iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 034 AV specs ?

Started by montreal, July 16, 2015, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montreal

g,day there,can anyone fill me in on weight & power specs of the 034 av,if possible it would be great to get them in kgs & kwatts,but any info will be greatly appreciated,Montreal

sawguy21

According to Mike Acres it weighed in at 11.6lb without bar and chain, no hp is given. It was not a big seller in our area, the 036 was much more popular.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

montreal

thanks sawguy,i thought they were pretty popular here in oz,but i cant seem to find any specs for the av on the net,plenty of info on the super.thanks again

ReggieT

joe_indi

Will the specs of the regular 034 do?

HolmenTree

Good  information on the specs Joe.
When I bought my first 034AV in 1984 there was no other saw on the market at the time with the convenience features that the 034AV had.
#1 feature was its side chain tensioner, #2 was the one screw top cover and one knob air  filter cover lock.
Not to forget to mention  its  superior  power to weight ratio and excellent  ergonomics.
The 034Super  was a little harder on fuel but its  extra power was appreciated.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

montreal

much obliged for the specs & info fellas,i really appreciate it.have any of u ever run the 034 alongside of a husky 55?going off the specs the 034 should have it all over the 55 but im just wondering if this is how it works when theyre ''in the wood''.ive had the 55 for about 15 yrs now & it hasnt missed a beat but now that my back is also 15 yrs older ive been wondering if i could get something about the same size but with a little more squirt so that when firewooding i can get a little more done on the small saw before reaching for the 440 for the bigger stuff.i guess im just wanting to reduce the gap between the 55 & 440 without going heavier than the 55 because it is just so handy for all the other jobs like morticing stays into fence posts & general bush carpentry,thanks again for the help..Mon 

lumberjack48

Run a 16 inch bar on the 034 AV or the 034 Super. In wood up to 20 inch's this saw will impress you everyday you run it. As long as its filed right and carb is set right. I ran a 034 for about 4 yrs before i got hurt. Before that i ran a 266 Husky, the 034 was a much better saw.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on July 17, 2015, 08:14:51 AM
Will the specs of the regular 034 do?

The regular 034 was what was called 034 AV in the US.  ;)
Information collector.

Al_Smith

FWIW the 034 S model is in essence about the same as an 036 .Both are impressive for 60 cc size .

I have an 034 S awaiting some rebuild and "enhancement" when I find the time to do it.

montreal

thanks fellas,im hoping i like em too cause ive taken the plunge & got one in the mail,very tidy[in the photos]& fully workshop  rebuilt engine ..apparently the original owner lent his low mileage saw to his son who forgot to add the fat to the fuel mix.Al i was very tempted to go with the super or an 036 too but was worried the gap might of been a little close to the 440 & the little xtra weight may not of been as nice to use for the other more awkward jobs i use the 55 for[if the 034 works out ill sell the 55]but im sure when on the firewood run the xtra punch on the super would pay.Lumberjack did u run both the plain 034 & the super or only one of them.ReggieT,Holmentree,Lumberjack & any other 034 av users what are your thoughts on running 3.25 or 3/8 chain,i was thinking along the same lines as u  LUmberjack  & running a 16 in bar too with 3/8 but at the moment its got the 16 in with 3.25.What sort of works involved with the ''enhancement'' youve got in mind Al??thanks again for for your time fellas...

HolmenTree

The 16"- .325 setup you already have is a good choice for your 56cc 034AV. 
That's  what I run on my Husky 346XP, chisel too of course.
Every ounce in weight saved and power saved cutting with the smaller chain counts ;)

Al_Smith

From my experiance on the 034 which is limited I found something I don't fully understand .It seems this model came with both a standard sized rim drive or a Stihl medium spline drive system .

The standard size will accept Oregon or any other popular rims but the OEM Stihl medium size will only accept Stihl OEM rims .Perhaps it was a plan hatched by Stihl to try and corner the market on parts which might not have worked the way it was planned .

It's kind of frustrating to think the rims will interchange when they won't .

montreal

ok  Holmentree,thats what i run on the 55,i knew it would be borderline whether running 3/8 would be going backwards in effiency so ill def go with your reccomendation.Al  did that rim thing happen in only the av's or the S's or both ??

