iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canned venison

Started by randy d, October 04, 2020, 06:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy d

Do any of you can venison ? My wife shot a eight pointer and I shot a four pointer and she has canned 27 pints. That is a pretty darn good fast meal. So do you like it or not. Randy

Walnut Beast

A friend of mine cans his and seems to like it for the same things you said 👍

moosehunter

Have been canning venison for years. Make gravy, put it on noodles or rice. Use it in soup or stew. Just open the jar and eat with a fork. It's all good.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

petefrom bearswamp

Moose hunter is spot on.
Didnt do any last season but will this year lord willin
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

randy d

We use the toughest cuts of meat and 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt and process for 75 min at 15 Lb of pressure and that's it good eats. Randy

Texas Ranger

Never for me, but, during WWII my mother canned deer, jack rabbit, antelope, and anything they could kill or catch to increase calorie intake during rationing
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

I've talked with my new Amish neighbors quite a lot, and talked about canning in particular!

At first it sounded a little odd, when one of them mentioned that they canned burger and sausage, but then, that's the only way they can keep it for any length of time!

I usually can a few pint jars of venison while processing my deer in the Fall!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

We use it regularly. We use pints as the right size for my wife and I so I pack the pint jars tightly with the lean trimmings like I use for bulk sausage. I pack them to the rim of the jar, put in the pressure cooker, bring to pressure (15 lbs I think) and cook for 75 minutes. Let cool and tighten/check the rings and we get 100% seal rate almost every time.

We use it for BBQ - just drain the juice off and throw it in a cast iron skillet with a little chipped up onion and whatever brand/flavor off BBQ sauce we have, heat it well and serve on a bun (with cole slaw if available).

Next option is peel and dice 5-6 potatoes and a big onion and fry them brown in a little veggie oil, then add the drained deer meat, add salt, pepper, Worchestire sauce, and maybe some hot sauce if the mood strikes you and heat thoroughly for some fine hash.

Next option is drain and empty a pint into a skillet, add a can of cream of mushroom soup and thin with more water as desired, heat and serve over rice. If you are a good gravy maker use your gravy instead of the CoM soup.

My wife will sometimes throw a can in a pot of soup but I prefer something with more fat like hamburger. I find the deer meat too lean for this application.

I do not add anything to my raw meat when I can it although some folks add a little salt as mentioned previously. I would like to know how to make corned venison while canning it but do not know the right mix and type seasoning to add to make it as it is cooking/canning. We make lots of corned deer (In fridge for about a week) but not using the pressure cooker/canning process although I think it is possible. If anybody makes canned corned venison please share your recipe here or with me on a PM. 

Chuck,

MY DIL's mom makes canned pork sausage like your Amish folks do and they seem to prefer it to the raw sausage I make. (I suspect mine is better but that is what she grew up on and developed a taste for. :D)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

You guys are makin me hungry.
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

My wife canned chicken one year. Gives it a whole different taste.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gearbox

I have canned it in the past . I packed the jars and used 10 pounds for 110 min .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WV Sawmiller

Was that pints or quarts? We used to cook 90 minutes @15 lbs pressure for quarts. 75 minutes for pints. Pints work best for us. Lots of people add salt, pepper, garlic, etc. I use nothing but deer meat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I have a small pressure cooker that Mom gave me years ago!

It will hold 5 regular pints (not wide-mouth)!

I put about 2 inches of water in it with the jars of venison and put the weight on (not adjustable) and turn on the heat!

Once the water gets hot enough to steam, adjust the heat so the weight gently rocks, the set the timer for 45 minutes!

All I add to my venison is a medium pinch of salt!

As mentioned, it really makes for a quick meal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

Since you are still alive to write this that must work okay. I wonder what pressure your cooker is using to complete it that fast. I know the manual that came with ours specified 75 minutes for pints and 90 for quarts. The higher the pressure the faster the processing. 

Our former (Pre-virus) cleaning lady is scared of pressure cookers and uses the old water bath method but I know I have read on several sites that it is never safe to can meat that way. Evidently we need the higher temperature to kill the bugs in the meat. We have the big canner and it will do 7 quarts or 11 regular pints - 9-10 if they are wide mouth. 
Howard Green

kantuckid

County home Ec agents usually have pressure cooker testers.
FWIW, I dislike venison in any cut, cooking method or whatever.
I let a neighbor hunt our deer. Meanwhile several others have decided they get rights here w/o asking, go figure huh? Our new game warden is gonna help me on that one-so I'm hoping.
We can very little other than maters and some relishes, jams and jellies. We freeze beans, corn, okra, nuts, dates and meats as we prefer the fresh taste freezing provides.  
I'm wondering why canning lids have gone through the roof since covid? Not much steel in a lid...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

thecfarm

kantuckid, I learned the rule of supply and demand in 3rd grade. That really stuck with me.
I saw this coming, with our suppliers, I work in a hardware store. In fact I went to another one of our stores and bought all the lids they had, only 7 packages. I told them they won't be able to get anymore and they looked at me like I was crazy. They found out!! 
We have always been able to get really anything.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Ray;  I just go by the instructions in the booklet that was in the pressure cooker when I got it!

All it says is for meat, after it seals and you have steam, heat for 45 minutes while the weight gently rocks side to side!

Been using it for many years!

kantuckid

Quote from: thecfarm on October 07, 2020, 05:38:34 AM
kantuckid, I learned the rule of supply and demand in 3rd grade. That really stuck with me.
I saw this coming, with our suppliers, I work in a hardware store. In fact I went to another one of our stores and bought all the lids they had, only 7 packages. I told them they won't be able to get anymore and they looked at me like I was crazy. They found out!!
We have always been able to get really anything.
Covid=19 Millenials are at home & learning to cook & can?  :D Thats not all they've run up the price on! It's a long list which includes dairy products along with meats. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

thecfarm

Can you find Arrow staples? They just shut down due to covid. The shelves at the store are almost bare of staples. I was able to order 8 packages of ½ inch ones.
I have no idea what happen at the Ball plant. Or where ever they make the lids.

Chuck White

For a while, in this area finding a freezer was all but impossible!

Apparently people were buying them up, then shopping to fill them so that they wouldn't have to go out nearly as often!

Thank You Sponsors!