iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you we're buying new tomorrow.

Started by yarnammurt, January 04, 2023, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

What mill would you go with? I've had a LM2 Log Master and like the direct hydraulics. I have the LT35 now and ordered a LT40 but thinking about the Timberking 1620. Looks like a very solid mill with Direct hydraulics . 
Lt40 or Timberking 1620
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Walnut Beast

Timberking is fantastic!! I'm very partial of the full hydraulics and the controls right at your fingertips at the command center and great setworks. Never had a WM but plenty of happy people with them. 

WV Sawmiller

I have and like my LT35 and have been pleased with the customer service and support. I have nothing negative to say about the TK in this area. I do like the cantilever design and feel it gives me more options for unloading slabs and lumber on my portable jobs where I encounter a wide range of set up constraints. 

I would not move from an LT35 to an LT40 just because I do not feel there would be enough increase in functions. If I were upgrading I'd want to go up at least to an LT50 but that is just me.

Why are you trading? What extra features do you want? 

I'd also consider moving to a wide model but I have asked and have still not gotten a clear answer how they compare when cutting those max sized logs on them
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I have answered this question many times in the past and the answer is.....
My exact sawmill except it would have a  w i d e  head.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KWood255

I went from a LT35 Hydraulic to a LT40 with the 38hp Kohler. For me, the biggest difference was the hydraulic blade tension and auto clutch. The LT40 is a great machine. Tons of power for anything in this part of the world, and with ample blade selection. If money wasn't an issue I would have a LT70 in the yard. Maybe one day it will show up, but not this year. 

I have been completely impressed with the service from WM. Only once did I struggle with an issue, where a WM factory tech guided me through the repair. I will continue to run Woodmizer products without hesitation. Further, our local dealer Howie's Saw in Thunder Bay Ontario  is top notch. 

Although the 40 is only one step away from the 35, it's a big jump in my opinion. I would not go back to anything less for my operation. Best of luck with your search. 

Southside

Are you sawing part time?  Full time? Portable? What downstream equipment do you have or plan to have?  My progress was LT35, edger, kiln, moulder, Super 70 (still have the 35 and run it as a re-saw).  For me I didn't see the step between the 35 and the 40 as being enough of an increase in capacity.  

My moulder and planer are both Wood Master, sister company to Timber King, and both Wood Mizer and Wood Master have always provided top notch customer service.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bigblockyeti

A lot will depend on what you're cutting and what kind of production you're looking to get out of the mill.  Stationary or mobile matters (and costs) a lot too.  I don't typically mess around with commodity lumber and I have no desire to be mobile, my little mill does everything I need it to right now but if I move operations to my property up the road, a little bigger might be better.  I'm typically cutting maple, cherry or walnut with few exceptions and I'm cutting for figure most of the time.  I'd like to cut something wider, much wider so the logistics of being able to load and haul a log that might weigh 6000-8000lbs are not trivial.  A trailer like Matt Cremona has would do well and a gantry spanning over the mill bed and trailer deck would handle unloading so I wouldn't need a monster articulating loader ($$$$$$).  The WM LX250 will cut just over 54" wide and I think that would be about right.  I've seen one at show but not sawing, that would need to happen first as would lining up with a supplier of big logs to justify a big log mill.  YMMV.

Between the two you're debating between, I'd have to have more experience with the Timber King first but the direct hydraulics certainly sound appealing.  The LT40 should be quite similar just a bit bigger than your LT35 so I would imagine you could get into a rhythm with it more quickly.

Larry

I bought my TK-2000 new 12 years ago.  It was a fairly new design at the time and their were a few growing pains.  Sometimes I got frustrated but TK stuck with me. 

Reliability of the mill has been great.  I read on here all the electric problems with switches, brushes, contacts, and motors.  None of that......well except my guide arm has a electric motor.  You guessed it, new brushes, a switch or two, and a new motor.

Customer service.....my Kohler motor blew up and was out of warranty.  Will, the President of TK went to bat for me and got Kohler to replace it free.  I didn't even have to pay shipping!  Had a few other minor problems that either Mike or Jason, service guys at TK were able to help remedy.

So, I would buy a new TK-2020.  It has 6" extra cutting width which would be great for me.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodduckhunter

Portable jobs, stationary, custom work, production sawing, footage goals?

Ianab

Quote from: woodduckhunter on January 04, 2023, 09:55:33 PM
Portable jobs, stationary, custom work, production sawing, footage goals?
Yup, there is no one "perfect" sawmill, just like there is no one "perfect" vehicle. There's just the sawmills that best fit YOUR operation (and budget).  
Because I'm mobile and deal with large logs, mine would be a toss up between a Peterson and a TurboSaw. Completely different style of mill, but also a completely different use scenario.   (Also made locally)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawyerTed

I had an LT 35 and have an LT 50 on the way.  Going from the 35 to the 40 isn't enough bang for the buck.  The 40 Super Hydraulic would be the minimum upgrade in my mind.

