iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processor question - Range Road?

Started by woodrat, May 22, 2022, 08:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrat

Hey, all... 

I've been kicking around for a couple of years the idea of getting a small processor to help with my own firewood chores and then be able to sell some extra cords. 

I would be cutting mostly small and medium alder, fir, hemlock and maple off my own land here in SW WA, and also buying the occasional dump truck load of shorts and misc from local logging ops. And also probably hauling it up to my timber parcel in the Okanogan where it's small diameter fir and larch needing thinned. 

I only burn 3-4 cords a year at home, mild climate, and can imagine being able to sell another 2-3 dozen cords locally. Depending on how much time I spend at the cabin in the okanogan, not even a cord a year up there. But that parcel has thousands of cords of firewood that need to be removed. I would also be looking at a dump trailer and having the ability to deliver. 

I don't really have an unlimited budget here, and I keep coming across the range road processor in my searches which seems like the least expensive option I've seen that doesn't have me bucking the logs with a chainsaw myself. I would like to avoid bucking the logs myself if I'm going to spend money on a processor. 

I can tell just from pics that the Range Road model is not the burliest processor out there, but for the logs I have access to, it doesn't need to be. I'm not going to be shoving massive oak crotches through it, and my logs are mostly pretty straight and clean. 

Has anyone used one of these or otherwise have any useful feedback on it? 

Thanks!
Mark
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

47sawdust

I saw there range of equipment and I would not make a purchase.
Too iffy.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Crusarius

a normal hydraulic splitter is 3500 for an ok one. this entire setup is 7100. I think it is a no brainer to get one and try it out. worst case you just bought 2 log splitters. I bet you could easily dump it if you're not happy.

How are your fabrication skills? sometimes it pays to buy a mediocre something then uses all the pieces and parts to build something better or upgrade this one.

Corley5

I'd have to see one and operate it myself before I'd make a decision.  They look kinda chintzy?  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Hilltop366

Looks like you still need a way to get the log to and up on the processor, not sure what kind of support equipment you have for that and the ability to move the equipment around when not processing at home.

I have often thought for a smaller processor the "winch the log along" kind would be handy for one piece to do it all.

Wallenstein WP845 Firewood Processor - YouTube

It would be nice to get away from using a chain saw but not a deal killer for me.

Hilltop366

I looked to find prices for the Wallenstein and it looks like they are quite a bit more than the Range Road, I see that Hud-son makes a couple, one has a hyd saw.

melezefarmer

I have the older version of the range road rocessor (rr20t). We mainly heat with larch and it does a great job with bucking and splitting it. It shines when you feed it anything between 5" and 14" in diameter. 

We have a simple diy log table that greatly increases speed and safety. I can produce a full cord in 75 minutes on my own with optimal logs. However, the tonnage ratings are bunk. It definitely isn't 20t but more like 7t. So if you have the 4 way wedge up, you will have to give it a second go to split hardwood.

For the price I have no complaints but it highly depends on what you are feeding it. 

woodrat

I have a 32hp Yanmar tractor that I can put bucket forks on. And I would plan to either buy their loader attachment, or more likely, just build a simple infeed table that I could put logs onto with the tractor. 

My logs are mostly going to be in that 5-14" range, mostly clean and straight, and my hardest hardwood here is maple which is not that bad to split, and the bulk of what I have here is alder, so the the tonnage would likely be just fine.

I looked at the hud-Son and the Wallenstein and they do look beefier, but also a LOT more expensive. I don't think I could readily sell enough extra cords a year to justify that unless I decided to make it my main gig. 

I have a Wallenstein winch on the tractor, and I love it. I think it was a better value at the time I bought it than the Farmi, actually. 