HolmenTree

Yes the early 034 models came with the small 7 spline rim sprockets then changed  to standard size years later. Might have been a marketing  ploy for Stihl but in the end Oregon took over manufacturing rim sprockets for Stihl.
On the 034 I did run 3/8 chain like 33RS and Oregon 72 LP/LG at first but the 56cc high revving 034 had a harder time pulling a brand new wide kerf cutting 3/8 chain.
When the chain  was filed down to about 1/2 size it cut fine. That's why in my opinion the narrower cutting .325 chisel shone on this saw.
The older slower revving torquey 56cc Jonsered 621 or Stihl 08 could handle a chain as big as .404

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 22, 2015, 09:32:48 AM
From my experiance on the 034 which is limited I found something I don't fully understand .It seems this model came with both a standard sized rim drive or a Stihl medium spline drive system .
the standard size will accept Oregon or any other popular rims but the OEM Stihl medium size will only accept Stihl OEM rims .Perhaps it was a plan hatched by Stihl to try and corner the market on parts which might not have worked the way it was planned .

It's kind of frustrating to think the rims will interchange when they won't .
Al I miss under stood your comment and answered it wrong. I think you meant mini 7 spline
rims as only Stihl makes. But small (medium) 7 spline rims which came on the early 034
models could be outfitted with Oregon also.

Now unless my memory has really gone , I'm  not 100percent now it wasn't  mini 7 ???

HolmenTree

If that's the case if it was mini 7 spline rims then the new 63PS  chisel  chain and Picco 7T rim could be run on the early 034.
Now we'd  have a real performer :D

Reddawg

My old 034 AV has been with me for over 30 years and it's been a workhorse. It came new with the mini 7 rim, but we changed that out to accept the standard rims to change them out regularly. The 16" chisel will work good for bucking your firewood, and does a decent job on felling, but be realistic when you are looking at any big diameter hardwood.
The best combination chain and bar I came up with over the years is a 20", 3/8, semi-chisel running a semi-skip chain. The 72APX is an aggressive chain so if you don't know your saw completely, stay with a more forgiving chain.
This setup has been tested in many oak with big saws like the MS361 and it kept pace considering the age of her.
If you take care of it, give it a chance to cut rather that try to burn through it , this will be your go-to saw for just about all your firewood needs. I have some others that I go to, but I like the balance and reliability. Just make sure you keep yourself in shape, compression on it is high and when you grab the pull cord, pull it like you mean it and hang on. Overall it's not in the league of some of big players , but I would not let it go unless you had to.

HolmenTree

Welcome  to the site Reddawg.
I refreshed my memory  and did some research.  The early 034 models did have a mini 7 spline rim/ drum setup. I believe  those drums are no longer available.

Al_Smith

I don't know if the proper term was medium or mini spline .I do know Stihl won't interchange with Oregon though .Seems to me the size I was refering to was only made up to 7 tooth in 3/8" chain .It's not a big deal except the Stihl rims are twice the price as Oregon which also isn't that big of a deal either.

As far as that goes they do just fine using .325 chisel  chain .

HolmenTree

The new generation 024 and 034 were introduced at the same time and they  both came with the mini 7 spline drums / rims.
They had a page long list of optional drum/rim setups. The standard 7T  3/8 rim in mini 7spline was one of them: part#0000 642 1231

lumberjack48

The first 034 AV i bought back in 84 or 85 had the 7 spline sprocket with a 3/8 Stihl chisel chain on a 16 inch bar. Now remember i was a hardcore Husky, Johny man for 15 yrs. So the 034 AV had to prove to me it was just as good or better. But heres the thing with me, i wanted as much as i could get out of a saw, being RPM and hold up. The Husky's were pretty good, but i had to be careful or she'd walk right out of the piston. This was my diff. of scoring the piston.
I knew the Stihl dealer, i ran into him at the Vets Club. He was always pushing Stihl on me, he'd say try one and you'll never go back. I'd tried Stihl before, they fell apart as i was running it.
He talked me in to the 034 AV, and he knew how hard i ran my saw. Not hard on them, but ran-em to there limitations, so he recommended i used 32:1 mixture in it [ Stihl oil ] or no warranty.
I'm not recommending anybody to do this! But this is how i set my saw, i hold it full throttle turning the high jet in. When it starts to dump, i'd turn it back just a hair until it's screaming. With the 034 AV this would be 13,000+ RPM, it was like a live animal in your hands.
Then i filed a little different, using a 5/32 file and rakers at .030, tighten chain so it turns freely by hand. A chain is better a little to lose then to tight.
I have to tell you this saw impressed me everyday i ran it. And i was pretty hard to keep impressed, let alone everyday.
It was my go to saw everyday, it road in the saw rack behind the cab at -30 to -40, 3 pulls and it was running. But if you didn't have a little De-Icier [Heet] the throat of the carb would freeze shut. Then theres a door between the carb and head your supposed to open in the winter. I found out when i opened it, it got all iced up, i found it to be better closed then open. They make a winter kit for it, i found duck tape worked just as good. Cover the bottom half of the rewind, then from the motor head to the air cleaner cover.
I ran this saw for three yrs, never changed the spark plug, rewind spring or the rope :o I fell 12,000+ cds, plus bucking up, plus my firewood, plus x amount of firewood i sold. Then one day i heard a funny noise, finished the day with it. So i ran it in to Con, this was the dealers name [ Con's Saw Shop ] very will known for his saw expropriates. I tried to con it off on him, i told him i was in town and got the itch to trade for a new one. He took it in the back room, i had my fingers crossed hoping it would't make any noise. He came back out with a big smile on his face, set the saw on the counter, looked at me, Duane you've wore the crank bearings out, i don't know how its even running. He gave me a 100 for it, so a new one cost me 200 plus tax, pretty cheap running.
But he didn't have a 034 AV, just the 034 Super, he said more power. The 034 Super was just as good as the 034 AV but it never cut as fast as the old AV did, just couldn't get as high of RPM out of them.
If i was to go back logging, i'd go on flebay and buy two, three, i see once in a while theres a 034 AV like new on there.
I forgot the most important thing, i never scored a piston on a Stihl. But i guise Husky was having an issue back then which has been resolved over the years.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HolmenTree

