iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm looking for info on what makes a veneer log?

Started by Kelvin, February 04, 2004, 07:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

There is a veneer buyer near me and i would like to bring logs that are of that quality to them, but don't want to get the run around, and bother hauling logs that aren't worth it.  What would a veneer log of oak, cherry and walnut look like?  How big at small end?  How much taper?  Any branches?  How long?  What would one expect from a 10' 30" dia white oak veneer log?  10' 30" walnut log?  10' 30" cherry?  I'm going to be sawing some real nice cherry logs, and if they are sound i think they would be veneer quality, but they are coming from woods near homes.  Would the potential metal be delt with before they bought?  Would they not bother buying?  I would like to get the most for my logs and i know veneer is worth while.  I have seen logs in the veneer yard that didn't look that big to me from the road.  I suppose uniformity is more important than over all size?  Would i expect to be paid less for the same type of wood due to less logs?  Would they likely buy anything that had only a small bad center, say 1 inch?  Thanks for the help guys,
Kelvin

cut2size

In my limited experience, I have found that veneer logs shoud have no defects for the entire length of the log.  It is supposed to be the butt log and the butt should not be trimmed.  I have gotten veneer prices with 3 good faces and a catface on the fourth.  The best veneer logs grow in a forested area where the tree has to grow straight because it is competing for sunlight.  This also causes slow growth and a higher ring count.  As far as size GP buys veneer logs of 10" at the small end, minimum length 8: 6"
In WV cherry is the highest price followed by hard maple then walnut, ash, red oak, and finally white oak.  My price sheet does not show poplar or conifers as veneer.
Finally there are three grades of veneer #1, #2 and #3 with the most expensive #1.
As I said earlier, I have limited experience but I have sold veneer on occasion
HTH,
David
cut2size

Kelvin

Was wondering about what prices you would expect for cherry, #1, #2, #3?  How about walnut?  What did you get paid per bd ft?  Any ideas would help.  Would a log with one defect, on one face be considered a veneer log at all?  Or just #2, or #3 and therefore less $$ per bd ft?  Thanks
Kelvin

woodbeard

Best thing to do is call the veneer buyer. Ask what their specifications are and what they will pay. These things will vary with different buyers.

smwwoody

lay out the logs in your yard he should come and look at them there.  be prepared to turn them for him and keep them clean so he can see all sides.  this will keep you from trucking logs that he doesnt want.  I have them travel 50 miles to look at one cherry log.

when you cut them to length let them long at least one log past where they will stop makeing veneer.  he will tell you where he wants them cut.

I have had them buy cheery 38 foot long

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ron Wenrich

Having a defect on one face depends on the method they use to make the veneer.  Peeling will need 4 good faces. Those that use an offset can get away with a defect.  They only use 3 sides.  But, they don't pay as well for the logs.

As said, lay the logs out, and let a buyer tell you what's worth anything.  Also have a chainsaw handy.  They love to cut off ends.

Some defects that they can't use is shake, rot, mineral, gum streak, bird peck, catfaces (especially white oak), and worm.  You won't be able to see the wormholes.  The veneer buyer will wet down the end of the log to see if the worm appears.  Gum streak in cherry looks like a black streak.  Wormhole in maple is a grey dot.  

Species that we have sold as veneer include:  red oak, black oak, white oak, hickory, ash, hard maple, black cherry, tulip poplar, walnut, and sycamore.  Prices vary by area and need.  I've seen cherry as high as $8, when they really wanted it.

Generally speaking, they are looking for butt logs at 14" and larger with a minimum of 8'.  A list of veneer buyers should be available from your state forestry dept.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fla._Deadheader

Would it not be just as easy to drive to their yard and talk with someone, and look at what is in their yard ??? ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Engineer

Just spoke with a local logger today; he showed me a tally list that had the veneer buyer paying $190 for veneer grade hard maple, 14" dia. x 8'-6" log, scaled 64 board feet.  He says some of the larger logs he's been getting $600 and up per log for them.

Frickman

We do pretty much what you other guys are doing, lay them out and keep them long if possible. Although veneer buyers prefer 14" and up, I've sold some cherry down to 10" diameter. They were very nice second and even third logs, and the buyer needed them real bad. We have sold some large cherry butt logs, 8' and 10' long, with alot of sweep. Other than the sweep they were perfect. The buyer said they would cut four or five foot veneer out of them.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Jeff

We do the same. We lay ours out and the buyer comes and looks. He tells us what hes paying and if we dont like it we dont sell. Usually the price is competitive because they know if they cant buy them we will sell elsewhere. If htey want the wood, dey pay da price. Whats the price? No way to tell you that. Prices can be way to regional to give you an accurate forcast. If the buyer comes and quotes a price, and your first thought is that hey, I'm going to make some bucks, I'd say sell them puppies and move on to the next whack.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

steveST

What are "catfaces"...specifically in white oak?

I am looking for veneer oak logs for riving windsor chair parts. I would believe that buying logs for this purpose would be advantageous since I do NOT have to get 8' logs. So, buying shorter logs will be a convenient way for a logger to get rid of something a sawmill/veneer buyer would overlook.

Thanks!

Ron Wenrich

What we refer to as a catface is a bud cluster on the side of the tree.  It normally saws into a defect and is not wanted in veneer.  

Other areas refer to catfaces as a fire scar.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!