iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

North American Wild Fires 2021

Started by Riwaka, April 21, 2021, 05:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riwaka

Interview with John Saltenberger, North West Inter-agency Co-ordination Center. 

Two of the key observations are the reduced number of 'rain reset days' during fire season and the strong easterly winds 'moving north'.

What Oregonians can expect from the upcoming fire season - YouTube

quilbilly

I was just looking at snowpack and most if WA and northern oregon are ok. Southern oregon and Cal are lower than average though.
a man is strongest on his knees

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Riwaka

Riwaka

Unfortunately plenty of 'spectacular flames' wild fires atm resulting in property loss etc.

Western Washington State fire season preparation and review of last year's fire.
Growth in western Washington wildfires a worrying trend amid stressed forests - YouTube

quilbilly

Quote from: Riwaka on July 15, 2021, 06:27:45 PM
Unfortunately plenty of 'spectacular flames' wild fires atm resulting in property loss etc.

Western Washington State fire season preparation and review of last year's fire.
Growth in western Washington wildfires a worrying trend amid stressed forests - YouTube
It's dry but we did get a bit of mist today. That heat wave killed us for snow pack. We were doing well up until that. 

charles mann

We got called up a week early, ferried from so-cal to wenatchee, wa. then a few days later made our way to coeur d' alene, id for a day, and now working hard out of grangeville, id. 

We have been flying at least 1x a day, and on days, getting 3 cycles. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

charles mann

Quote from: mike_belben on July 16, 2021, 02:39:39 PM
Thanks for your service charles
You are very welcome sir. Since im not able to continue serving the american people in the armed services, this still allows to do it and have a positive purpose in life. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Sauna freak

What's going on in southern Ontario?  We've been getting consistent smoke/haze as far south as Southern MN, and they just closed a large block of the BWCA due to proximity of Canadian fires.  Several have popped up in Northern MN, but all have been contained so far.

The dryness goes as deep as I've ever seen it in Northern MN.  I have a hunting camp near Hibbing, and all spring/summer, we've been dragging punky old logs out of the swamp to burn in the campfire.  Usually one can wring water out of those like a sponge.  My firewood pile cut green in March/April is already cured enough to cook fish fry with.  So far, there's been enough spotty rains to keep the grasses and shrubs green, but it seems on the razor's edge of going critical.  The heavy fuel, duff and peats are primed to take and hold fire.  Water table in the bogs is down a foot or 2.  Not looking forward to August/September if we don't start getting real rain.  Could be a historic fall fire season in the North, especially if we get an early frost.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

SwampDonkey

I think Ontario and Manitoba have some large fires going on. I know lots of FF'ers left here (NB and NS) this week to go out there.

Here's the situation.

Manitoba

Ontario

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Eberly Forestry

It's record dry here in NW Ontario. Forestry is mostly shut down. Cash crops are maturing early without anything to show for. Farmers hay crops are ΒΌ of usual. Lots of fires from dry thunderstorms. 

SwampDonkey

And Ontario is almost twice the size of Texas.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thomasjw4

The West Lolo Complex is mostly on my District.   It started as over 40 lightning caused fires,  and we have most of them controlled.   Already in EXTREME  fire danger with Stage 2 restrictions in place.   VERY early for NW Montana.  

quilbilly

My dad just got an invite to look at some 300 acres of private burn in Oregon. Not sure if we're gonna go. The fly fishing is supposed to be good though, hunting too. So maybe a fall trip is in order.

ST Ranch

Here I BC we are in the same situation as most of Canada and the PNW.  Unheard of drought conditions and not enough resources to deal with the current fires [300 + in BC alone]

A week old lightening strike smoldering at high elevation took a turn for the worse and now is 1000 ha and 6-7  km from homes and ranches.  60 homes on evacuation alert 

It is bbout 10 km north of my place, but I am packing up some valuables cuz a change in the winds could have it hear in a matter of hours.

Very frustrating that this fire  [ as are others] that are initially allowed to burn as part of the new concept of "natural fires are good". - I agree they may have their place but not in early July with extreme drought codes and fire ratings.  

Very likely this could have been avoided if the fire had been actioned by a heli repel crew when it first was discovered.  Huge cost to the taxpayer let alone those who are directly effected by it.

Some pictures of it from the other night.  

Bright areas near the lake in first picture are street lights.
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

BAN

Gonna be a long season.  I've been on two fires already. Have a falling module on colville reservation fire and dozer on Rice WA fire. 100 year drought in the Intermountain area. Red flag warnings from tonight through Wednesday morning.  Resources will be stretched thin fairly soon.

sawguy21

We have gone 5 weeks with record temperatures and no measurable rain. No relief in sight for at least two weeks. The bush is shut down and crops are pretty much wiped out. I have a bag packed and in the truck, if the call comes I just grab the dog and go.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Godspeed to you folks out there.
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

The way fires are popping up and moving I may need all the speed I can get.

Ron Scott

US, Northwest Pushing Limits of Firefighting Resources: 'Worst Possible Conditions'
The Oregonian, July 17, 2021
U.S. Forest Service leaders got a message from their top boss last Wednesday. Chief Vicki Christiansen, the agency's leader, announced that all Forest Service workers should immediately refocus their time and energy to address the country's worsening wildfire season. Fires were resisting control efforts, she said, and the West was bracing for more extreme weather in the coming months.
The E-Forester
~Ron

mike_belben

Id be prayin for rain if i was out yalls way. 
Praise The Lord

Andries

From my BIL in Kamloops, BC

The entire trestle bridge is gone.

Fire is coming over the hill and heat-rise lightening.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

sawguy21

Was that the CN trestle at Lytton? We are getting hammered and it's not over yet.

Thank You Sponsors!