iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i need beehive plans

Started by yukon cornelius, April 08, 2014, 09:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I want to make beehive in the next 2 weeks and I need some plans. I have found a few plans online and im leaning towards a top bar hive. it looks like something I can build. ive never had bees before so this will be a new adventure for us.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

wildbill

I suggest longstrom, langstrom or whatever its called hives.  This way your hive parts are the same as 99%  of the other beekeepers.  Its not a big deal until you realize you need to add another super to your hive but you are out of them.  This way you can call a buddy and borrow/buy one of his that will fit. 

Also using the framed foundation you can spin the honey away from the comb and put the comb back in the hive.  The bees have to fix it they wont have to replace it.
Raider Bill's favorite son

Farmer Jim

There is a book called "Bee Equipment Essentials" by Ed Simon, available from Wicwas Press which gives a full account of making Langstroth type hive bodies and parts as well as jigs to make the job easier.  There is a book on topbar hives available from someplace I can't remember.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

wildbill

bama20a

There is a site called beesource.You can find plans for both there
But as wildbill said,I'd stay with the standard hives.

hope you enjoy your bees,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

bama20a

Sorry I didn't say before,But if you don't find what your looking for get back with me & I can give you the measurement's I've got a few hundred of them.Mark,,,,,

yukon cornelius

thanks for the replies! I will check those sites and see what I can do. there is a older gentleman a few miles from here that has bees but I am painfully shy and am terrible at meeting new people. im not the kind of guy to go and ask for help of any kind. I do however seem to have the courage to come on here and bug people about what I need to know. I guess Im so much  cooler online. hey that would make a great song... :D

thecfarm

Go bug that guy,he would enjoy it I bet. A guy stopped here and wanted me to get into bees. He was a real nice guy. I almost think he would of just about gave me the stuff to get me going. He wanted a new place to get away for the pests too. But I have enough going on,so said no.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bama20a

Yep, I bet the older fellow would like that,Most if not all of us ol'folks like to talk about our bees ;D,
For one thing it's something that the younger people is not doing much.So it needs to be passed on.
Bet he would be glad to teach you a lot.

wildbill

i got started in bee keeping by helping an older coworker who was doing cemo.  he didnt have the strength to do the work so i told him i didnt have a clue what to do but could follow direction. 

a 2 weeks later he was setting me up with his extra stuff (including a powered extractor) and i was on my way.  I now have 5 hives and he is cancer free. 

old beekeepers, usually, are very friendly.

tgalbraith

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 08, 2014, 09:40:48 AM
I want to make beehive in the next 2 weeks and I need some plans. I have found a few plans online and im leaning towards a top bar hive. it looks like something I can build. ive never had bees before so this will be a new adventure for us.
go to "motherearth.com". They have the plans complete with dimensions. Good luck. 8)
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

yukon cornelius

thanks! im going to check that out.

woodsteach

I made 4 TBH from the biobees.com website.   2 packages of Bees arrive today  around 6:00 pm!!

I used almost full 2" cedar to give more insulating properties.
I also have one made of full 2" white oak that is waiting for a swarm or maybe a split sometime.  I even have a extra cedar one to sell or just I might just hold on to it just in case.  I LOVE honey. ;D ;D
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!