iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automatic stop on Cooks sharpener

Started by vfauto, March 18, 2013, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

:P I was wondering if any one with a Cat Claw sharpener has modified it with some sort of limit switch to shut it off when done? Any info would be great.

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

SPD748

I don't have a band sharpener however I'd imagine that an automatic stop would require something that would clamp onto the band and make contact with a switch once the trip was made. Shouldn't be all that difficult to fabricate. One question though. Would sharpening a band be an operation that you would want to walk away from while in progress?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Ga Mtn Man

I don't have a sharpener but I have seen the Cook's in operation.  I would think that something clamped to the blade and a strategically located limit switch tied to a relay or contactor would do the trick.

lee beat me to it...doh :D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

customdave

Yes , I ordered mine from factory from cooks with a timer on it, set timer & it shuts unit off, so you can walk away & do something else, set maybe...., nice feature to have , wasn't  very costly if I remember correctly...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

JohnSR

Thanks Dave for the heads-up. Just dropped Cooks an email for more info on the timer. Can't find it in their catalogue. It sure would make sharpening easier when setting and sharpening at the same time. Looking forward to their response.

vfauto

Quote from: JohnSR on March 18, 2013, 11:13:40 PM
Thanks Dave for the heads-up. Just dropped Cooks an email for more info on the timer. Can't find it in their catalogue. It sure would make sharpening easier when setting and sharpening at the same time. Looking forward to their response.
Thanks JohnSR let us know what they say please.

Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

JohnSR

Got an email this morning from James at Cook's. and yes they have the timer. The part number is 112-120 and costs $98.50. Think I'll order one today. 8)

vfauto

Do you now how it works? How do you know how long it takes to sharpen a blade with out watching and timing it. The limit switch sounds easier ??? ??? ???

Thanks Frank

Chuck White

If it's just a simple timer, you could go to Walmart and buy one, plug it into the wall, then plug the sharpener into it!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JohnSR

Chuck, that is true but what would worry me is if the el-cheapo timer could handle the watts that the Cat Claw pulls. There are two motors on the sharpener and one of them is pretty beefy. Both run at the same time. Looked at a photo timer which would be ideal but it could only handle 700 watts plus costs more than Cooks. Like the magnet shutoff the best but don't think Cooks offer it. Was thinking of building one but can't figure out how to get the magnet through the standoff rollers.

Chuck White

John, I didn't take the amperage of the motors into consideration, there's the ½Horse grinder motor along with the gear motor for the feed!

I know that on the Wood-Mizer drag type sharpener the magnet is placed on the blade once the blade has some sharpened teeth beyond the sharpener area.

If you could get the components to make a magnetic shut-off, maybe you could place the magnet up on a tooth in order to clear the rollers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Mayby its just me but I don't like to leave any machine unattended running.I usally find something to do in the shop within earshot of the grinder,setting bands most often.A magnet stuck to the outside of the band and a switch with one of those spring feelers on the input side of the grinder would turn the trick. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bushhog920

I am about to get a digital counter and prox switch to put on mine. it would display the number of teeth sharpened and shut off when the preset in reached. look on ebay for digital counters. I work at the hyundai plant in maintenance and have been exposed to the world plc's, cnc's, robots, etc. and my head has been spinning with ideas but no time to cut anymore.

Jim H

I have the timer on my Cook's sharpener, I like it alot. The time to sharpen a blade at a given speed only took a couple of blades to figure out. I made a marks on the timer for a couple of different speeds and the grinder stops within several teeth of the weld. I used a Woodmizer sharpener for about 18 yrs. The magnetic shut off worked ok but doesn't shut off the coolant pump, plus every so often I would do something wrong and the machine wouldn't shut down on it's own and would keep grinding teeth until I stopped it. The timer has been a bit more foolproof for me.      Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Chuck White

As far as the Cat Claw sharpener goes, I'm with Frank!

I don't like to leave the sharpener going without being right there to shut it off!

However, if you're into doing 2 or more tasks at the same time, an auto shut-off would be handy!

thecfarm

vfauto,if you need a magnet I have some REAL strong ones,maybe too strong. little more than an inch wide by 1½ inches long,¼ inch thick. No way it would fall off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!