iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

QuoteCut a big pine with ant damage.

Ants came after the damage was caused by decay/rot in the pine. Good indicators of rotten wood.

Might make some good boards when dried and finished off nice.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

my buddy Dallas wanted to know if I wanted some ERC logs?  No, I have 200 logs in my yard.  nest question would I saw them for making a table with epoxy for him and a buddy?  yes.  

killing ants and flashing off some moisture.  5 inches thick.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Wlmedley

A nice day up here today.Ground dried up a little so I loaded deck up with pine.Give me something to do on the next rainy day or two  :laugh: <Same tree that fell across my driveway when it was 5 degrees.Now I'll get my revenge.br>

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

TimW

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 26, 2023, 06:44:32 PM
Quote from: Bindian on January 21, 2023, 11:35:26 PM
A new customer brought these 5 slabs the other day to saw in half.  He thought it was walnut?  Is he right?

These photos are from the customer.  I forgot to take photos when we halved them.
hugs,  Brandi
I am leaning towards butternut, as it's kind of bland.
Does Butternut grow in Wisconsin?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on January 28, 2023, 05:42:04 PM
my buddy Dallas wanted to know if I wanted some ERC logs?  No, I have 200 logs in my yard.  nest question would I saw them for making a table with epoxy for him and a buddy?  yes.  

killing ants and flashing off some moisture.  5 inches thick.
Dang Doc, I could bring the gooseneck up and take a load off your hands.  Seriously.
hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

firefighter ontheside

Those are neat cedar cookies, Doc.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

QuoteDoes Butternut grow in Wisconsin?
Yes it does (even a town named Butternut in Wisconsin). Sawn it a couple times, makes nice hardwood boards.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

Res I know you sing some country music, so when you mentioned you had sawn it, I thought it was you had seen the town of butternut, and was using the past tense for having seen it.  "sawn".   :D :D :D

Brandi, not sure it would be cost effective.  I get it free, and my buddy has about 600 more logs 20 feet long and already limbed.  He is clearing some pasture ground (about 100 acres) of these trees.  the ground was unattended for 30 + years.  Let me know if you happen to be up this way with a trailer.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Yup Doc, I've Seen it, sawn it, been there, and done that.  :D
Funny how ERC is prevalent in some areas and scarce in others. Around here, I could cut it and sell it for closet paneling all day long.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

chet

Tried sawin' ERC once, not gonna try than again! ::)  I started sneezin', eyes waterin' and got da itches something fierce. I'll stick to Northern White Cedar it's lots better stuff.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

firefighter ontheside

I'm enjoying some frozen log sawing today.  It's 20 deg out so not too bad.   Dress appropriately and get going.  Doesn't even feel cold.  One added benefit is that frozen cants and boards slide really well across the bunks.  That really helps sawing logs that are at max length for the mill.  A lady brought me 5 oak logs on a little trailer that was not happy about the weight.  The logs are all about 15" diameter and she wanted 6/4 boards for flooring in some sort of barn loft.  She was really dismayed when I gave her an idea how many boards she would get out of each log.  She didn't care how wide they were, so I told her I would just do my best to maximize the logs.  She's getting mostly 6" wide boards with a few more and a few less.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Deese

ERC for a new business and it's sauna. 
That's all I know  smiley_blue_bounce

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

alecs

I was sawing a walnut log that my tree guy brought over because he knew I had the mill and hated to see this log go to waste.  It maxed out the capacity of my Woodland Mills 130 Max - the log at the crotch was over 28" wide.  But I'm happy with how it came out.  First time cutting walnut.  I liked the smell.

Meanwhile, I was talking to my neighbor's tree guy, turns out he was the one who mysteriously delivered some nice 14' long pine logs in my driveway last fall.  He was taking down some more pine.  Said he would bring me some logs -easier to haul them next door for me instead of across town to have them turned into mulch.  So my first batch of logs from this offer was about 5 logs, some too skinny to be really worth sawing.  Fine, i said to myself, I really don't need to cut up more pine, I don't have room for the stuff I have already cut and the last batch I got started to get pine sawyer beetle holes and blue stain before I could get to it.  Five logs is great.  Came back the next day and he dropped off the rest - 12 more logs, these ones up to 22-24" diameter and 14-16' long.  So I go from too skinny to be worth sawing to too big to lift with my FEL!  But the price of the logs can't be beat!   

Then this morning, my other neighbor was having bunch of pine taken down, by a third tree guy who has been generous with logs in the past.  It was all I could do to not go over during their break and ask for the logs to be dropped off at my place.  If I didn't have 17 logs waiting on being milled, I just might have!  But there's only so much I can saw between now and when it will be too warm and the bugs and blue stain will return.  It was 50 yesterday, which is frighteningly unusual for January...  

So if the title of the post is "whatcha gonna be sawin'" the answer is all this pine.  

doc henderson

Deese, the saunas can get hot. so be sure to set the pitch at the max temp of above.  you do not want someone sitting in a glob of hot pitch.  lol  they can prob. do it in place if need be.

barbender

Cedar is the wood of choice for saunas, not only for the decay resistance, but denser woods will burn your backside😬 
Too many irons in the fire

Deese

4x4's & 6x6's this morning. And a nice pile of edger boards. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Stephen1

Quote from: barbender on January 30, 2023, 07:37:52 PM
Cedar is the wood of choice for saunas, not only for the decay resistance, but denser woods will burn your backside😬
And as a customer told me ..Some people are allergic to cedar,  she wanted Basswood, as it is another great wood for saunas as it is non allergic. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Sixacresand

I milled about a 1K bf of Cedar this week:  Nasty, stringy, dodi on the inside.  Not near as pretty as Deese's. He definitely had better logs.  Cedar really dulls a blade quickly.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

barbender

Stephen, that makes a lot of sense. Basswood is about as bland and innoffensive to the senses as can be, and nearly as light as cedar so it shouldn't burn the buns😁 

One of my friends built a sauna out of a variety of species of boards he had acquired over the years. There are boards in there that look great, but you don't want to touch when the sauna is up to temp😬 If you made some white oak sauna benches you'd probably regret it😂

WV Sawmiller

Burnt buns huuh? These threads always get back to food don't they? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

cutterboy

Deese, good thing you have an edger. That would be a lot of boards to edge on a mill.
btw, nice looking posts.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

doc henderson

sand in the bark is standard, and even the wood has sparkles through it.  not sure if it is silica but may dull blades.  It is so soft, that I can usually run a dull blade for a while.

barbender

White cedar dulls a blade surprisingly fast for how soft it is. It grows in the swamp where there is no sand to blow on it, I assume that it has silica in the bark and wood.

tmbrcruiser

Hard to find ERC on the shore. I can get some white cedar and have a customer that is adding a sauna to his new home. Would white cedar be good for a sauna?
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

mapleveneer

Just sawing some regular old White Pine.

Thank You Sponsors!