iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flossing your teeth

Started by Kevin, October 06, 2002, 07:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

One thing I make a habit of before filing my chain is to take a narrow piece of rag and floss each and every cutting tooth on the chain.
This only takes a minute and it prevents the file from plugging up.

Ron Scott

A good idea. I've been using a tooth brush, but the flossing idea will clean better.
~Ron

DanG

Good idea, Kev..maybe if you mixed a bit of Listerine in your bar oil.....?         :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

I`m trying to think of a way to get feathers to stick to the chain on my 335 so I can use it as a feather duster in the house.

DanG

Ickey-Pic! (sp)   We are probably the only ones here that know what I'm talking about. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbeard

try dousing the chicken with molasses first :D

Corley5

Intersting concept flossing your saws teeth.  I've never seen a need for it.  The teeth on any saw I've ever run were clean and shiny for the most part.  Maybe a little dirt or dust here and there but nothing the file couldn't handle.  After every tooth I wipe the file across my pants leg to knock off the filings.  That's why my Carhart Arctic bibs have a fuzzy appearance on the right leg and my old pair has a hole wore in them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Lumberjack49

I always start the saw and cut a block before I file it cleans the chain of oil an dirt

John Mc

An interesting idea. I'll give a tooth a quick swipe with whatever I have handy, if I see a bit of crud hanging off it.

Reading this reminded me of another recommendation someone on here made a while back: make a noodling cut with the saw just before sharpening to clean out the teeth. I tried it a couple of times, and it does work well, but I never seem to remember to do it before sharpening.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

petefrom bearswamp

we cut 99 percent firewood, mostly tops and work just a half day.
We take a spare chain with us.
Teeth on my chains are always pretty clean so I just start filing.
I sharpen 90 percent of the time in my shop vise, rarely in the field as my wood is pretty clean  and a sharpening lasts most of the morning..
I use a square handle on my file. rotate it 1/4 turn every tooth and tap it on the vise every 4 rotations.
Not saying this is correct but works for me.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

donbj

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 10, 2023, 08:27:06 AM
we cut 99 percent firewood, mostly tops and work just a half day.
We take a spare chain with us.
Teeth on my chains are always pretty clean so I just start filing.
I sharpen 90 percent of the time in my shop vise, rarely in the field as my wood is pretty clean  and a sharpening lasts most of the morning..
I use a square handle on my file. rotate it 1/4 turn every tooth and tap it on the vise every 4 rotations.
Not saying this is correct but works for me.
That makes total sense to me. Keeping the file clean of filings is smart. Why drag them through again. Looks like you have a good system to me
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

customsawyer

My dad was one of those that cleaned the teeth on his chain before sharpening. He also would say something if he saw me bring the file back for another stroke and it drag on the tooth a little. Said I was taking the edge off of the file. I always figured that files were cheaper than all of the time he spent trying to get a extra sharpening or two out of the file. I think for him it came from being born into the great depression and having to make everything last.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

petefrom bearswamp

My daddy taught me that files of all kinds were to be used in only one direction, no dragging back.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!