iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jd 450c turbo

Started by lynde37avery, September 11, 2018, 07:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

been a while since I posted. hope everyone's doing well.

I have a 1974 john deere 450c dozer for logging.  and the turbo is making a strange noise. fluttering kind of odd whistle. not the normal turbo whistle.  I researched it some. looks to be the issue of a bad bearing in it. " T04 model turbo" I wiggled the propeller and it's got a tiny bit of play.
any experience with these?
should I fix it? "rebuild kit about $60" or go with a new one or remanufactured?
or run it a while longer and in a month do the repair?
the noise came up happening today.
thanks!  
Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

Where is the play? Up and down is normal it's in and out where it's a issue. Can you see where the blades are scraping the housing?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Firewoodjoe

I've never did a rebuild kit but I have had many turbos fail. I would fix it now. Your just saving some interest on your money. Either now or latter it's ready😕

Firewoodjoe

If it isn't the bearing then the whistle could be a small leak in your tubing.

kiko

lynde37avery

has up and down play. thanks everyone.
Detroit WHAT?

backwoodsdave

Up and down is normal as long as it's not excessive and rubbing the housing, in and out is bad, make sure you don't have a restriction on the intake side like a dirty filter or trash in the bonnet on the hood, either of those can make the rubber boot that goes from the air cleaner housing to the turbo intake collapse and cause a similar problem, that boot can get soft also collapse on its on when the engine is pulling hard, a fluttering injector or air in the system can make it sound different also, does it smoke in a hard pull when you have this problem ? Have you changed filters recently, air or fuel ?

Thank You Sponsors!