iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Square feet vs board feet and the Doyle rule question

Started by Schramm, February 17, 2013, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Too much lecturing for me.   Seems few to no-one is really interested in the disertations.
I might be wrong tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tyb525

I'll just stick with width x length x 1" for one bys. It is easier that way and even the woodworking magazine I read uses it.

Maybe if I become an NHLA certified lumbered retailer I will measure that way. But I've never had a complaint. I'd throw an extra board or two in to make them feel better.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

5quarter

Very interesting to me at least. Thanks for all of that info Gene...how much do I owe you? :D :D
In other news, I've got somewhere north of 3mbf of bridge timber I got a couple months ago and my plan is to resaw it into flooring. I've done plenty of this before, but they were a all full 2x12s and I was simply resawing into 1xs. The stuff I currently have varies in thickness from 2½-3" and is all 12½" wide. even though it's about 60 years old, it's in really good shape with very little rot. I'm thinking I may have enough wood to skim cut the top and bottom of each plank and split it into 1xs. By skim cut I mean that I want take off just enough to true up the timber but leave much of th weathering and defects.  What I'm wondering is how many blades will I be destroying to get the look I'm after? I wouldn't try to skip plane it for fear of embedded gravel, so the saw is my only option I'm thinking. any ideas on how to minimize the blade carnage? 
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

5quarter

Tyb525...yes, I do power wash...I should have mentioned that. Power washing gets about 80% of the dirt. Maybe there's something else I could do to get out the remaining grit? These are all tight grained doug fir, mostly knot free.
Blue Harbor Refinishing

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

5quarter

Gene...3200 I think. I usually use the green (medium) tip at about 12-18". Always afraid to tear up the wood fibers on softwood.
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!