iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stolen sawmill

Started by bruce29, June 03, 2021, 05:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

My custom built sawmill was recently stolen from me near Ardmore Tenn. This happened in the last couple weeks . This is a custom sawmill I built myself. Please be on the lookout for it. I will post pictures and link to my Facebook page also . Thanks for any help.  ( could of been repainted by now but 1 of a kind.) [url=https://www.facebook.com/bruce.hill.1485537]Update Your Browser | Facebook[/url]      Please share this contact 256-497-4362

doc henderson

sorry to hear that, and I hope it is recovered intact!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

That's too bad.  :(  :(  >:(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

711ac

I hope that you find it. 

WV Sawmiller

I hope you find the thieves who took it. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear this 
I will keep my eye out on FB market place
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

There's been a few mills stolen from Forestry Forum members over the last few years, worse thing is to my knowledge none have been recovered!

Hope you find it, Bruce!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bannerd

Not to hijack this BUT what options can we do to prevent this?  I usually take a wheel off but how hard would it be for someone to battery impact one on and drive away?

Ugh, hope you recover from this.

mike_belben

Man that was a real beauty. I hope they hang for it. 

I will keep a close eye out for it in my neck of the woods.   LSN.com is a TN/AL/GA classified to watch too.  

Paging some folks in the region...

@treemuncher  
@will k  
@just_sawing  
@123maxbars   
@kiko 
@Kenny.jenkins  
@stihlsawer  
@Jjoness4  
@wolf nemeth  
@grabber green  
@Downstream  
@YellowHammer  
@Sawbriar  
@AlabamaLaura  
@RichTired  
@Esaw  
@ReggieT  
@Hot Shot Rob  
Praise The Lord

btulloh

Sorry to hear that.  I hope your mill is recovered and the thief receives his due punishment.

Nice looking build.  What kind of engine is on it?

What length blades does it use?  If they are a unique or unusual length, perhaps the major blade suppliers should be alerted.  Somebody's going to have to order blades for it.

HM126

farmfromkansas

I have been having trouble with thieves as well, lost my 22' trailer I used to haul my skidsteer and attachments, along with the grapple and 2 post augers, and my 06 Honda Rancher, and a 25 gallon sprayer a couple weeks ago.  Started removing the hitch from my mill after the thieves hit the first time, this is my 3rd theft, last time was my Chevy 2500HD, which was recovered after 6 days by the state troopers.  Deputy's advice is to make it difficult for thieves.  Tag off my trailer was recovered in a stolen pickup truck at Andover, so the thieves had to steal a truck to pull the trailer, and would bet that the stuff has been sold to a scrap yard in Wichita.  Deputys are not checking very hard, they are overwhelmed.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

YellowHammer

I will keep an eye out.  Ardmore is not too far from us.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lostinmn

Some people in the world just suck  :-[  So sorry you got hit!

For those seeking a way to keep their stuff safe, there are some cell based security cameras with battery and solar panel that will notify you on movement, such as the Reolink Go: 

"Smart Motion Detect and Instant PIR Motion Alerts - PIR schedule and sensitivity adjustment, motion recording and push notifications, email alerts, sound alarms and customized voice alerts when highly sensitive PIR motion sensor detect motion, accurate and smart motion detection less false alarm."

Since its wired free, it would even work on a mobile mill as long as you have a cell phone signal.

I've been thinking about trying one at our cabin property that doesn't have wifi, just to keep an eye on things and as a small measure of security if someone comes on the property as we have a fair amount of $s tied up in equipment on site.  

mike_belben

it would be BEST if all the stolen stuff landed at scrapyards because most yards now require license photos, license plates and have cameras, many also fingerprint before payment.  if they buy stolen property theyre potentially in hot water without having a seller to point the finger at so they keep close tabs these days now that the technology is cheap to do so.  im a second generation scrapper since about 7 years old, and i worked as a contractor at several yards from maybe 2012 to 2016, still like family with one.  i also recovered a bobcat chassis that was stolen from me (by the lying dirtbag seller!) and brought to a scrap yard i worked with so i have a little experience on all sides of this.  detectives are in frequent contact with scrapyards and thieves know it.  this is not the place they bring major items anymore.  yes, ambiguous things like copper wire, carbide,  stolen plumbing and cats are always gonna be brought in with little hope of recovery.  there will also be crooked scrapyards and bodyshops who have thief crews working the night for them particularly on late model expensive vehicles in major urban areas.  theyll get insurance to pay for brand new parts, then pay a GTA kid a hundred bucks or whatever to go fetch them a matching make model color to get the parts off.  strip it in two hours then launch it off the rollback on the parkway in 5 seconds and be gone. 

