iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

post/plate/tie joint

Started by shackbuilder, June 21, 2016, 11:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shackbuilder

Anyone aware of a joint that brings the tie up to the top of the post with the top plate beam, without using a jowled post?  This is for a common rafter setup that will be step lapped into the plate.  I was going to have the tie come into the post 1' down from the shoulder with a wedged half-dovetail in a thru mortise, but the building is 24' wide, and i am worried about thrust stressing this joint and the post top tenons.  Roof pitch will be 12/12. Should i be worried, or is collar ties on every rafter set enough to eliminate the thrust.   Closest thing i have found is this, but as i see it, it jams me from including my 1' overhang on the rafters -  http://timberframehq.com/tie-beam-plate-tying-joint/
  Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jim_Rogers

One solution is to add a sprocket onto the side of the rafter to give you the overhang;

Hope that helps.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

To deal with the thrust issue, the simplest (to me) method is to avoid the collar related issues by having a post supported ridge, which will pickup one half of the roof load and place a substantial limit on thrust and ease stress on the tie joints.  Remember the thrust in a collar system is relentless and wood will deform and any weakness will be exposed in time.  A drive in the country will have on display many swaybacked, bulging buildings.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

shackbuilder

Trying to keep the ridge open in a cupula area, so there will be two heavier rafter sets headered off to carry the three rafters in that area.

Dave Shepard

Three way joints are tough, and more so if you don't use a jowled post and even more so with high thrust loads. Could you use a purlin plate to pick up the rafters mid span?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!