iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Down in the Honey Hole

Started by timbuck2, December 21, 2011, 12:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbuck2

I have about 15 acres of big spruce/fir and mixed hardwood, some maple over 24".  Now as some of you know there is a reason that wood is still there, it's down in a hole and is nasty to get it out.  I should have pulled it across my neighbors, the previous owner was a good ole boy from Tennessee, but the new owner is from Boston and that's not going to happen.  I have to pull steep up and side hill, but so far this year frozen ground and no snow is good.  I got ole Jack all chained up and special rigged.  18.4x34's on the off side and  23.1x26's on the near side. ;D

jocco

why not put up some rigging and use a sky car like on the west coast??? Don't blame the neighbor for not wanting you on his land!!!!
You may check out but you will never leave

dnash

Quote from: timbuck2 on December 21, 2011, 12:41:57 PM
18.4x34's on the off side and  23.1x26's on the near side. ;D

What sort of effect will this have on your differentials? There must be 2 or 3 inches of height/diameter difference.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

beenthere

As it appears this tire size difference is to accomodate for the side hill trek, so do you back down and drive out, or drive down and back out?  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Really  ??? ???  That won't be good for your differentials at all.  It's a recipe for major mechanical failure
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rick f

Stay tuned for the repair questions. Needs to have all the same size tires.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

lumberjack48

You'd think that would bind up and go [ POP ]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ScottAR

I agree with the other posters, this is a recipe for repairs.  Do not under any circumstances engage the diff lockers set up this way.  Something WILL break and it likely won't be cheap and it will happen in the worst spot to repair it.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

snowstorm

my guess is its a timberjack. so the rears are pretty much locked all the time. one side will try to go faster than the other

PAFaller

Yeah i would not run two different size tires that sounds like a recipe for disaster. 23.1s with a fit of fluid in them would probably be the most stable, although with more surface area they don't always bite the best. 240s are a pretty common rig down here so I have run a few. Mine setup on 23.1s is more stable, but on the flats and good ground I like the taller 18.4-34s my friend has on his 240C. If its real steep just scratch a road in with a dozer first, thats how we do it and stay productive down here. You can fight your way in and out of the hollers but at the end of the day you and the equipment are wore out, and what you spent in frustration would easily pay for a days worth of dozer work.
It ain't easy...

jocco

All joking aside  an excavator might be a good choice to build a road, dozer second.
You may check out but you will never leave

SPIKER

depending on the drop & length cable may be better choice, winch em out...
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!