iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone help with TJ Hercules winch dimensions?

Started by daver18qc, February 27, 2021, 11:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daver18qc

Hi guys!
I am making a scale model of a Timberjack and have everything done but the winch.
I settled on a Hercules, but i'd very much appreciate if anyone could give me the dimensions of the empty spool; diameter and width.
Doesn't have to be precise to the 1/8" but ideally not 6 inches off either.

I tried looking on the web but seems like Hercules doesn't make TJ winches anymore, all i found was some blue winch for a tow truck.

Teaser picture:

so il logger

Can't help with your question as I don't have a small tj anymore. But am interested in what this project is. Ive seen r/c models that are very detailed and functioning. Or is it a computer gaming mod like for farming simulator? I'm not an advocate of gaming for kids but that is a neat one that I don't mind so much for my boys playing. 

daver18qc

It's a remote controlled 3D printed 1/12 scale model made in Fusion360.

I've started making the winch by eyeballing it, i should be done in a day or two.
It's already printed mostly, just missing the rear frame and winch to complete.

I will post pictures once it's finished.

tacks Y

thecfarm

I would like to see a picture of it. Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

daver18qc

Quote from: tacks Y on February 28, 2021, 03:10:20 AM
Maybe try TJ junkie site?
I've eye-balled it and have a prototype printing now, stay tuned :)

Quote from: thecfarm on February 28, 2021, 07:11:18 AM
I would like to see a picture of it. Welcome to the forum.
I will post more pictures once it's finished printing, i'm still missing some electronics i ordered to make it work but i will have a finished "static" model by tonight if i'm lucky. Here's a teaser in the meantime:

EDIT: Crap it's rotated 90deg, oh well..

thecfarm

There is a place to rotate pictures in the gallery.
That sure does look good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

daver18qc

Kinda almost finished, missing motors still. I thought i'd have enough of 1kg of orange to print all this but i was badly mistaken, and sure enough when i went to order another spool in panic, it was all out of stock.

So i switched to another "orange" which is nearly peach compared to my first one but hey, i got a complete model that i can paint now :D

And there's all kinds of magic happening underneath that little H cover :D
This is a winch with a free spool function that i designed, not without some headaches..  ::)

:snowball: Less talk, moar pics?

Tacotodd

If you want it REALLY accurate, the wire rope industry makes some TINY rope that'll replace your rope. Just sayin.
Trying harder everyday.

daver18qc

Quote from: Tacotodd on March 01, 2021, 10:59:35 PM
If you want it REALLY accurate, the wire rope industry makes some TINY rope that'll replace your rope. Just sayin.
Yeah i have some tiny steel wire but i'm afraid for my fingers, plus it wouldn't be as easy to crimp some end stops compared to gluing some to a rope  :laugh:
(I got the kind they sell to hang paintings on walls)

But i think i will just dye/paint the rope grey so it doesn't look as obvious  ;D

EDIT: Thinking about it for a day and i guess i could solder a blob on the end of the wire to make the stopper, but i'm also not sure the (lack of) weight of the chokers would make the wire wanna coil itself to take back it's shape when it was rolled into a spool.... I'm gonna think about it some more and maybe find a solution.

daver18qc

Still waiting on my motors to show up to do a video, they decided to take a 5 day vacation at the customs office apparently... :new_year:

daver18qc

So i finally got another spool of that color and re-printed all the back section in the correct color, it no longer looks pink 8). Went to take some pics then forgot the "engine" grills :-\.

I swapped the initial N20 gear motors for some 050 since the N20s weren't torquey enough and would stall on any kind of incline without any load.
It's better now but i'll still look for other more powerful options just for the heck of it.
I'll bring out the grills next time and do a video!

Thank You Sponsors!