more than likely the thief already knows who they are bringing this thing to when they snatch it. and the receiver probably knows exactly what it is too. i live on one of those roads where the stolen stuff from town ends up and gets traded around. 

you have a much better chance of finding it by looking for a new lumber seller or log buyer.  just keep that in mind.

keep a close tab on your car when its warming up outside the house.  carloads of them get dropped off a hundred miles from base and have to rob their way back in a vehicle.  generally young males trapped in human traffic situations.. places like jersey, philly, chicago, boston etc have a lot of this and shop the suburbs at daylight when normal people are headed to work.  my dad snatched one out of his van a few years ago. and a neighbor here got hit last year.
Praise The Lord

trimguy

I'm sorry to hear that. I hate a thief. I will keep an eye out. It looks like you did a very nice job of building it.

boonesyard

Sorry to hear that, it sucks. Looks like a nice mill.

Been talking about putting in security camera for a year now, last Sunday was the final straw. We were only gone for a couple hours, but someone tried to break in to the shop, wrecked the door handle but didn't get in. Never had an issue in 30+ years. Pulled the trigger and put a security camera in this week that sees the whole yard. Too many people out there trying hard to not work hard. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

bannerd

Cameras don't work these days,  A guy walked up during the night to a local store with a fake license plate(s), loaded a brush hog and drove off.  Since he had a mask on it was impossible to tell who it was.  Knew what he was doing as he brought a skid steer and an angle grinder to cut the cable.

The power company here runs cables with a ceramic insert, those seem to work good.  Run them around the wood chippers and bucket trucks but even then they get defeated.  Common thieves look for GPS boxes and hook ups, I don't know a good product that will work honestly.

boardmaker

I hope you find it Bruce.  It's obvious you worked hard on it.  It's just as nice as any production mill I've seen.

ReggieT

YIKES!!
Ardmore is mighty close to my old stomping grounds.
I use to run a Schwans Frozen food route that covered both the Tenn & Alabama Ardmore.

I'll keep my eyes & ear open.
Little do they know concerning the "Law of the Harvest"...it's coming up again!

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lostinmn

Quote from: bannerd on June 03, 2021, 12:59:02 PM
Cameras don't work these days,  A guy walked up during the night to a local store with a fake license plate(s), loaded a brush hog and drove off.  Since he had a mask on it was impossible to tell who it was.  Knew what he was doing as he brought a skid steer and an angle grinder to cut the cable.

The power company here runs cables with a ceramic insert, those seem to work good.  Run them around the wood chippers and bucket trucks but even then they get defeated.  Common thieves look for GPS boxes and hook ups, I don't know a good product that will work honestly.
The camera is less there to catch them after than to be alerted on your phone that someone is up to no good.  Most camera let you speak though them and/or have an automated message/alarm triggered by movement.  Most people will skedaddle when confronted by alarm going off or someone speaking to them via the cam saying he I see you and you better get.... (they don't know how far you and your shotgun are away  ;D). 

farmfromkansas

Think we are going to have to make templates and use spray paint to put our names on everything we own.  That mill would have been distinctive if it had your name painted on it in big letters.  Fancy, so it looks like a brand.  Help the police identify it too.  Be better than Woodmizer painted on it.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

dgdrls

Sorry to hear this

https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

something like this,

other systems are out there as well

D

Vautour

The tracking device is an excellent idea having it hidden on your mills somewheres,... another thing when having a home built mill sometimes your band saw blades can be an odd ball length so i'd check all the saw blade distributors and blade sharpeners if someone comes in looking for that specific length,.. all the hard work required on a home built and have it stolen is just sickening.      
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Peter Drouin

:rifle:  then feed them to the hogs
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!