iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loppers

Started by Randall, December 13, 2003, 09:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

Does anyone know where I can order some "actual" heavy duty loppers. I've got one or two thousand 1"-1.5" Red Alder and other to kill  ::). I'd like the double acting kind. It would be good if the handles were bent so I could cut at a right angle to the stem near the ground without having to bend over. Bailey's or Forestry Supplier's don't have them. I'd rather not have to spend $300-600 for a gas brush trimmer. Thanks. ;D

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Randall.

Sears sells them.  I'm not a big fan of Sears anymore but sometimes they do have stuff in inventory that others don't.

There is a tool I've used to clear right-of-ways and shrub in open ground that you might want to try.  It is called a ditch bank blade.  It is a wide, flat blade with a curved tip and is kinda like using a machete on the end of a 4 foot handls.  They work real good and time will have you cutting 1" stuff off at ground level.  Just carry a file in your hip pocket and keep it sharp.  I've cleaved palmettos, pine trees, oaks, gums and all manner of shrubs up to 3" with one swipe.  Two swipes isn't a lot of effort.

http://www.tool-clearinghouse.com/m/Metal_Plastic_Raw_Materials/16in-Pro-Ditch-Bank-Blade-425937.htm

http://www.tooldigger.com/e/Edgers/16in_Pro_Ditch_Bank_Blade_B0000AXB1H.htm

The tool is readily available through most hardware stores for approx. $30.

Fla._Deadheader

Man, I must be gettin old !!!

Back in the "old" days, that thing was called a "Brush Hook". This redefining of items with new names is passin me by, quicker than I can keep up with. :D :D :D

I've cleared many acres of ground with one of them suckers ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)  albeit, a little at a time :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Stan

I'm disappointed, I thought this was gonna be about yoopers with a lisp.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

David_c

hey randall i have a pair of sthil loppers and they are lite weight and heavy duty they work great. there not bent but they are long.

Tom

Dead-header.  We called them brush hooks and bush hooks too but I was corrected one time.  A bush hook has a blade that is thick, kinda like an axe.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_and_Garden-Hand_Tools-All-Ames_Single_Edge_Bush_Hook

A brush hook I was told was properly called a ditch bank blade.  I had to change my vocabulary. :D

I've sense found tools called brush hooks that looked like a bow saw but with a knife blade and a long handl.  I've also found on that looks like a potato rake.  I guess "Brush hook" is  all-encompassing :D

A ditch bank blade, I find, isn't nearly as phsically demanding as a Bush hook.  They are a lot lighter and the thin blade cuts easier. :) :).

Fla._Deadheader

Where I grew up, everyone had a "brush hook" cause there wan't a ditch or bank for miles & miles ;D :D :D :D

The blades were not near as thick as an axe. ::) ;D ;D ;D

The knife blade with long handle sounds like a "stalk cutter", either corn or cane???

Ever use a "corn cutter", for taking ears off the stalk???  I'm talkin acres not a few stalks. How about a shuckin peg???

First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

What I have that is called a brush hook has a double bitted axe handle and the head is Ell shaped. The blade part that is parallel to the handle is about 8 inch long, the hook part is about 5 inches. If you have to clear out a bramble patch, it is the tool to use. It is a tool for an young person, if you have much to clear, hire someone or get youself a gas hedge timer.

Kevin

An option would be to rent a clearing saw for a day or two.

Bro. Noble

Harold,

Did you ever use a fodder cutter?  They strapped to your boot and had a blade that stuck out to the side.  You stomped the base of a corn or shorghum stalk to cut it leaving your hands free to shock the fodder.  We've used them to cut out cornrows to lay irrigation pipe.  Glad we don't do that anymore :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Nope, Bro. Noble. Never heard of that one???

I DO have what I think is called a "Dill-peck".???  It's a hand held corn planter that looks kinda like a walking cane with a seed hopper and a trip pedal that is ground activated??? ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

That "ditch bank tool" will cut like a demon, but it'll mess up your arm if you ain't careful. If you don't hit perfectly square and solid, it vibrates like crazy. I pretty near lost use of my left arm from tendonitis the first year we had this place, and I think that's what caused it.
My favorite tool for cutting brush that size is the lopper that is part of my pruning saw. You could attach a lever near the handle, and run a stiff wire down to the lopper, and you'd have a serious, long-reach tool that will cut anything that gets in the slot. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

IndyIan

Lee Valley has a brush axe, same idea as the brush hook.  One chop, one stem.

David_p has had some experience doing the same thing you are in this thread.  I'm sure he has some advice.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=Business;action=display;num=1017008092;start=500

Ian

Scott

I have one of those brush axes, made by sandvik i think. the thing worked great until the blade popped out of the bow. I can't get it tight again and it just doesn't work too well becuase of that. I'll have to take the blade back out and clamp it in the vice some night and see what I can do, it was a great tool to have around.

Randall

Thank you all for your help. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Randall, notice how this bunch stays seriously with the posted topic??? :D :D :D :D :D

If you want accurate info, I couldn't send ya to a better place than this, only, it may take ya a week er three to finally get what ya want??? :D :D :D :D

Hope ya enjoy it here ;) ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!