iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Universal Joint suppliers

Started by craigc90, January 21, 2004, 07:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

I have been looking for a metric u-joint for the rear driveshaft of my Honda Foreman. Not having any luck so far. Honda does not sell the u-joint . You have to buy the rear drive shaft and knuckle as a unit $265.00. I am hoping one of the multi talented folks here on the forum might have a source for u-joints by cap and cross size in metric. The caps are 17mm and the cross size is 45mm. I have the old one out and for life of me cant figure out why they dont sell the u-joint seperate.
I have found a used shaft for $100.00 but it is probably not in very good shape. A phone number or link to anywhere in the US if any one has been through this before.

ADfields

These guys should have what you need if you call them up.
http://www.axlesystem.com/atvdriveaxles.htm

Or you could try Spicer at.
http://www.spicerdriveshaft.com/

Andy

etat

Most anything odd or unusual concerning bearings or joints I get at Bearing Supply  at Tupelo MS.  Anything to do with a bearing or joint they either have it, or can get it.  I've bought quite a bit from them, including some foreign bearings that would have been really expensive if I'd of had to bought oem.  I usually just take the old part in and get them to match it.  I don't know if there'll be one close to where you live  but it might be worth checking on.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Buzz-sawyer

I total see your point .....I once had a datsun that required the whole shaft be purchased...NO WAY  NO HOW!  I ground of thr crimps and cross refrenced an american universal then installed it and put a tack weld on each ear to hold....It lasted the life of the car and cost bout 6 bucks versus the 200 plus they wanted for the whole shaft!!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

craigc90

I love this place . I spent an hour reading search results on google today and came up empty handed. 10 min.s here and i have some good information. This forum has an answer for everthing. Thanks guys.

Haytrader

craig,

You got it right.
Smart fellers here.
There are even expert welders here too.
I've heard that they can weld everything but 'the crack of dawn' and a 'broken heart'

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

rebocardo

Most drive line shops that cater to trucks (classs 8 tractor trailer) can whiz up any drive shaft with any type of U-J in no time. When I twisted my driveshaft on my van, I went to one and they had me up and running in no time. Usually costs about $100-$150. Just in case you are really stuck.

Now, if this U-J is held on with straps, I would look up a UJ in a Spicier or Federal catclog and find one exactly the same in cap width or pretty near. If all you can get is near, I would go for one that is standard (vs. metric) size that applies to something that has sold a million units such as a Chevy or Ford Pickup. Then take the UJ to a machine shop and have them machine out the yokes a tad and get new straps made up or most likely reuse the new ones. Because if you are only having a few hundred grinded off the yokes, the new straps should work fine.

ScottAR

I worked at a parts store just out of high school.  They had a smarty pants salesman that knew everything and did nothing if you catch my meaning. ::)  My boss had been there 30+ years and really did know everything there was to know about parts as far as I was concerned.  Anywho, The salesman was talking about some special $40 ujoints he had to get for his 4 wheeler. ( I don't remember what)  My boss asked to see these "special" ujoints.  He walked over to the ujoints and pulled out one for a big truck PTO shaft and said " That'll be $8:00"  The saleman was just a tad embarassed and I was laughing my fool head off.
on the inside. ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

craigc90

no luck today tried everywhere. even Dana Spicer Corp.
This u-joint is tiney. Everyone has listings for small u-joints but not that small it is smaller than a pto shaft u-joint.the caps are 17mm about the size of a nickel and the cross size is 45 mm. I might try to go up to 11/16 standard size cap joint but the yokes are thin as it is if I start making the holes bigger I will probably break something. I am about ready to give up. Maybe its time to send some more money to Japan.

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

craigc90

cktate  
     I found  knuckles like that on e-bay a week ago. The Honda shop says the one that fits my bike is for a 1986 or87 only. the newer ones wont fit. I was thinking of buying one and trying to take the u-joint out without damaging it. That lookes just like my knuckle but the splines where it slides on the drive shaft are different. If I could buy one cheap I am going to try that.  The Honda shop says the u-joint is bigger on the newer ones?? But who knows.

Kevin

There are oodles of them out there but you'll likely have to make some phone calls to see if you can find one to match.

U-Joints

Thank You Sponsors!