That's a great story Duane 8)
Actually  back in the early  80's we didn't  have a Stihl dealer here in northern Manitoba.  It was all Jonsereds and Husqvarna.
When I bought my first 038AV and  090AV in 1980 Stihl approached me to be a dealer as I was doing so well with their saws in the local chainsaw competitions.
I had enough trouble raising a young family and falling timber for a living plus putting  time  in with the Army engineer reserves.  I talked  my skidder operator  partner to take on the dealership.
We sold alot of Stihls over the next dozen years, especially  when the 064 and 044 came out.
Side mount chain tensioners and power to weight  ratio of the Stihls brought in alot of business from the Swedish side. ;)

lumberjack48

Thanks HolmenTree, It seems once i get going i can't shut up, way over kill, miss the main topic.

The 325 pitch would give a guy a little more chain speed, making a narrower cut, and your pulling a smaller chip. This would be a plus, plus when cutting hardwood.
The reason i wouldn't like the .325 is i did a lot of speed limbing Jack Pine, Balsam, and ect. The .325 kicks the chain off so much easier, this is what i experienced when running it.
I gained the chain speed running the 3/8 pitch chain by filing with a 5/32 file. By using the 5/32 file on the 3/8 pitch chain, your taking the same size chip as the .325 pitch chain.

I also ran 16" bars on the 044 Mag and the 038 Mag. Reason was it made it so much easier for the guys, they didn't have to think, ::) you know what i mean. The 038 was just the landing saw, tough, tough saw. After 8 yrs on the landing it didn't look so pretty, but she'd still do the same job as it did the first day on the job. I had a big German boy running it for a few yrs. I was scared to death he was going to jerk it to pieces. He broke one motor mount.
The guys used the 044's for felling and some bucking up, [we had 3] The 044 was an over kill for me, i made up the power in RPM and the way i filed with the 034. I didn't lean out the saw's the guys ran. If i would have, the saw wouldn't last one day. When i came out to the landing, i'd show-em how a saw was supposed to cut. Even my father, he could not believe how fast my little 034 was.
I had a 1000 cd. sale of selective cut Norway, small stuff. I can't remember the year, but anyway i bought a 444 Husky. In that 6 to 10 inch Norway, man was it fun to run. And of course i had it leaned out as far as i could. It was like carrying around a model airplane. It was so torquey, you could feel it twist in your hands. I'd drop a 6 inch or so Norway, while it was falling, i could slice 3 to 4 pieces out of it in mid air.

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 22, 2015, 11:13:11 AM
I don't know if the proper term was medium or mini spline .I do know Stihl won't interchange with Oregon though .Seems to me the size I was refering to was only made up to 7 tooth in 3/8" chain .It's not a big deal except the Stihl rims are twice the price as Oregon which also isn't that big of a deal either.

As far as that goes they do just fine using .325 chisel  chain .

As far as I know, the sizes in question are the mini, small and standard (some times called large) 7-spline.
The mini is specific to Stihl, and only Stihl offers rims for them. Replacement drums from anyone but Stihl comes in small and standard, not in mini.

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!