iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New firewood tool...

Started by upnut, April 14, 2022, 01:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Just took delivery, 1979 John Deere 2240 with 145 loader, 860 hours and clean. The cab is a PITA for entry/egress and may or may not stay. Since I am still in a sling my brother did all the test driving, we closely inspected top to bottom, very clean and straight. I am pleased... 8)

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

doc henderson

Looks like by your location, the cab could be handy in those "winters we hear tell of".   :)  congrats!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

On my 2355 JD the cab was a pain to enter because the fender kept the door from opening far enough, I removed the door but left the cab on, worked for me.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Lostinmn

Congratulations, always fun to add some new iron to your inventory list.  

I'm not sure what the cab set up on that tractor is like but we really went around and around on if to go with a cab on our last tractor. Was worried about the constant in and out when hauling logs and general messing around.We decided to go with the cab and really like it especially in those cold Minnesota winters.  Once I got used to it I'm pretty sure I got in and almost as fast off a tractor without, or at least a close enough that it makes the pros for the cab very much worth it.

Enjoy your new toy!

SwampDonkey

Looks good.

We had a John Deere 2950 for 30 years until we sold the farm. Very reliable tractor. We plowed and harrowed fields, picked rocks and loaded wood onto a Chevy 70 tandem with that old girl. Love hydrostatic. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

B.C.C. Lapp

Looks like a good buy.   Your going to use that loader a lot.   When I got my first tractor with a loader I wondered how I ever lived or got any thing done with out one.  Especially in the wood yard.  Keep the cab, some cold rainy morning you'll be real glad you did.   I like somebody else's idea of taking the door off.
    None of my tractors have cabs and there are days I wish they did.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Crusarius

I have a roof. I was going to take it off, but I found I really like having it. helps keep you out of the sun baking and rain freezing 

thecfarm

OK, 1979 with 860 hours!!!??  ??? 
Did they have 4 other tractors and never used it?? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

Ray- If only tractors could talk! I asked ALOT of questions and the hours seem to be legit. I've known the salesman and hauler for years, neighbors of mine, who said the previous owner was an older gent who puttered around his place with it. It's in great shape...

Once I get up to speed recovering from shoulder surgery I'll put in some hours learning the "hokey-pokey' foot work for access to the cab. It would make snow removal more fun.....

Scott B.

newoodguy78

I fully understand your frustration with the cab. Those  heiniker, year round and laurin cabs are anything but ergonomically correct to get in and out of especially on utility tractors.  They all seem to force you immediately into the side of the dash trying to get in. Once you're in them they aren't bad though. 
Got a laurin cab on the 285 Massey here sure was nice this afternoon when a thunderstorm rolled through. 

thecfarm

What a deal!!
It's brand new!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

AND....No electronics/EPA gizmos. All you need is air, fuel, and 12 volts to spin the engine. It's been awhile since I've owned anything diesel, will need to rethink/restock basic routine maintenance type stuff. Fun, fun, fun.... :)

Scott B.

hedgerow

Upnut  Nice find. I had its big brother for years 1979 2940 148 loader Year round cab. I bought it in 1990 and it only had 500 hours on it but the motor was locked up. Guy bought it new and used it some on the family farm. It always set out side and the rain cap came off the exhaust. Guy got cancer and passed and farm sold and I bought the tractor. Brought it home overhaul it painted it new hoses on the loader. I used it for a loader tractor feeding cows, pushing snow and raking hay in the summer. Hauled a lot of round bales with that tractor. I would leave the cab on. In the summer I would take the doors and windows off. I ran the tractor until 2005 I up graded to a FWA tractor and a bigger skid loader.  

newoodguy78

That's definitely a good find especially with that low hours. I really like the 40 series Deeres, just good dependable workhorses. 

Does that one have a thumbscrew on top of the hydraulic pump?
If it does turning that in to destroke the pump helps starting in the cold immensely. 

Thank You Sponsors!