iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a round walnut table

Started by tule peak timber, September 18, 2019, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Andries, for the "air tight" joints I resaw, plane , sand, cut and glue immediately-one set at a time.I use a sliding table saw to cut the shape, than 1/4 of a blade width and a fence to "double cut " a small fraction off each face easing it against the fence until I get zero clearance. I then go immediately to glue with very little or no clamping.
 When I started the walnut pie shapes I noticed a hairline gap between number 2 and 3 and quickly went to "double cutting" which solved the problem. If you can see the joint, I call it a bad joint !  Cheers Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

Routing the back bevel this morning.

Magicman

You are working and I am watching enjoying.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Good golly!!  Do you have a "custom made two piece pool cue" too?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

All halt........Smoked the router!

doc henderson

I knew some folks in CA smoked some weird stuff, but never heard of routers!!! :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

If you let the magic blue vape out its toast, if it just quit I've jumped around the soft start on my big porter cable and she fired back up and is still trucking, just hold on when you hit the go button.

tule peak timber

No blue tape on this guy. A bearing went and the stater and rotor collided----smoke literally :D

tule peak timber

Edge done and coloration applied. I'm working on the geometry for the base in another room.

Nebraska

tule peak timber

And a quick shot of epoxy buffer/seal coat before the weekend. Cheers Rob

tule peak timber

This weekend I set up the tapered staves for the base. This was scrap from the top so I needed to putty and rough size first. I had to choose between machining the staves on a tilting head shaper or on the table saw-I went with the saw approach and two jigs.

TimGA

So impressive, love it can't wait to see it completed. How many hrs do you think you will have in it?
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

tule peak timber

Hard to say how many hours. This is one of several concurrent projects in the shop , not to mention shop expansion in itself. Running the sawmill, dealing with the kiln, dealing with customers, all break up the daylight hours, while I do planning and bids mostly on weekends.
  I go to bed with a clipboard and pencil by my side. :)

tule peak timber

This morning it is all hands on deck to form up the base.

Andries

Nice!
There's as much character in the base as there is in the top.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Had to read your reply twice Andries, I thought you said "as much character as there is in the shop"  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

Another shot on the bottom before fitting the base plate.

Bruno of NH

Supper work
I don't go anyplace without Smiley  she won't let me.I rescued her and Sheila says that's why she stays on my tail.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tule peak timber

That kid looks overworked !

doc henderson

It is too bad your dogs do not get along!! :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Doc, it is a slippery slope when dog pics start popping up.......... :D

doc henderson

my blood pressure goes down just looking at your pics.  hope to visit someday.

thecfarm

Toss up....... Do I enjoy the wood working pictures of yours........or the dog pictures more.......  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

catalina

Rob, beautiful work as usual! Earlier someone asked about preventing the movement of the thick walnut and you mentioned staying tuned-The drool on my keyboard is getting pretty deep, lol. I can be slow sometimes but did I miss it? Is the secret in the speed in which you re-saw, plane, sand, cut and glue each set of wedges (wedges are as flat and straight as they are ever gonna be) and the substrate you are gluing to is super strong and flat and the glue is super penetrating and doesn't allow for movement?  I'm a sponge when it comes to woodworking information and look to the masters for knowledge every chance I can get. 

Thank You Sponsors!