iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much time to split a cord of firewood?

Started by davidlarson, May 21, 2011, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

Assuming a "pulp cord" is a standard 128 cubic foot cord, 18 hours to cut 20 cord from tree length to firewood size is pretty good.  About 10 percent better then what I figure it takes me (1 cord per hour using 1 or two 372's).  At 47 a day of that has me pretty well beat.  Hopefully by the time I get to 57 i'll be better at it :D

Magicman

Welcome FIREWOODTROLL, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CRThomas

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 22, 2011, 04:54:22 AM
With an axe, maul , sledge and wedges  about two cords a day ---maybe .
I get my firewood from a tree trimmer. I go pickup the cut logs. My truck hold about 5 ton. Split put in 1 rank bags it fills 5 bags. Then put in the dryer. Then have enough time left t wrap a 100 bundles that is only on a good day I am 70 years old. And retired. I do this 2 or 3 times a week. I deliver the rest of the week.( Info Walmart is selling wrapped firewood now that should tell you something.)

beenthere

CR
It tells me that we want to see some pictures of this operation.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hookhill

This is how we figure one cord processing with our setup. Logs are in a pile, it is summertime, Husky 372 chainsaw, SuperSplit, conveyor, 3 cord truck.

1 hour to block
1 hour to split
1/2 hour to stack
1/2 to load after wood is dry
1 hour to deliver.

= 4 hours per cord from the log pile to the customer.

We gross $250 per cord

Log length firewood delivered-$100/cord
Fuel-$10/cord
Chains, misselaneous-$5/cord

Net-$135/cord/4 hours=$33.75/hour

There is also truck insurance and registration at $1200/year and that comes off the year gross. So if we do 100 cords we net about $123/cord or $30/hr. If something big breaks, like a Cat 3126 motor.....well you might have worked all season to keep your rig going.

jamesconley1962

(Use the Grandkids to help) Before my boys left home we could do 2 cords a day, we split with a hand split mall and only used the hydraulic splitter for the tuff stuff when we had enough in the woods to make a load.   That was from the woods to the wood shed and stacked nice and neat.   

muddstopper

How fast depends a lot on your physical condition and the splitter you are using. Last year I rented one of those 22 ton jobs, dont remember the brand. It took my son and I about 4 hours to split 2 cord. I was really fed up with the speed of the splitter and I was plum worn out from having to double split almost every stick.  A few days later, I got my home made splitter finished, with 4 way blade, and we where able to do another two cord in about 45 minutes.

brianJ

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 19, 2011, 08:03:55 AM
I could back up to a bull dozed wind row and fill a 3/4 ton Ford in an hour which is about a half cord when split .By the time I had it split with an axe and delivered to the customer I had about 3-4 hours in it or about a cord a day if I cut split and delivered . Not a record but it paid nearly as well as working my regular job .
Cant say that anymore and I dont mean cause we are older & slower.

jimbarry

Just the wife and I, 16" length, using the Hakki Pilki 37 Easy, we can go from 8ft logs to 128 cu ft (4 crates of stacked hardwood) in 2 to 2-1/2 hours.  If we're cutting the bigger stuff bucking with the chainsaw and the EastonMade12-22, it takes about the same amount of time.

FairFrank

Quote from: jimbarry on April 10, 2022, 06:41:05 PM
Just the wife and I, 16" length, using the Hakki Pilki 37 Easy, we can go from 8ft logs to 128 cu ft (4 crates of stacked hardwood) in 2 to 2-1/2 hours.  If we're cutting the bigger stuff bucking with the chainsaw and the EastonMade12-22, it takes about the same amount of time.

Wow! You did a great job. Due to my back pain, 2 logs will take all my day long. It's really hard to work for me even with 6 lbs axe(this) but serious logs should meet with 10 lbs+ to my mind! 

stavebuyer

Huge time difference in splitting 16" "stove wood" like you see bundled at the gas station and turning out 24" "hunks" for a boiler.

The Eastonmade 22-28 would turn out a full cord of boiler wood in 15-20 minutes. Same machine would take an hour for 16" stove wood when including all the pieces needing to be re-split.

Those times are for splitting pre-blocked rounds. Doesn't take too long to buck up a cord with a sharp saw but you need to include the time getting the logs staged, sharpening the saw, and removing the mess. Even with a top end commercial multi-wedge splitter; 3 full cords per day is more realistic than 4.

Going to the woods after standing trees or tops and ending with a full cord of stacked 16" split stove wood would be a good day's work.

doc henderson

I cut and split about 6 cord per year.  cuz I do it here and there and everywhere, when I have time.  with helpers I can do a cord and hour or a little longer depending on the help.

edit:  1/2 cord is more realistic, and some days that is an exaggeration.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Big_eddy

Quote from: jimbarry on April 10, 2022, 06:41:05 PM
My wife and I, with chainsaw and home-made splitter (4-way) do about the same . 2 hours elapsed, 4 hours total per cord. We don't stack in racks, but we stack on the tractor bucket and transport to the pile 1/2 face cord at a time. 
16" splits, from logs 10-16" diameter. If we get into a batch of smaller logs, it goes slower. Larger logs are not faster, once we start splitting into 6's and 8'.

Thank You Sponsors!