iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quartering BIG beasts

Started by steveST, June 03, 2003, 05:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

Quartering HUGE red oaks....

I have some 4', or so red oaks that I need to Quarter. However, I can not fit something THAT big on my WM Super.

I am looking for a big chain saw (kinda leaning toward a Husq 385/395) for this kinda thing.

What is the best way to handle these beasts??

Thanks.

Bibbyman

I don't think you really need a big chain saw to split large red oak.  I bet it's got at least one major crack in the butt anyway that probably runs all the way through it.  

Get some steel wedges and start at that crack.  Make and use some larger wooden wedges (called gluts) to continue the split.  You can use a chain saw to run down the split and cut the splinters.

I've split large red oak using this method and a Homelite XL12 Super with 18" bar.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

That is why a man needs a swinger in the area.  I would like to have one for that reason.  The red oak with a good crack will split easy enough.  If you grind a chain to 5 degrees it will cut the rip better.  I have done it and most of the time I use my small Sacks even though I have a Husky 385 and a 36 inch bar.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

steveST

Thanks for the quick responses...looks like I need to get some BIG wedges.

I just hope the logs are split, or better yet, split close to where I want them.

Bibbyman

I'm sure it varies from area to area.  But I've not seen a red oak over 20" on the butt that didn't have a major frost crack.  The larger they are, the larger and wider the crack - in general.  So if you don't split it by the crack,  you're going to wind up sawing across it in one of the quarters anyway - thus loosing lumber.

Now, some other "brands" of trees don't lend themselves well to splitting and other means must be used.   Even at that,  a saw with a bar that will reach at least half way through would work.  

I've never used one of the big saws with super long blade so I don't know - but I'd think I'd rather take two cuts with a small(er) saw and shorter bar than one big honkin' cut.
Sawing since '94

Percy

I split my bigass Cedar butts with the Bobcat. I put the butt against a log pile, push one pallet fork about 6 to 10 inches into a crack(DONT go in any farther as I did once),sometimes I have to create a crack. After penetrating, just tilt the forks down and wala, she's a done deal. Ya gotta have the good steel on your forks and as I said, dont go in too far as youll have a heeluva time trying to get that suckker off.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ron Wenrich

You could use that powder wedge that Jeff has.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

I've thought about using the forks on the loader to help split a log but not tried it.  Good point about not going in so deep you can't back out.  Would be a lot of work to chop a 4,000 lb log off your nose. :D
Sawing since '94

Percy

QuoteI've thought about using the forks on the loader to help split a log but not tried it.  Good point about not going in so deep you can't back out.  Would be a lot of work to chop a 4,000 lb log off your nose. :D

Had to do that once.....sigh..heh.... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

Percy,

Get a picture next time you do that.  I am not going to start trying to split logs that way as my wife is about talked into the swinger.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Eggsander

Arky,
Now I thought you had her talked into that a year ago. Is it her, or are you holding out to see if someone will build you an Orange one.  :D I spose you could talk to Peterson's, they could maybe do a custom paint job for ya.  ;)
Steve

Captain

I prefer the aluminum and stainless steel on my mill to stay polished. ;)

The only thng red on her is the PETERSON logo ;D

Bring on the "big beasts"

Captain

Frank_Pender

What ia have done on some 7 and 8 foot Sequoia, is saw through the length of the 36" bar on my 066 and then lay the log so the cutis horizontal to the ground and penetrate with the two forlks from the loader on my Johnnie Popper. Wow, what a rush it was.
Frank Pender

Jeff

Hey Arky, there's your handy dandy link just to the left. That'd be a pretty good way to welcome a new sponsor, finding wanda a playmate. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ARKANSAWYER

Renee' finally got me to put some wood on e-bay so I will be rich soon ;D  I bet a few more boards and I can drop coin for my swinger, logosol planer, knuckle boom loader and wheeler trailer. ::)  Yea right!  She thinks that it is the way to sell my pretty boards.  I told her that I could get a slabber and make some really wide boards.  She is onboard for getting the mill it is just the coin that worries her.
ARKANSAWYER
e-bay   2326930405

ARKANSAWYER

redpowerd

now theyll be a flood of them slabs on ebay. to your corners, men.  ;D. what is that stuff, arky?looks swampy?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Nifty chunk-o-ash there ARK
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

ash? hooooo. come from a yard or a hedgerow? never ever seen ash tat knotty
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Tom

Because of that auction I scanned the 'Lumber' auctions and was amazed to find knots from the sides of trees being sold as burls and lots of other mis-titled wood.  I would hope that the buyers are more educated than the sellers.  

That is a pretty piece of wood, Arkansawyer.

ARKANSAWYER

Redpowered,
  It is a ash that was dead standing and was covered with burls and laid in Electric Al's firewood pile for years before I saved it.  It is solid and very nice to scroll saw.  My wife made a pack train of horses for her Dad with the rest of this board.
  Tom,
  It is ashame what they are calling stuff on there and selling it.  That is why I am fixing to be rich.   Some guys seem to base their whole operation on there and you can just order form them through e-bay.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

CHARLIE

Gosh Jeff, I looked at Arky's slab and thought it looked like Oak.  Reckon he'll have to tell us. ::) :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Charlie. Arky's makin BIG bucks with that piece. Last time I looked, it was all the way up to 5 bucks. There is 4 more days to go, and, it seems lately that the bidding goes fast at the last few minutes of the auction. Who know's?? He might get a swinger yet !! Good luck, Arky !! ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

redpowerd

guess i could have looked a little closer, looks like a rich mans board, anyway.  hey, im goin to ebay to witness this mess, good luck arky, but i wont be buyin it :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

ARKANSAWYER

Redpowered,
  You'se missing a great chance here to own that board.  Not only would you own an ARKANSAWYER board but the very first one ever sold on e-bay by him.   Some day when I make the Great Sawyer Hall of Fame the board would be worth several more coins.  Why it would be a board that one could place above the mantel and display with great pride and tell their grandchildern on how they out bidded everyone on an old machine called a computer. ;)   We are talking history here being made before your very eyes and you are letting it slip through your fingers!  There are times when a man has to take hold of oppertunity and hang on for the ride.
  Now I have to go clean off my boots. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

ARKANSAWYER,  you're a poster child for and anti-cloning campaign. :D
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!