As far as fabrication skills, I could probably eventually put one together that would work, with a few more tool purchases and a ton of time, but I'm not at the level that some of the guys I see on here in terms of building something from scratch. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

Crusarius

you don't need to build from scratch. sometimes it works out better to buy something that will work then use the parts from it to build better or just upgrade the machine to suit your needs.

woodrat

Quote from: Crusarius on May 24, 2022, 09:42:18 AM
you don't need to build from scratch. sometimes it works out better to buy something that will work then use the parts from it to build better or just upgrade the machine to suit your needs.
Oh, yeah, making changes and upgrades as I go along, that I can usually do pretty well. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

Nathan4104

Have you seen 'Blacks Creek' processors?  Made in Canada.  A bit pricier than Range road but not by a whole lot.  I have a 1500.  It's 15-20 years old now and has ran 50-100 cord (full cords) a year through it.  It's built to last.  The hydraulic log lift works good for a bunch smaller diameter logs, or as many as you can roll/stack onto it.  I do a cord in about an hour with nice wood. The manual saw lever speeds the 'cycle' time up in smaller wood.  Same with not waiting for a log clamp. I've rarely felt the need for one. 
Range road is likely good, but I feel this machine, for a smaller one at least, is a great value and well thought out.

Bruno of NH

Look into the Red Runner 
A bit more refined than the range road
With the saw engagement done hydraulically not ran buy pull down handle. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

I run an old Hakki Pilkeb1x37. Many similar features, but some differences too.  When I watched the videos of the machine working the deterrents I saw were as follows:

The machine seems backwards, like it's built for a lefty.  If you a lefty, then perfect!  My Hakki has a manual saw also. My wood comes in from the left and out the right.  I end up using both hands to run the saw (switching off, not at the same time). When blocks fall into the splitting chamber I move right and can do the resplits on my right side, it's kinda a big deal for me, might not be for you.

Another thing I noticed, and maybe its an option, is the infeed. how do you infeed the last few feet of the log?  Is it just sliding on the tray?  If so, if your doing this for more than your own home use, that'll get old real quick.  If your getting short wood, aka dump truck loads, you'll spend a bunch of time fighting those last cuts.

Engine size.  I think it's a 15hp? I had a Honda twin, maybe 22 or 24hp to start.  It wore itself out and cheap me got a HF Pred twin.  It's like a twin Honda, just crappier, hard starting, less powerful, and just a general let down.  Short story long, both engines are a bit short on HP, I'd love about 28 to 30hp, so.I'm thinking 15 would be painful.

As far as infeed you'll want to try and figure out your best option, that you can afford. I've got a wood log deck on the ground and the factory log lift to get wood onto my intake belt. It's not ideal, but my budget hasn't expanded to allow a real log deck yet.

Hope that gives you a few things to chew on.  The price point is appealing, but you really want to think it over before making the purchase

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

woodrat

The range road has an option for the saw bar being activated hydraulically, which I would be purchasing. 

The last section of the deck is not powered, so yeah, there would be a bit of handling of the short pieces, but my stuff is not particularly large and heavy or oddly shaped, so that probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. 

I don't think I would miss the hydraulic lift so much if I didn't order that option, since I have a tractor, and it would be pretty easy to built a log table next to the machine. 

I'll look into those other ones, too, although it looks like neither have dealers anywhere near me, and at today's diesel prices, cross country shipping might add a significant cost. Range Road has inventory in Idaho, right next door. 

Thanks for the input, this is all very helpful. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