I studied hard on the LT 40 Super Hydraulic.  The 50 wasn't a lot more money to have several features the 40 Super doesn't have, hydraulic back stops and chain turner are two.

I'm with Magicman, go w-i-d-e!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 04, 2023, 07:28:52 PM.............
  I'd also consider moving to a wide model but I have asked and have still not gotten a clear answer how they compare when cutting those max sized logs on them
I had a 40 super (non-wide) 19 yrs and now a 70 super wide 3-1/2 yrs. Just commenting on wide, The extra width eliminates most of the drama and the first half hour of getting a big log or irregular non-log under control. It isnt just about making 33" boards instead of 27" ones although customer can have that too. 
Wide also eliminates most of the intensive chainsawing that puts a 660 or 880 with a 41" bar at neck level with chips down your shirt before the day is half started.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

longtime lurker

I'd love a custom built mill to my design and specifications. I've probably cut a few boards over the years, and looked at a lot of different designs and I've got a design in my head that is quite different to anything on the market.

One thing I know is building a saw will never happen while I have to drive a saw to eat, but maybe one day...
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Old Greenhorn

Dennis raises a good and important point. I run an LT50 Wide and own a small 4 poster manual (28" wide). Moving up to the LT50 removed so much of the backbreaking and unpleasant work getting the oddballs cut up. On my manual, I would sometimes spend and entire day opening a large 'interesting log' and on the LT50 it might be done in 40 minutes. Most of that extra time is consumed in fitting, blocking, trimming, cussing, flipping, trimming, cussing some more, and  sweating a lot. In addition, the cantilever design allows you to hang 'stuff' off the right side as long as the head misses it, such as a special jig, a pusher block held up by the lift arms, or whatever.
 It's not all about the wide boards although there is that too. Personally I don't look for max size logs, they take longer, have more issues in a lot of cases and wind up being split into smaller stuff anyway. But when you need to do a load of slabs to get drying (which is on my list for 'soon') that wide head is handy too. It's very rare that I have to Bibby a log once it hits the bed and usually means I made a mistake. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

wkf94025

Exact same mill I bought 2 years ago:  Lucas 7-23 with slabber, planer and sander.  Thrilled with its functionality for my needs and avid hobby milling situation.
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Bruno of NH

Lt 50 or a custom mill with a 60 hp kubota Gas engine 
That's right gas
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

WM was experimenting with a big gas engine on their 70 a year or so ago. It was from a small car from what I recall. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

Fifty plus HP tractor, forks, grapple or clam shell, bush hog.  The regular hydraulic LT40 I have is fine.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

yarnammurt

I will not be doing much mobile work.  I have support equipment.  I just like the hydraulics on the Timberking. I'm not sure if it has belts on the wheels or just metal like the Logmaster had. I did order the wide head, 38hp engine and the command station on the new lt40. 
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

E-Tex

WM and L50 hard to beat.  Especially for a mobile operation.  If I buy again, LT50 or 70 for sure.  WoodMizer service has been 100% top shelf for my business. 
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

woodduckhunter

I had a  tk 1600 new, and it had belts on the wheels, something like a b56 or 7.  I personally like full hydraulics more so than many electrical connections on a portable sawmill.

KenMac

This seems like a good place to mention a TK mill for sale on Craigslist in B'ham, Al. It appears to be in East Texas and is listed for $32k. Just if anyone is interested.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

opticsguy

Purchased a TK 1220 way back in 2010.  I use this mill for my personal use.
An all manual mill with very little maintenance requirements and nothing has failed since new.
If I were purchasing new today I would have to go explore the market for new models but in the end, for me, the perfect machine would be a TK 1220 with a 6 inch wider throat for those sometimes not-so-straight logs.  I am quite certain an additional 6" throat width would not require any other upgrades and the Kohler engine would be fine.

Purchasing a mill is certainly one of my best decisions in life and has opened up the doors to many new hobbies, interests and explorations in life.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Patrick NC

I've ordered a lt40 which is still a ways of from being built.  If I could buy what I want tomorrow and money was no object,  it would be the biggest I could get with the most hp.  Woodmizer,  Cooks,  Timberking,  or Baker. It would be a tough decision.  Of course that would require bigger log handling equipment,  new building to house the mill, live deck, edger, employees, etc. Probably won't happen unless I want to get a divorce! 🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Bruno of NH

The Timber Buddy is worth a look if you want some power.
They have some nice features 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!