iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing

Started by woodman58, March 09, 2010, 08:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

I am wondering what kind of price everyone gets when they plane boards to 3/4 of an inch and straight line rip 1 side. I have a dewalt singe sided planer. I will use a router jig to straight lin rip. The first 70 feet of cherry took about 2 hours. I only charged .50 BF extra. He is wanting 200 BF out of my next batch. Thanks
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

sdunston

Its just my 2cents but if you figure $80.00 for you and your tools times 2 hours is $160.00 / by 70 feet is $2.28 a foot or BF. It is what it is, dont work for free 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

WDH

You cannot cost effectively process that much lumber with the equipment that you have to yield a cost effective outcome for the customer considering commercial high volume alternates.

As long as you recognize that and the customer understands and agrees, then charge an hourly rate that you think is fair.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

We charge $.17 to S2S cedar per board foot.  But the machine can take off 5/16" each pass if needed.  Straight lining is done on the WM.   I would charge about $.15 per board foot assuming the boards were in only 4 or 5 widths so that we could edge 4 to 10 at once.
The equipment that you use has a lot to do with how long it will take.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Sawyerfortyish

It would take me about 15 minuets to surface and straight line one or both sides. It used to take me more than a day to straight line and run 3-400 ft of t&g flooring. Today I can run it in a couple hours. That taught me you must spend money to make money. I was useing old equipment and sending it through 4 machines. Now it goes through the straight line ripsaw and right into the moulder and gets handled 2 times whereas it used to be handled 8 times or more. Time is money I charge by the hour to plain and Bf to rip.

Thank You Sponsors!