iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a elm tree

Started by A-z farmer, September 09, 2020, 06:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-z farmer

i have seen this trees for years and always thought it was an oak tree but I was able to finally get some leaves .The leaves look like elm but the bark does not .
I know the wood whisperer WDH will identify it.
Thank you 
Zeke

WDH

Absolutely, it is elm.  The leaves are doubly serrate, and the leaf base is inequilateral, that is, the two sides of the leaf at the base are offset.  The bark is somewhat interlaced, which is right for elm. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

A-z farmer

Thank you WDH 
I have cut a lot of elm since the 1970s because of the Dutch elm disease for fire wood and it is amazing to see some still thriving.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Al_Smith

I've got a fair amount of small elms but they seldom get much larger than 8-10 inches in diameter before they die .It's not great firewood .What it is good for is loading planks and the like .It will bend like a noodle unlike oak which will snap like a toothpick under a crushing load .
They fail by the roots after a while and are laying all over place in my woods .If I come across one about 6 inches in diameter I save them for side hauling logs and such . 

doc henderson

they grow well here.  most that are topped and ugly are from ice and snow and wind storms.  lots of farm driveways with a row of stubby elms.  I have a 4.5 foot diam. log in the yard now.  hard to move with the track loader till I trimmed it down to 8 feet long.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

It's really hard to speculate after maybe 100 plus years if the American elm and the ash trees make a come back .On the later I have many coming on from previous understory that have sprouted because of opening up space where they could get sunlight to grow .The elms obviously generations away from the 1960's when Dutch elm was ravaging the species .I'm old enough to remember when the big ones were still around .

A-z farmer

For many decades I have watched as the Dutch elm disease has been killing off the elms trees here in New York.But it seems as though it being a disease and not an insect like the ash borer that the some of the elms are still thriving on our farms .It is amazing the number of dead elms we cut every year for firewood. We just had a very big dead elm go down at one of our farms from last weeks storm .I will mill it up and take pictures next month.

mike_belben

Its a shame.  

Nightmare on elm stump street just doesnt have the right ring to it. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!