iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS250-nre ones

Started by wisconsitom, January 12, 2023, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsitom

Thinking of backing up my old Husky 42 Special.  Main use at this time is felling and limbing small conifers in a plantation setting-butts in the 12" area now, but of course, growing fast, along with other minor logging activities plus bits of firewood.

Thinking about a new MS250.  Seems about right for my level of use.  The additional 2 inches on that bar would help extend use further into the future, as these stems grow.

Any advice, anything I'm missing?  I find the saw comfortable, light, and not too bad a price.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

ladylake

I'd get a Echo cs400 but think ms250 is Stihls best lower end saw.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

wisconsitom

Thanks Steve, I'll look at that Echo.  Kid used to have one of those too.

wisconsitom

Wouldn't mind staying in the .325 world.  Just because that's what I've got now.

btulloh

You might want to check out a ms261. More money, but a great saw in that class. Keeps you in the .325 world too.

I do hear good things about the ms250 and the cs400.
HM126

samandothers

I have an older MS250 I bought years ago to supplement some older Homelites I was nursing along.  I used the MS 250 a lot and for most of my work.  I then bought an Echo CS 341 top handle with a 14" shorter bar primarily for limbing.  The MS250 did a great job for a long time then started having problems with starting when it would get hot, and I could not rely on it.  I leaned more and more on the little Echo and used the MS 250 as little as possible as it was just more difficult to nurse along.  I have replaced the MS 250 carb 2x, probably more my lack of knowledge of saw mechanics to diagnose and fix than a real issue with the saw.  But for me it was more hassle than using the little Echo that never gave a bit of grief and came with a 5-year warranty. BTW, I never had to use the warranty.  
I then added another Echo, a CS 620, and the MS 250 sat for 2 years not used.  The 620 has been flawless.  Recently I got the MS 250 out tuned it and started using it some again.  So far so good, though it will take a bit to gain my trust in it as it has a tendency to need care/maintenance sooner than later.  If I were to buy another saw right now it would be an Echo CS 400 as it would fit well between the small saw and the larger one and have the 5-year noncommercial warranty.  My neighbor and my brother both have CS 400s and they have not had any issues.  
Not trying to sway you just sharing with you, my experience. 

sawguy21

The MS250 while a decent saw for its intended purpose is not in the same class. The Echo is a stout performer that will give years of service with some tweaking out of the box and reasonable care.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I'd take an echo over saws from the sub pro lines of the big two every time. The 501P is a 50cc saw from echo's pro line, and costs about as much as the ms250. The 4910 is about 100 cheaper, but otherwise the specs look about the same. Dunno exactly what the differences are. Both are .325. I have the 490(the predecessor of the 4910), and I've been very happy with it.

ladylake

A Echo CS400 uses a 3/8 lp and really cuts good tuned good and muff opened up (they come with a really clogged up muff thanks to the EPA).  The best thing is they weigh 2# less than any 50cc ready to cut, plus reliable.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

lxskllr

I love my cs400. I gutted the cat, clipped a louver off the muffler outlet, and deleted the spark arrestor. Not much work, and it runs fantastically. There are a few things I'd like to change though...

My handle bar is plastic. I'd like to go back to aluminum because...

I have fairly big hands, and wear fairly bulky gloves doing groundwork, and it puts the chainbrake very close to my hands. The handlebar flexing makes me trigger the chainbrake when it hits my hands more than it otherwise would. Needs more space.

I'd like to see larger fuel/oil holes, especially the oil. It's a little tricky to fill cause it's so close to the handlebar, and the target is small for filling, especially with large full jug of oil.

wisconsitom

Great discussion guys...helping a lot.  Truth be told, if I get my winter cutting done ok with old Husky, I'll probably stand pat for another year.   But eventually I will be needing another saw and I'd say,Echo is going to get a close look at that time.

Gotta say, that 50 cc one intrigues me.  10 lbs!  It's the limbing that kills me.  Hard on the back.  Light saw=good!  Thanks again.

samandothers

Sawguy21
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I almost missed it!

ladylake

I know the published weights are almost the same but on a good scale ready to cut the CS400 is 13# even, the CS501 is 14  3/4#.  For light weight I'd go with the CS400, then the CS3510 which is really light but the CS400 cuts quite a bit faster.    Steve

wisconsitom

Gonna go handle a few at the stores.  Thanks.

lxskllr

Keep in mind your intended use when checking them out. All my saws feel light compared to my 661, but small weight differences can mean a lot in efficiency/stamina. Before I got a brushcutter, I did a lot of slashing with my cs400/16" bar. I could go a few hours with the saw fully held by my arms cutting vines and brambles in front of me. I wouldn't be able to do that with my cs490/20" bar, even though both saws are "light".

All of which is to say the cs400 is worth a serious look even though it means going to a different chain pitch, and more power from a bigger saw isn't more if you really don't need it. I'm sure you understand all of this, but it's easy to get caught up in "Well, for an extra pound and $100, I could get a bigger saw that'll cut more!" and once you've talked yourself into that, it can turn into "This other saw only weighs .5# more, and is only an extra $25. I should probably get that" and on and on

wisconsitom

Heh, looked at a cs500p today.  Sure it's a great saw, and it could land in my collection some day, but what really caught my eye was an Echo top handle.  More distraction!

Did I mention I've also got an MS 290?   That one feels heavy and clunky for the work I'm  doing now, but is likely worth keeping around.  Probably, if my Husky behaves, may well have what I need.  Been having issues with that 1980s 42 Special, always in the clutch/chain break area .  Seems like the chain break was partially hanging up.  Of course, worked perfect at the repair shop!

lxskllr

Was it the 2511T? That's a cute little saw, and my favorite saw I own. It'll do a lot of work for a 25cc motor. Mine stays bagged out of sight in the back cab of my truck. Nobody would even know it's there unless they broke in and dug around inside, and my trucks don't look like they're worth breaking into  :^D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: wisconsitom on January 14, 2023, 01:18:00 PM
Gonna go handle a few at the stores.  Thanks.
Some might call that 'fondling'. Be careful with that. A 'friend' of mine got caught doing that once and they threw me Him out of the women's lingerie department.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

wisconsitom

I've been forewarned!

Sometimes wonder how one a dem top handles would be for me doing a lot of thinning in young softwoods-for limbing after felling.  Meh, just be another thing to carry out in the woods. 

lxskllr

I hang my 2511 off the back of my pistol belt. Stays out of the way(mostly) til it's needed.

Thank You Sponsors!