iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Furry Walnut

Started by YellowHammer, June 29, 2014, 10:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I had an old customer bring a single walnut log to saw, and when he showed up, I couldn't help but laugh.  It was a log covered in so many vines, it looked like it had a solid coat of fur.  I asked him why he didn't clear the vines from the log and he said he was worried that mixed in with the English Ivy was a healthy crop of poison ivy, too.  Yep, no doubt...I mentioned that there could also have been a few snakes, mice, and for all I knew, an entire herd of elephants hidden in there, also. 
Anyway, it was the last log of the day and I just couldn't manage to get mad about it, so just rolled it on the mill and started sawing. I snapped a couple photos, thought some of you folks might get a chuckle out of it. 
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Small Slick

Wow!  Jimmy Hoffa could be in there! 

John.

LeeB

I would have been really neat to have been able to get all of that off in one piece. Rustic makers dream.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red

Goats Love poison ivy
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

dboyt

Quote from: LeeB on June 30, 2014, 01:56:15 AM
I would have been really neat to have been able to get all of that off in one piece. Rustic makers dream.

You could have cut heavy slabs with the vines on them & set them aside for the woodworkers.  They'd love them!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WDH

I can't believe that somebody would bring a log looking like that and expect you to deal with all the issues. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

I cut one down like that and what a mistake it was. Wherever the sawdust came into contact with my body I got terrible poison ivy rashes. The sap in those vines is pretty potent so avoid the sawdust. Inhaling it can cause even worst problems.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on June 30, 2014, 07:54:57 AM
I can't believe that somebody would bring a log looking like that and expect you to deal with all the issues.
this was my thinking as well, but after reading the comments on the rustic side of it, light bulbs started coming on, you just never know what folks are interested in, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LittleJohn

Whats worst than cutting Posion Ivy and dealing with sawdust and what not; throw it in a brush pile and burn it!! Whic makes the stupid stuff air born and it GETS EVERYWHERE

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on June 30, 2014, 07:54:57 AM

They don't always bring them to you.  Sometimes you go to them.   :D

And yes, that is Poison Ivy.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

reswire

Poison Ivy, poison oak, it doesn't matter.  I wouldn't get near that log.  A few years back, on a cold rainy day, I was sitting under a large pine, while deer hunting.  The rain mixed with poison sap, fell on my face and neck, well enough to send me to the hospital within hours.  My eyes were closed shut, couldn't open my mouth, and my neck was covered and swollen.  Nope,,, keep the poison in the woods where it belongs!  I haven't had poison like that in many years, and I don't want it again. ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

SPIKER

Passed on a property that was covered in P.I. like that tree, vines covering everything.   Then any area that had an opening had vines growing up wrapping around it's self forming P.I. trees 12" feet high...   Told the guy after walking the property that it needed to be used a s Napalm Test area for a few years before someone would buy it... ::) ::) :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

MattJ

I might have an allergic reaction just from looking at the pictures!  I'm so sensitive to it I wash down with dilute bleach in the shower if I even think I might have touched it.  If I want a tree with poison ivy on it I cut the base of the ivy with a handsaw to minimize spraying sap, paint the stump with straight roundup, and then let it sit for a year or for the ivy to die and fall off.  Thats a very slow process but I just won't touch the stuff, it causes too many problems for me.

pineywoods

Smoke from burning poison ivy will mess up your lungs big time, if it doesn't kill you first. The oldest recorded instance of chemical warfare involved a big pile of burning ivy upwind from a fortification. The only way to deal with the stuff is BURY IT, along with gloves, clothes etc.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

I like rustic as much as anyone, but not poison ivy rustic.  That is crazy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reswire

As a kid, I had an old WW2 Navy Doctor who treated me for Poison Ivy.  When he was discussing treatment with my mother, I remember him talking about a case where a sailor came down with Poison Ivy while months out at sea.  I'm certain that if you do not discard or thoroughly wash your clothes and sleeping gear, the oils can reinfect the skin much later. 
I also used to be prescribed a prescription, "Poison Ivy Kit" each year.   The "Poison" kit came with diluted Ivy extract, the first vile contained 1/1000 diluted oil, the second 1/100 , and the third 1/10 oil.  I would start with the weakest and graduate to the strongest solution.  It took about a year to do, but never got poison while taking the pills.  Of course forgetting to "wipe the rear end", with soap and water was a constant concern,,, ohhhh the itch!!! 8) 8)  My doctor told me that the Native Americans used to boil Ivy Vines and give diluted extract to their children to boost their immunity.  I think that kit has been discontinued, the last time I could get it, it was ordered from a pharmacy in Canada, I believe.  All I can tell you is it worked darn well. ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

YellowHammer

Quote from: dboyt on June 30, 2014, 07:49:33 AM
Quote from: LeeB on June 30, 2014, 01:56:15 AM

You could have cut heavy slabs with the vines on them & set them aside for the woodworkers.  They'd love them!

Hmm, I did cut very heavy slabs and set them aside in the woods because I sure wasn't going to edge the flinches (no pun intended)! So those opening cuts were deep.:D :D, as in instant cant. 

But now you got me thinking...maybe I need to dig them out and sell them...along with a poison ivy kit.  Double money ;D

On the lighter side, when I turned the log with the claw, the vines were so thick it wouldn't even bite into the log, just rip vines off and get clogged.  The next day I paid my "off bearer" otherwise known as my future son in law, to spend some time and clean up the sawdust and debris under the mill. ::)
I guess I need to call him and see how he's doing.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Testing the young man, are you?

thecfarm

What log??
I have that poison ivy on my land,in one place. It does not turn into a vine. The Maine Winters slows that part down. Right now it is all gone,but if I don't keep at it,it will come right back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Down here, the poison ivy vines get so big that you could saw boards out of them  :)

drobertson

I've got to say, I would not saw them, what so ever, but the fact that this type of unusual character could be very profitable.  Not sure how it would be handled, for sure I would not. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 30, 2014, 08:54:15 PM
I like rustic as much as anyone, but not poison ivy rustic.  That is crazy.

Baby.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: reswire on June 30, 2014, 08:56:14 PM
As a kid, I had an old WW2 Navy Doctor who treated me for Poison Ivy.  When he was discussing treatment with my mother, I remember him talking about a case where a sailor came down with Poison Ivy while months out at sea.  I'm certain that if you do not discard or thoroughly wash your clothes and sleeping gear, the oils can reinfect the skin much later. 
I also used to be prescribed a prescription, "Poison Ivy Kit" each year.   The "Poison" kit came with diluted Ivy extract, the first vile contained 1/1000 diluted oil, the second 1/100 , and the third 1/10 oil.  I would start with the weakest and graduate to the strongest solution.  It took about a year to do, but never got poison while taking the pills.  Of course forgetting to "wipe the rear end", with soap and water was a constant concern,,, ohhhh the itch!!! 8) 8)  My doctor told me that the Native Americans used to boil Ivy Vines and give diluted extract to their children to boost their immunity.  I think that kit has been discontinued, the last time I could get it, it was ordered from a pharmacy in Canada, I believe.  All I can tell you is it worked darn well. ;D
Goats!!!!
They eat the poison oak/ivy clearing it from the land and drinking the milk of a goat that is eating it is said to give you emunity to it.
As a kid we drank a lot of goats milk and our cousins dodn't, we never had more then a bump or two where all the cousins had masive blisters everywhere :o
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

shelbycharger400

Seen it other day. Its a crawlin up back of the garage here.  Better go take a long stick n knock it down

clww

Can't count the number of trees in the past year we've taken out that looked like that one. >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!