an angled rear wall to match the lay of the land and an overhead powerline.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

The wife and I were doing the monthly food shopping today and she saw this and laughed. Apparently you can now buy a kit, Just add meat and cheese. Kind of like buying a kit car where you just have to add a body, frame, and engine. :D :D

And NO, it doesn't include the board either. You have to get that from an upscale woodworker. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

So a re-labeled fruit and nut basket is all the rage now? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Apparently so. :D :D
 If my Pop were alive he would just say "P.T. Barnum was right." and shake his head. (A fool and his money are soon parted.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on January 16, 2023, 10:32:11 AM
I like the handles.  for bulk we offset the handle so you can get more boards.  they look great!  do you mind if I ask what you sell them for?  finish?
Doc,
     How about some photos of your Charcooterie boards?
What all wood species make good boards?
Will ERC work?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

JoshNZ

Any time I'm working on the black walnut stack and come across a straight log with a crotch at the end, the crotch usually goes into small slabs for this sort of stuff, and the barrel goes into boards.

I sealed one for the photo of a listing last week. Not how you'd finish a charcuterie board but a good way to show off a finished look to the newbies who don't know what they're looking for. A lot of the charcuterie guys are into black walnut or acacia.

doc henderson

I have lots of pics of them, but in other threads.  I have done ERC boards prob. 20+.  as long as they know not to use it as a cutting board, as the soft wood will scar easily.  esp. if there is engraved decoration.  I guess they could use it for that if they want.  I have done some pine with knots and blue stain.  Maple is great with spalting and if branches with have lots of chatoyance.

there is a sampling, including ERC.  Elm is very interesting and pretty.  most are walnut and maple.  get the stump with branches from a soft maple, and let it sit and spalt.  then saw and dry a bit.  min. finishing and sanding.  dull sharp edges.  remove bark but for special circumstances (BSA) some want sophisticated and others want rustic.  I have about 50 blank around my shop, so the person can pick one out.  plane sand, engrave sand apply oil.  I can do one in less than an hour.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I have done some the size of a stove topper or noodle board.  standard electric range is 30 inches wide, and good for 22 inches deep.  give more counter space for get togethers.  noodle board are for letting fresh noodle dry and keeping the flour mess contained.  can be all the above.  I have several friends that have me do their engraving.  you might find someone in the area, or just make the boards and sell them to the engraver.  we barter.  the guy that does duck, goose and turkey calls, has given me quite a few.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

JoshNZ, that is a nice BW crotch. I also like the way the sawhorse is hinged. When not in use it takes up little space. I should redo mine.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

JoshNZ

@kelLOGg we made a bunch of those as bar leaner stands for a bbq one day and they got put to work after that. Two rectangles, join at the top with a pair of hinges, set the foot spacing as desired and thread a rope through a hole in the bottom board of each side and tie a knot up snug so it can't pull back through

Deese

Been sawing for a decade. Still reaping enjoyment from it, and have made many new friends, and also lost a few along the way. Currently sawing Bald Cypress, 100 year old syp logs, 30 foot power poles, walnut, cedar and poplar.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Andries

Lookin good Deese.
You're one of the few that has a long mill under a roof.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Looking mighty fine my friend and Congratulations on reaching your 10 year sawing anniversary.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I'm going to create a thread titled "What Not To Do". It could cover anything related to sawmilling and would surely result in some good conversation. I may not be able to tell someone what they "should do", but if someone wants to know what "not to do", then I'm your man :D.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Wlmedley

Sawed another poplar this afternoon.Don't have to worry about lowering my toe board.It falls out when I roll the log.Got around 110 bf of sheeting out of this one.No high production up here.Took me a couple hours  :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

TimW

A new customer brought these 5 slabs the other day to saw in half.  He thought it was walnut?  Is he right?

These photos are from the customer.  I forgot to take photos when we halved them.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

JoshNZ

Looks like black walnut to me

TimW

That is what I was thinking.
hugs,  Brandi

beenthere

There is a distinctive smell to Black walnut. But if not familiar with that smell, hard to use it for identification. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

BT,

That is like telling someone that a groundhog tastes like a cross between a raccoon and a porcupine. If they have never eaten a raccoon or a porcupine it does not tell them much does it? :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I assume you are cutting them in half thickness wise?  great job.  I have done that once to get sentimental boards double the surface for paneling.  thanks Brandi.

beenthere

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 22, 2023, 03:04:03 AM
BT,

That is like telling someone that a groundhog tastes like a cross between a raccoon and a porcupine. If they have never eaten a raccoon or a porcupine it does not tell them much does it? :D :D :D
And that is why I didn't tell Bindian that.  :D :D :D
Doc, my interp was cutting in half lengthwise. Bindian can confirm which a way.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

I was also assuming it meant she was "resawing" them into thinner boards. I periodically have someone bring me some Chestnut 2X6s or some redwood planks from old water tanks or such to resaw into thinner boards like that. I have had customer bring me walnut or cherry or such to resaw. It is usually risky for me due to old missed nails and having to get real close to the clamp and dogs on the bottom of the mill.
Howard Green

Patrick NC

I managed to saw a couple nice cedars yesterday after I got done with a customer's pine logs. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on January 22, 2023, 08:45:00 AM
I assume you are cutting them in half thickness wise?  great job.  I have done that once to get sentimental boards double the surface for paneling.  thanks Brandi.

Doc is right.  I made 2 inch slabs into two, 1 inch boards.
Hit a pig, win a prize.  Doc's prize is bragging rights for today.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!