iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chestnuts.

Started by doc henderson, October 22, 2022, 02:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

well better than starving, I guess.  Dr. Fan My scout dad and pain management Doc friend stopped by and brought us donuts and a snack he ate growing up in re-education camps in China.  He is fortunate in a way that all children in China take an annual exam to place them in fields based on intellectual ability.  He scored well enough to go to medical school.  was a spine surgeon in China.  He got recruited to do research at Wash U in St. Lewis and took care of Christopher Reeves (superman).  He is now here doing Pain medicine and is an assistant scoutmaster in our troop.  He got us started on tea his family sends from China.  today, he brought us these.  

I think they were boiled, and organic usually tastes "not good".  not much flavor, and prob. acquired at best.  
Maybe better over and open fire.  Tis the season.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

My opinion of chinese chestnuts, they're better than acorns, usually.

Magicman

No offense intended but whatever it is in that bag looks terrible.  Some brown and some yellow?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Think of the redskin on a peanut, its the same thing. Is the word endocarp?

doc henderson

yes, the yellow is the ones split in half, innards.  did not taste bad, but not good either.  better than starving.  If you grew up on it maybe.  The ed nurses are kinda potty mouths and I cannot say what they said they looked like, but they ate them anyway!  :o :o:o  :)  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

:D I have had chestnuts and while edible they are not my favorite either. Cashews, hazelnuts and peanuts are always welcome!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kantuckid

In Eastern KY "pain clinic docs" eat steak? I know, it's a crummy joke.  ::)
I'm on the page with Chinese Chesnuts listed as a squirrel food item.
I eat pecans and almonds with my dates on the job and at home as my snacky food. Bite a date half off, toss in a nut & chomp away. 
Lately I've been into Dot's Honey Mustard Pretzels as another healthy variation... :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

Never tried a chestnut before. Never see'm here. Are they raw? Maybe you need to roast'm for 10-15 min in oil to make'm tastier, like you'd have to with beech nuts or peanuts. ;D

I like Turkish grown figs, no chemicals on'm when processed. Only kind I'll buy. And I do like a good middle eastern date. I'm off almonds, most are hard as rocks, some manufacturers use decent ones, others use hard as rock ones. So I stick to cashews, pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts, hazels, and macadamia. I like a good peanut to and only eat the natural peanut butter with the nut oil, not that stuff with added dehydr. veg oil. I always spread some good butter on first.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

There are a couple of big chestnut trees in a local park, and I've gathered a few nuts occasionally, they are all over the lawn under the tree. I just did the "score and roast" method, then the brown skins flake off easy. I wouldn't rave about the flavour, it's pretty inoffensive, been compared to sweet potato. Not a big enough fan to go and buy the nuts, but they are perfectly edible if they are free. 

I believe they have been cultivated for the last ~4,000 years, so they must have some fans out there someplace.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Wlmedley

We had three Chinese Chestnut trees in the back yard when I was a kid.We always gathered them up when they got ripe.I thought they tasted pretty good.We always ate them raw.Don't remember ever roasting them.Learned pretty quick not to go barefoot around trees.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

kantuckid

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 23, 2022, 03:52:40 PM
Never tried a chestnut before. Never see'm here. Are they raw? Maybe you need to roast'm for 10-15 min in oil to make'm tastier, like you'd have to with beech nuts or peanuts. ;D

I like Turkish grown figs, no chemicals on'm when processed. Only kind I'll buy. And I do like a good middle eastern date. I'm off almonds, most are hard as rocks, some manufacturers use decent ones, others use hard as rock ones. So I stick to cashews, pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts, hazels, and macadamia. I like a good peanut to and only eat the natural peanut butter with the nut oil, not that stuff with added dehydr. veg oil. I always spread some good butter on first.  :)
Almonds are mostly grown in CA and processed per the law other than the flavored ones. it's a required public health matter as to that processing. Growers don't do that process, no matter if they are large or small they get sent off, then returned to the seller. They are hard because they happen to be that way naturally not based on roasting. If they were soft, they've become moist from improper storage. Far cheaper when bought directly dates, figs, nuts of all kinds if you can get to the source.
I've seen larger or smaller but all the same hardness otherwise-I buy 5# bags and freeze them. Almonds are mostly never roasted but yes they're hard. I eat em most days back and forth with pecans in my lunch snack.   CA figs are either black Mission figs or the lighter ones, we like both and are dried w/o chemicals if sold as organic and likely grown w/o chemicals for figs and dates from there no matter if the grower pays the huge cost of being certified. Dates are the same deal. Turkish figs are often larger than CA figs and not quite as sweet. Roasting is implicit with chestnuts but hardly makes the Chinese version much better than an acorn for me-I spit em put the one time I tried them. Often seen in groceries in USA as a specialty produce item as they suck as food-ha!
We are a JIF family. JIF makes a bunch of types of PB under the Smuckers brand but we like the addition of molasses found in JIF's formula. The type you mention has a great flavor but can sort of choke you up based on viscosity. FWIW, a family friend is plant mgr in Lexington, KY at JIF now- he went to engineering school and played ball with our sons.
Brazil nuts are often not organic. We do roast a few of our pecans with sugar in a slow cooker for holiday treat. Most of which which all come from unsprayed and mostly from non-irrigated yard trees so can be better in good rainfall years than others while orchard pecans are more predictable and always irrigated but also higher priced. They are unofficially organic. I crack my own or when possible buy "cracked and blown" which yields more nuts per lb of uncleaned nuts, so lower shipping costs. Macadamia is very good but beyond my pockets.

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!