iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feasability of doing specialty sawing in SW Michig

Started by oakiemac, February 28, 2003, 06:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been reading it with interest for awhile. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if it is possible to buy a portable mill and do speciality sawing for small wood lots, blow down, and possibly some urban trees, and make a profit. I'm not talking about sawing full time, but just as a side buisness-enough to possibly pay off the saw. Thanks in advance.

Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

johncinquo

Hey nice to hear from you.  Where ya at?  I am in Grant, about 40 miles N of GR.  I know there are guys that do that, but I couldnt tell ya if they make it pay.  When you fiure out how to use the private messages, send me a note.  Good luck with your new hobby!   John
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Tom

Hey Oakiemac

I have done it in Florida.  I'm sure you could do it in Michigan.  The biggest step is letting folks know that you want to saw and the second biggest step is learning to saw correctly.  The customers will wear your phone out.  It's a hot and cold business but when it's hot you'll wish you had gone fishing.

Check out www.tomssaw.com

RMay

Oakiemac it will of you work at it and can get the word out your sawing . The customers will come . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Jeff

If the quarantine spreads on the Ash due to the Emerald Ash Borer infesting all the ash trees down there,  there might be a lot of folks wanting some ash lumber cut.

Here is a link to a PDF brochure on the EAB from the DNR.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/EAB_Brochure_FINAL_52111_7.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

Hi Oakie!

I've only had my saw for about a month and I haven't done any advertising or anything and I've already made my first 2 payments on the mill just from word of mouth. I'm amazed  how many people come out to see me and call me just to ask about what I can cut. I have only told a few friends and the local lumber store about the mill as I'm still not set up completely . I have built a deck on my house and a lean-too for the saw and a deck package for my cabin and I've saved around $6000.00 so the saw has paid for itself already.
  I would recommend buying a saw as there are lots of people that need wood cut for their projects.

Good luck!

Steve

oakiemac

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the replies. I'm just in the research phase right now with a lot to learn.

Oakie  :P
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!