iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing mill power feed speed?

Started by Satamax, February 08, 2013, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi guys.

What would be a good feed speed range for a swinger? 70cm blade, 10HP electric 3 phase. A bit on the weak side, i know.

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sigidi

Max, personally I feel feed rate is not a standard thing, unless you go slow on everything.

I adjust feed rate for different logs - most simple example is pine versus hardwood. Clean grain hardwood will be faster than knotty pine, but then clean grain pine will be faster again. If the log has a 'grain feature' at some point you can feed faster but at the feature you have to go slower....

Only way I see it working is if you have an overpowered engine connected to the saw blade to cope with 'any' situation it may experience in the log and then use a 'steady' feed rate, unless of course you have some kind of 'variable control' on the feed rate....???
Always willing to help - Allan

Ianab

You will want it variable from zero to a brisk walking speed. Reason is that a full 10" cut you need the ability to slow right down, and even back up out of tension situation, while making a 1" cut, or returning the saw head not cutting can be done at speed. Fine speed control at the lower range is going to be important as you don't have the same "feel" that a manual feed does.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Satamax

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

Well, i guess my thingy, when i get it made, will be too heavy to push, hence the question. It will be variable anyway. Thinking about an inverter feeding a three phase motor/reductor. Ian, what kind of speed would be a "brisk walking speed"? I have short legs  ;D

I have another question, about rails and wheels. I have thoses mine cart wheels.

Would you use theses as is? With mine rails? Or make a V groove in them to follow an angled iron as a rail? My idea for the feed was to groove them anyway, to acomodate for a little belt on the outside, but looking at the thickness, i might not be able to do that. May be a motoreductor on each side would be clever. No mechanical link eases the engineering.

And for the up and down movement, easy  ;D I just bought this.

A two and a half ton screw type car lift.

Thanks for your replies guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

A pair of motoreductors like thoses

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/273986365.htm?ca=21_s

Would be a smidge fast, direct drive would give me about 260m/minute 853fpm. While i want to be in the 83m/minute 272fpm range more or less, from what you're saying.

Thank You Sponsors!