iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 22, 2023, 03:04:03 AM
BT,

That is like telling someone that a groundhog tastes like a cross between a raccoon and a porcupine. If they have never eaten a raccoon or a porcupine it does not tell them much does it? :D :D :D
Howard,
Every Texan knows that after eating raccoon and porcupine, groundhog is tasteless. That is why we don't eat any of them.  I guess our tastes have been diminished from eating too much TexMex.
FYI.........raccoons make excellent pets, until they don't.  Don't ask me how I know this.
I smelled Black Walnut years ago, when I was helping Dad cut firewood. But I slept since then.  Neither of us knew what it was, it is so rare down here.  We, back then, were thinking it was Black Jack Oak.
Customer said his kids brought it down from Wisconsin, where he was from.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Southside

I find ground hog has a similar taste to Bald Eagle.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

With a hint of grey wolf😊

Me and an old Indian fella cooked a porcupine once. I immediately understood why it is considered "survival" food- it's not fit for eating if you're not starving🤢🤮 Honestly, the meat kinda tasted like chicken, iirc. The problem was that porkies have a very peculiar odor. Kind of sweet, sour, pungent and musky all rolled into one and that smell was in the meat. Kind of like a rutted out old buck, or I've had pork where the meat had an overtone of a pig farm. Otherwise, the porkie wouldn't have been bad at all, maybe even tasty. Shoots, for all I know it could've been a big ol buck porcupine in rut🤷‍♂️😂

Another porcupine story- one of my great uncles, my grandad's brother, had a pet porcupine at one time. It was free to roam as a wild animal, but every few days it would come to visit. I guess it would crawl up in Uncle's lap and he would pet it, and the porky made a purring sound.

Anyways, the porcupine hadn't been seen in a while, and Uncle was getting a little worried. Then one day he saw him out in the yard, so he went and opened the sliding glass door. He finally got it to come in the house, but it seemed a little cantankerous. Uncle got it some food, and glanced outside and saw another porkie in the yard. Turns out, it was the tame one, he had herded a wild one into the house😂 If you knew Uncle, this would make more sense. He was, as my Grandpa always said, "a big hearted goof", and had probably the thickest skull of anyone I've ever known. On another occasion I heard Grandpa mumble that Uncle, "is so stupid he ought to be committed"😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

I had a roommate in med school and his brother would give us ground deer meat from the "farm".  I assumed they have had nuisance tags for the ones there,...  or not.  the butchering may have left something to b desired, as we often made spaghetti with it, and it tasted ok at the time, but when I exhaled, I could smell essence of wet deer hair.  got to where i could not eat it.  but I was never starving, but usually the opposite.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bigblockyeti

Quote from: doc henderson on January 22, 2023, 04:07:41 PM
I had a roommate in med school and his brother would give us ground deer meat from the "farm".  I assumed they have had nuisance tags for the ones there,...  or not.  the buttering may have left something to b desired, as we often made spaghetti with it, and it tasted ok at the time, but when I exhaled, I could smell essence of wet deer hair.  got to where i could not eat it.  but I was never starving, but usually the opposite.
Were they properly butchered or just field dressed then "ground" with a 12" tree chipper?

Mmmmm, fur!

Resonator

Quote He finally got it to come in the house, but it seemed a little cantankerous. Uncle got it some food, and glanced outside and saw another porkie in the yard. Turns out, it was the tame one, he had herded a wild one into the house
Reminds me of a story... popcorn_smiley

Seems this salesman stopped by a farmer's place and introduced himself, the farmer had a big dog standing next to him. Salesman asked "Does your dog bite?" Farmer says "Nope." Salesman goes to pet him...GROWL! "YEOUCH!" the salesman yelled. Then he says "I thought you said your dog didn't bite?!!" Farmer says "That's not my dog." :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

Brandi.

I am well familiar with pet raccoons. I caught several and gave to friends to raise and my son had one when he was in college. He even had a permit from DNR for him and they took him to WVU and had him neutered and shots by a friend of our daughter who was in the vet program. My son took Chester everywhere with him and my wife made the coon a harness. They'd throw him a small crappie to eat so he'd stay out of the minnow bucket while they were fishing. He was fine unless he had food and he would always eat you up over food. Chester was a real "chick magnet" and everywhere Sean took him out for a walk the girls would want to come pet and play with him. Every teenage boy should have a pet raccoon. 

We also had a pet doe that came a went as she pleased here at home. The mother was killed by a car when Spot was about the size of a cat. We'd milk the goats and feed the deer and Morris, the big orange tom cat would lick the milk off her face and they grew up to be big buddies. It was funny when they were older and Morris would stalk Spot like a leopard stalking an impala. He would get close and charge with his paws spread but not out. Spot would be watching him out of the corner of her eye and she would whirl and kick a hoof over his left ear and they'd run is circles a few times, stop and sniff noses then go their separate ways.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KWH

Brandi and WV sawmiller, my wife wants to know if they were litter box trained?

WV Sawmiller

Chester would use a litter box but he would not cover his pile.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don_Papenburg

Is anybody sawing curly birch ?   Or does anyone have curly birch sitting around looking for a new home ? I need a small whack .   
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

fluidpowerpro

I'm not familiar with curly birch, but Ive got some white birch already in cant form. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

fluidpowerpro

Sorry, just looked up curly birch on the google. I should have done that before I replied......
Change is hard....

TimW

Quote from: KWH on January 22, 2023, 08:18:41 PM
Brandi and WV sawmiller, my wife wants to know if they were litter box trained?
My "Critter" was kept in a cage behind the garage under the eve. So no potty training.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Deese

Finishing up a cedar order for tomorrow. Life is so precious and short. I'll always know how long I've been making sawdust because I started around the time my boy came into this world. He may be growing up faster than I prefer but he'll always be my little boy. He will be 10 years old next week. 

He's already talking about trucks. I told him he better start working and saving his money like his daddy did. He's not too keen about that idea yet  :D

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

barbender

The kids are definitely a good indicator of how quickly time passes. Our youngest just turned 12. 

barbender

About 1200 bf of white pine on the deck for morning.

Deese

Those are some dandys right there. I bet you'll get more than 1200. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Don_Papenburg

If I remember right curly comes from yellow birch .Maybe white has curl also.

barbender

Whether it saws that way I don't know, but I've seen curly grain in a lot of white birch I'm processing for firewood. Most white birch is straight grained and pops open nice, you can definitely tell the difference when you get into the curly stuff it's almost like elm.

fluidpowerpro

When I looked up curly birch it said that it was caused by a genetic defect and it only grew in Finland and Russia. That must be a specific type because like many things "curly" can have varying degrees.
Change is hard....

doc henderson

I have had soft maple that I believe Danny referred to as curly.  there is quilted and birds eye.  it may also be in the area of branches ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don_Papenburg

About ten or maybe fifteen years ago , I got my curly birch from the U.P. area. My guy tells me that no one is bothering to cut birch trees . He used to go to the mills and buy  the curly birch logs.

Stephen1

Quote from: Bindian on January 21, 2023, 11:35:26 PM
A new customer brought these 5 slabs the other day to saw in half.  He thought it was walnut?  Is he right?

These photos are from the customer.  I forgot to take photos when we halved them.
hugs,  Brandi
I am leaning towards butternut, as it's kind of bland.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

richhiway

Cut a big pine with ant damage. Nice here in upstate NY 40 degrees and sunny.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Some nice furniture slabs and lumber. the center went in the junk pile. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!