iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 462 C-M Bar Length

Started by JimStC, January 12, 2023, 09:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStC

I have several large ash I need to put on the ground. My 462 has a 25" bar and I decided to go to a 32" bar.
My dealer, Reynold's John Deere, advised me that a 462 is not spec'd for a bar longer than 30". I responded that the Stihl spec chart lists recommended bar lengths of 16" to 36". I was told that over 30" that I needed to use the light bar.
I ended up doing nothing and figured I will make do with the 25" bar. I sure will appreciate some insight to this as it did not make sense to me.
I do have confidence in the dealer as I have done business with them for years and they have been solid.
Thanks,
Jim

lxskllr

It should handle a 32" fine. The light bar will balance better and is worth the extra cost imo.

Woodfarmer

Why?
How big are these ash?
I cut up to 36" ash with my 500i and a 25" light bar. You can work both sides of the tree ya know.

ehp

25 inch is lots , if your ash  has the bore in it and is dead 25 inch is plenty cause the ash will be pretty dry and hard . 28 inch would be my max , Its more the bar oiling thing in harder hardwood as that drys the bar oil off your chain/bar quite fast . In softwood you can easily run a longer bar than hardwood

barbender

In my limited real deal felling experience, one job I was on I had a lot of oak in the 30"-36" range on the butts. I was running a 24" bar. It was too short to cut all the way across obviously. But I found myself wishing I would've ran a 20" because I had to hold the 24" back to keep shy of my hinge when doing the back cuts. With a 20" on I could've sunk it in to the dogs. 

I do have a 36" bar that I use for trimming lumber packages. I am not lugging that thing around the woods, the PNW guys can have all of that😬
Too many irons in the fire

JimStC

Thanks to everyone for the comments and insight

hedgerow

A few years back I was between big saws had sold my Solo and hadn't found the low hour 660 that I have now. Had a dozen locust 48"to 60" trees to come down and get buck up. All of a sudden my two helpers had some time to help and I didn't have a big saw. I bought normal weight Oregon 36" bar and chain and put it on my 461. Power wise it did ok but like others said the oiler lacked a little. We got the job completed but the 660 sure works better for that size of bar. 

Skeans1

Quote from: JimStC on January 12, 2023, 09:17:09 AM
I have several large ash I need to put on the ground. My 462 has a 25" bar and I decided to go to a 32" bar.
My dealer, Reynold's John Deere, advised me that a 462 is not spec'd for a bar longer than 30". I responded that the Stihl spec chart lists recommended bar lengths of 16" to 36". I was told that over 30" that I needed to use the light bar.
I ended up doing nothing and figured I will make do with the 25" bar. I sure will appreciate some insight to this as it did not make sense to me.
I do have confidence in the dealer as I have done business with them for years and they have been solid.
Thanks,
Jim
How large are these trees? I've ran 32's on the 462 it'll do it it's not always the most happy with a super aggressive chain but it's possible to do.

JimStC

The circumference at the base of the largest tree is 93.5" or 7.79'. Diameter is right at 29".
This one is on the ground and will be bucked shortly.

ehp

20 inch bar setup is all you need then , 25 inch will make it a touch easier but abit harder to carry threw the brush with the longer bar 

doc henderson

I run 25 inch on my 261 and my 046 mag.  I have a 20 for the 261, and a 36 for the 046 mag for those "special occasions".  I have a 5 foot on my 880, but do not take it out much.   :) :) :).  I have a 36 inch for it as well and it makes more sense on a regular basis.  the loop on the 5 foot is a skip tooth chain.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on January 16, 2023, 08:09:17 AMI run 25 inch on my 261

Really?? i wouldn't want anything longer than 18" on a 260
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

It pulls it great, and I use it for bucking and limbing and I get the extra reach.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ed

When needed, I run a 36" with full skip chain on my 046 with no issues.

Ed

Ianab

Quote from: Ed on January 19, 2023, 11:53:46 PM
When needed, I run a 36" with full skip chain on my 046 with no issues.

Ed
Skip chain lets you run a longer bar for sure. But the idea is that for a few trees, 2X your bar length is perfectly practical. 3X is possible, but only if you really need it. Practice your technique first of course. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

I put a 36" bar on an 038 once, and milled with it too. Bit hard on it but it did it.

Im not privy to the specs but gut says a 4.4kw 72cc saw will swing a 32" bar fine, won't be a power house but you'll pull a chain around the length which is what I think you're after?

Patrick NC

The 462 is about the same power as my Husqvarna 372xp. 372 is happy in hardwood or soft with a 28" bar. Full comp in hardwood,  skip in softwood.  Never tried 32". It would probably do fine power wise. Bar lube would be a problem in dry wood. Unless your saw has a better oil pump than mine.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!