iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS461 Arrives

Started by joe_indi, October 10, 2012, 10:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 15, 2012, 08:56:36 PM
On the other hand if I were to get my hot little hands on one it will be so far in the future I'll be too old to even care about it any more . :D Ha as it is it's very rare to get a saw less than 20 years old passing my way .
I wouldnt bet on that, that is your growing too old to get your hands on one of these.IMHO the scope for custom improvements on this saw is quite wide.
I didnt even know of a 046 at the time it was launched.But you were around and you must have known and realized then of the  scopes for various improvements for that saw.And we have seen the customizing done on the 046/460 through the years.Not too little I would say.
My opinion (not the best expert's, agreed) is that in this type of strato design,  air flow in and out has tremendous influence on the performance. It will take some serious experiments by people like you find out what suits best for this saw in your part of the woods
Knowing that, I would think your first 461 could land up on your doorstep for possible customization any day soon.

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 15, 2012, 07:43:25 PM

Joe I'm still not sure how the piston skirt cutout acts into the porting scheme. When the piston is TDC can you see the cutout on the bottom of the piston skirt through the exhaust port? I would think no, but anything may be possible with this porting setup. I can see the cutout working at BDC too.
I think the cutout serves some function in the crankcase not for the exhaust.
But I will check a saw today and confirm whether this cutout is exposed through the exhaust side of the cylinder.

Joe

joe_indi

I saw this video on youtube. It is of the new Stihl GS 461, a MS461based concrete cutting chainsaw.
In the video these is a small bit that shows the working of the engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DguNavRgRtE&feature=related

Joe

Al_Smith

Well on that souping one up that only applies to probabley less than 2 percent of all saw owners .Although I think the saw manufacturers pay attention to what we few who engage in the practice do in our little work shops .

I think the big picture being the saw manufacturers need a product that will appease which ever buyer they are catering to .In this case of course would be the profesional  user .

If this new design proves out they have a winner if not an albatross .

Going back in history the Chevy 427 V8 engine they originally used in the Corvette produced 425-435  HP .The first production engine to produce 1 HP per 1 cubic inch engine displacement .Now 40 plus years afterwards 1 HP per cube is not out of the ordinary at all even with the pollution devices of today .

So that being said it's entirely likely with advanced manufacturing methods and engine technoligy the future might bring about changes we can't even fathom. It will be interesting .

joe_indi

Quote from: joe_indi on October 16, 2012, 01:24:44 AM

I think the cutout serves some function in the crankcase not for the exhaust.
But I will check a saw today and confirm whether this cutout is exposed through the exhaust side of the cylinder.
Joe
Holmen,
I checked a 461 today by removing the muffler. The cutout does not get exposed at the exhaust.
Whatever is its function, its happening below the exhaust.
Joe

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Weesa20

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 16, 2012, 07:14:50 AM

Going back in history the Chevy 427 V8 engine they originally used in the Corvette produced 425-435  HP .The first production engine to produce 1 HP per 1 cubic inch engine displacement .Now 40 plus years afterwards to 1 HP per cube is not out of the ordinary at all even with the pollution devices of today .

Not true- Chrysler did it in '56 with 354 Hemi and Chevy did it with fuel infected 283 in '57.

Thank You Sponsors!