iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dividing lumber cut on Shares

Started by solidwoods, April 19, 2009, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidwoods

I'm milling a 50/50 share job with someone.
They bring the logs to our place, me mill them.
4000bf,  Yellow Pines, med/low grade,  14" but mostly smaller diameters , most  are 8'-10' .

Any suggestions of methods to divide the "actual lumber"  when it has been cut on shares?
The percentages divided would matter in a shares job, but with a 50/50 share what methods could be used?
Thanks.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

DanG

The ol' "one for you, one for me" method is probably the fairest way to do it, but it may not always be best.  One of you might want more 2x4s than 2x6s, or more 10' rather than 8'.  In that case, just get the board footage close and call it even.  If either of you are the type to quibble over a dollar or two, it is usually best to not cut on shares. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

I do a fair amount of cutting on shares. Best I have found is share logs, not lumber. I make 2 piles of logs and he chooses. Or he makes 2 piles and I choose. That way I get to cut my share the way I want or need, when I want to saw. Works for me...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Are we understanding right, that you already are sawing out lumber?

If so, what/how are you sawing it?  thicknesses, widths, lengths?
What are you needing from these logs?  Same as him?

Any sorting being done?  into grade of some kind?

If no sawing yet, suggest as already mentioned. Divide the logs first (before sawing) and get his half sawn up and gone. Then do your half when he's not around to second guess his, or your, decision.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Ditto with the above. Divy up the logs nad saw his as he wants, within reason.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Toolman

I've had good luck cutting on shares. I recently had a guy who had 42 NICE poplar logs. He wanted to build a pole building. He had a list of what dimensions he needed to construct building. After I satisfied his need, I ended up with 150 nice boards ranging from 6" to 16" wide. We were both satisfied. He got what he wanted, I got what I wanted. Who got more board feet than the other did'nt matter. Cutting on shares has always been a positive outcome for me.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Shamus

Cutting on shares can work, if you have a need or market for your portion of the wood. Always ask what dimensions your customer needs/prefers from the logs. I like milling their wood first too (logs split into their pile and yours), then you can mill your share when and into what you want when it suits you.
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

ErikC

I agree with the logs divided ahead of time as well. Shares have never appealed to me unless I already needed the lumber or had a person wanting to buy it. Therefore, I never lost any money cutting on shares.
  Definitely better with the less nit-picky types for sure. It can be pretty fun in the right circumstance though, seems less like working for some reason.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sgschwend

Cutting for shares in softwood does not work very well.

The best method is to determine what the trade is going to be and decide if you want to trade.  

The other method which works well is to cut in trade with a log supplier, you bid a sale and the log seller agrees to supply the logs for that sale.  Every job is a unique bid.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

With me and the few people i do it with is that we agree to a $dollar value on what the (logs)timbers worth and then and the $dollar figure on wht the sawing is worth before the saw hits the log  ;) ;D It works well for me and there usually arnt any arguments  ;) ;D 8) 8) but its happend the odd time so i havent cut any off it  ;) :D :D

Softwood is usually 1/3 to them and 2/3ds to me  ;) ;D

Hardwood is usually 50/50  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!