iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookie cutter platform

Started by redbeard, June 12, 2021, 12:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

needed a more efficient way too quickly secure stumpage and rounds too do cookie cutting.
Used some unistrut and made some clamps out of HDPE plastic it's a bit soft but works good when cambium needs protecting. In the process of making some aluminum clamps for more solid holding strength.
This platform is for Our Hud-Son 60 mill the measurements are 62" long by 42" wide. It's a bit heavy probably 200 lbs but I can place it anywhere on mill bed.
Put it too the test yesterday and was very pleased with the ease of production.
My inspiration too make one was I was looking at the new WM cookie cutter and chose too build one with materials on hand. The wood should hold up well it's Old growth Douglas fir and used alot of outdoor glue and fasteners.
Bonus feature is it's a nice platform too stand on too fill the diesel and water lube jug.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Downstream

Very nice setup.  probably the best one I have seen to date.  This one gives you unlimited options for size/shape.  Well done.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

kelLOGg

I agree with downstream. Looks like you can cut pretty low. I can't see how the clamping system keeps the log from toppling. Can you send more pics to explain. 
Mind bites on the bottom 4" of the log so I lose a lot of cookie material but it really holds the log. Can't see how yours holds. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

redbeard

These are the aluminum clamps and the all thread clamps work great for holding the taller and top heavy rounds.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kelLOGg

I took Redbeard's design (thanks for the idea) and modified it for my cookie platform. The unistruts are radii with clamps with hardened nails welded on to penetrate the lower 1/2" to 3/4" of the cookie blank. The wedges between the unistruts are a mish-mash of SYP and sweetgum. There are 8 clamps available for holding irregular blanks. So far I have sawn only 5 to 8" dia blanks and it has held them very tightly. I think the small ones are more difficult to hold tightly due to their small base so I am very pleased with the sturdiness. Can saw down to about 1" from the blank bottom up to 20" dia.
<br
>

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!