iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mac 125 parts

Started by Plankton, February 23, 2021, 08:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

Tinkering with a mchulloch sp125 I have. Needs a plug wire/boot and a fuel line.

I think these saws take a 7mm? Copper core wire. The fuel line is molded and larger then what I have for newer saws.

Anyone know of a source for parts for these old girls? A little googling from me came up short.

Real1shepherd

Anyone serious about using old MAC's should join one of the many MAC forums dedicated to these. You have people out there like Buckin' Billy that are rabid for old MAC's....they keep the interest and the ways to work on these old saws going.

Kevin

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

On that 125 ignition depending on the year it's the same as a 10 series Mac .I don't remember if the plug wire can be removed or not .
I also can't remember exactly what the fuel line is either but I would imagine it's a molded line . If I get a chance I'll take a peek .
on those fuel lines my choice would be Buna-n same as the original but "tygon"  would work .Where it enters the tank it would take a bushing to snub it off so it doesn't leak .If it's buna-n you could glue the bushing to the tubing using Loctite 401 which is also used for fabricating o-rings from round stock .It's fuel proof . 
Now some times you can find OEM parts for old Macs as well as others on flea bay but it might take a long time .You might try ChainsawR ,a sponsor  on this site .Scott has a bunch of stuff .
I did just look at the parts list and the plug wire unscrews from the coil and it is a molded fuel line #69312

Plankton

Thanks for the replys. So a mac 1010 or similar would be the right wire?

Fuel line is molded. I'll look into the Buna n stuff never heard of it.

Plankton

Found the correct plug wire and boot through chainsawr!

Al_Smith

If the fuel line just has a crack in it you might use Loctite 401 which is used to make buna-n  o-rings .I've used it to repair cracked intake boots with good success .

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 23, 2021, 08:19:26 PM
Anyone serious about using old MAC's should join one of the many MAC forums dedicated to these. You have people out there like Buckin' Billy that are rabid for old MAC's....they keep the interest and the ways to work on these old saws going.

Kevin
No candy boyz running these saws! Someday I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these animals!! Buckin Billy has some pretty cool videos on it. Here is one video of the Mac 125 head to head against a Stihl 090

https://youtu.be/R0V4SSWr_uk

Al_Smith

First of all I'm not an expert on anything but I know more than most .The big reed valve McCullochs were made for long bars and big wood .Mostly PNW old growth .Now of days the 125 model is a collectors saw .I have two plus a 2100S Homelite and an 084 Stihl .To be quite honest I don't see much difference between all three except they are all powerful and heavy .
One of my 125's had bad chrome in the cylinder  which I repaired by turning a cast iron  sleeve of grade 50 soft gray cast iron .I'll just say that was not a 20 minute job as it stretched into days .That was at least  15 years ago and I have not put enough run time on it to seat the piston rings.They were  never rated but I'd guess around 8 HP .
Like anything old parts are where you find them  .Google once again is your friend  

snobdds

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 18, 2023, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 23, 2021, 08:19:26 PM

Kevin
No candy boyz running these saws! Someday I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these animals!! Buckin Billy has some pretty cool videos on it. Here is one video of the Mac 125 head to head against a Stihl 090

https://youtu.be/R0V4SSWr_uk
I have a ported 090 and have always heard the Mac 125 is a stronger saw.  I wanted to test this theory and had a line on a nice 125 in Canada.  Did not even haggle on the price.  The guy took my money and never sent the saw.  
So I am still left with the question...can a 090 that has been slightly ported outrun a 125?
Even though I got scammed on a 125, I will still have one one day.  

Walnut Beast

That 090 sounds like some real eye candy! I think the ported is going to hold a edge. The videos I've seen were all stock. Hope you got your case for it. They are pretty nice for the money.

Video of a stock 090 vs ported 090 😳

https://youtu.be/aujESv5oB7A

Al_Smith

You could hop up just about any saw ever made .For what, bragging rights ?Both the 090 Stihl and the Mac 125 are old school collectors saws .No doubt at around 45 years old they will still carry the mail in grand style but how much would ever get used ?From my perspective not that often as I have 5 saws that are over 100cc and only in case of something nearing 4 feet in diameter they don't see much run time . After about 20 minutes of slinging those Clydesdales of saws the novelty wears off .
Saying that I have a 100 foot cottonwood on the ground with a 5 foot trunk so I will be using them sometime after winter is over .It was dropped with an 084 Stihl with a 42" bar .I'll just say slicing up that cottonwood will not be a two hour job .

Ed

Many of those old 100+ cc saws out there are in good condition. As Al said, they don't see much use.
Those that haven't ran them don't know, the "fun" goes away really fast when your using a saw that big and heavy. Add in a 4-5' bar and a few cuts is all you want.

Ed

sawguy21

No kidding! I have a Mac 797 I have never tried to start. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I would imagine if you saw a really fast 125 Mac there's a good chance it has a Mc 101 kart engine .Then it becomes a horse of a different color .Fact I've been looking for one for years and as yet haven't found one for a reasonable price .The day I pay $1000 dollars for a saw engine will be the day the sun rises in the west . I like McCulloch but just not that well .

snobdds

I wish someone would take my money.  I would, and have to the scammer, paid top dollar for a good condition 125.  I would throw stupid money at a 125 with a 101b motor.  

I might be the exception.  I have tons of huge cottonwood trees at the ranch and would put to good use large saws. 

Al_Smith

If you could find a good one it will not be cheap .My two examples were bought at least 15 years ago plus the Homelite 2100S .However especially since covid 19 those prices have went through the roof along with any parts .In the day I had a little over 100 bucks each plus the ride in those three .I have no idea what they might fetch today .--a lot --

Walnut Beast

No Joke! You old timers out there were some Studs!! Think about this picture next time when you are picking up your lightweight chainsaws and think your arms are getting tired 

Thank You Sponsors!