iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Universal timber sizes?

Started by forrestM, February 02, 2021, 06:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Hello,

I have a pile of ash logs I would like to turn into timbers before they rot. I don't have a specific plan for a timber frame project in the future, and I know each project is different...but I'm wondering if there are some general timber sizes I could go ahead and cut to, so that no matter what I cut it may be useful In the future, or something that someone might buy from me. I figure whatever we come up with I would oversize by an inch or so so that it can be cleaned up / straightened when the time comes. 

Any advice on some practical sizes?

Thanks,
Forrest

DonW

When you have no intended use at the outset, meaning application, meaning time-frame, meaning storage and so on and so on it's a good practice to mill the wood to the thickest practicle thickness, leave the wane and then take precautions to properly season based on these dimensions.

Also with Ash it is better to remove its bark. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

pineywoods

I frequently have people come to my mill and say "I need some boards" What size ? Don't really know. OK what will you use them for? Most of the time what they want is either 2X4 or 1X12, just have no idea what sizes lumber comes in.  Maybe I should just sell them 2X3 or   1X9 ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Stephen1

Ash beams tend to check bad from my experience. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

On the contrary I've had good luck with Standing dead ash.  

So first thing you need to decide is are you going to use nominal dimensions or actual dimensions?  In other words do you want an actual 8x8 or 7.5x7.5?  I prefer actual dimensions and that extra half inch is noticeable.  I also usually oversize timbers by 1/2" in each direction, because I will go back and plane them later with the mill planer/jointer.  So to end up with an 8x8, I'll cut it 8.5x8.5.  So if it bows I'll at least be able to take off that much to help straighten it.  That usually works unless I suspect it will bow more than that.  Usually you won't get much bow on a boxed heart timber, which Is what I typically do.  You will get checks though, and that 1/2" will help you square it up again.

So typical sizes I mill to on hardwood boxed heart?
8.5x8.5  (typical posts)
8.5x10.5 for shorter span tie beam or purlins, or king post
8.5x12.5 for tie beams, which must be a higher quality beam, also could be for king post

4.5x8.5 Free of heart or boxed heart for brace stock

I mostly cut Ash, Walnut, and Cherry

Oak is a different story.  I don't get to cut much oak.  Oak that I've purchased can move a bunch as it dries, so it's best to get it close to when you need it, cut the joinery and get it assembled.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!