barbender

I was in the same position, the options for an entry level processor are pretty slim. Honestly, for the size of logs that these cheaper machines can handle, I think you'd be better off just building a wood dead deck, and having a section of roller table for a manual indeed with a gas chainsaw on a pivot at the end, onto a splitter. A powered conveyor off the end would be great. This was the direction I was going to go, but I ended up finding a great deal on a Dyna SC-14. Everything I saw on the market less than $15k was pretty limited in capability or quality. 
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Quote from: barbender on May 28, 2022, 10:10:57 PM
I was in the same position, the options for an entry level processor are pretty slim. Honestly, for the size of logs that these cheaper machines can handle, I think you'd be better off just building a wood dead deck, and having a section of roller table for a manual indeed with a gas chainsaw on a pivot at the end, onto a splitter. A powered conveyor off the end would be great. This was the direction I was going to go, but I ended up finding a great deal on a Dyna SC-14. Everything I saw on the market less than $15k was pretty limited in capability or quality.
Back ten years ago or so when I looked around at processors that I could afford this is what I found. The lower end ones wouldn't do what I needed. I did build one and its worked pretty well. I have a 40 HP and a 20 HP engine on it and with a hyd saw it gives the 40 HP a work out with the saw. I used it for several years and now its just setting going on three years as we are back to cutting hedge and ever thing is so crooked its just too much work to use the processor. If I were doing it again I wouldn't of built the processor and just built a live deck with a roller conveyor and a chain saw on a pivot feeding a splitter.  

GRANITEstateMP

As we were working up a couple cord this am I got to thinking.  If I didn't have the infeed belt, or any type of infeed, it'd be a huge time suck.  I'd love to have a hydraulic saw and hydraulic infeed, but I don't mind the manual pull down saw I have, and I really couldn't, or wouldn't do without the infeed belt!

Not my best pic, but the bucket (my saw dust collector) is on the infeed belt.  When the red log lift is in the air, it acts as the infeed table extension.  This setup works great with a raised table and some rollers before the belt too.  Like I said, something more to chew on
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Crusarius on May 23, 2022, 01:21:18 PM
a normal hydraulic splitter is 3500 for an ok one.
Not to hi jack the thread but its slowed a bit so hey Crusarius could you give a us a few examples of a okay splitter for 3500?   I'm certainly interested.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Crusarius

been a while since I have shopped for them, but I used to see 32 ton splitters for around 3500. Tractor supply was one of the places I think. Northern was another.

quick google search

Quick Find (logsplittersdirect.com)

B.C.C. Lapp

I thought maybe you had been shopping and comparing lately and might have some that stood out to you.   I'm seriously considering a new and long needed up grade in my splitter but the $6000 and up price tags have me hesitating.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

woodrat

I've been trying to get shipping and pricing and ETA quotes from multiple processor and splitter companies for the past two weeks, and can't get any replies to emails or forms submitted. 

So now I'm shopping for used heavy duty splitters. And a dump trailer. 

I was trying to stick with North American made, but there's not a lot of options there, and some say right on their websites that the wait is 4-6 months. 

Slim pickings on Craigslist, but there's a few interesting deals here and there. I'll update once I finally get something sorted. Already have someone I know who immediately asked for firewood when I said I was thinking of selling some this fall, so that's a good sign. 

And getting some inquiries for sawmilling work again, too. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

woodrat

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on June 02, 2022, 09:11:24 PM
I thought maybe you had been shopping and comparing lately and might have some that stood out to you.   I'm seriously considering a new and long needed up grade in my splitter but the $6000 and up price tags have me hesitating.
I was liking the look of the smaller Timberwolf, Hud-Son and Wallensteins, but even the smaller ones of those aren't as cheap as $3500 by the time you get them speced out. 
RuggedMade is another option, although apparently not US made, or they would be bragging about it. Still, they get good reviews, and I see used ones every now and then. Free shipping, too. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

trapper

Wolfe ridge has prices on website. more money but worth it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

woodrat

Quote from: trapper on June 07, 2022, 09:08:25 PM
Wolfe ridge has prices on website. more money but worth it.
The wolf ridge equipment looks good, and not that expensive for the quality and made in north america. But their website shows a 24 week lead time on all models right now. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

woodrat

I did meet a guy the other day who has a Range Road processor and loves it, and says he has over 100 cords through it already, with good reliability and only one repair that he needed to do when the conveyor belt got misaligned and damaged. 

He said it's Canadian made, other sources have said made in China. A YT video I saw noted that the hydraulics are not standard US fittings. The dealer who was supposed to give me a shipping quote never got back to me after that, though. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

Thank You Sponsors!